[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Join requests: Fantasy Keeper League

Requests to join the Keeper league can be placed here. If accepted, you will be allowed into the Keeper League forum.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:54 am
And Ktown is in! I'll have my logo up next week when I'm back in Kelowna!

Thanks for setting this up!!
The Heatwave will return in 2015!
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:25 am
Racki wrote:
Why would we draft a team 2 months before the season starts though?

What do you mean by "if it somehow fails?". Do you mean if we can't have it do what we need to? I'm not a Yahoo pool expert, but I actually think it can. Gr8one or someone else that has Gm'd pools can maybe speak to that.

The yahoo draft is probably a lot more efficient / reliable a draft than anything, as you don't have to wait on anyone (i.e. you don't have to start it two months in advance to ensure the draft is done in time... it's done in an hour or so). People have ~2 minutes to make a pick before they are auto-picked for. We set up a date as far as when the draft runs (that will work for as many people as possible)... and if you don't make it, well, too bad so sad... but at least you get a decent roster from the autodraft.

None of this stuff is a deal breaker, BTW... we're all just talking here... trying to come up with the best solution that works with the pool format you like and makes it as easy as possible to manage and fun. So anything I'm saying here (and I'm sure the same goes for anyone else) is just a mere suggestion... maybe a very heavy suggestion though. :lol:

Edit by NorOil: I gone done made myself some error down in here. Check my reply below :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:41 am
Hey everybody,

If there is still room I would love to join. Team name rebels.
REBELS
Coach
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 am
Mlab90 wrote:Hey everybody,

If there is still room I would love to join. Team name rebels.

Still room! Accepted and welcome!
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
Coach
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:07 am
Racki:

Yes, by 'fails' I mean that it cannot accomodate our (well, 'my') needs. I am skeptical to autodrafting because it is calculated from the scoring system of that league. It will not take into consideration a player's age, cap hit and many other factors that we ourselves can (and should) consider. I'm not sure if many players here would make a 500 name prioritized draft list either, although I might ;)

As I wrote in our mail correspondence, the excel sheet will enable us to score our roster efficiently - all that's needed is to plot in 5 factors for 23-35 players. That hardly takes more than 20 minutes each month. The rest is done by the excel sheet itself, summing up individual points, total points and calculating salary totals and more.

General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 am
NorwegianOiler wrote:Racki:

Yes, by 'fails' I mean that it cannot accomodate our (well, 'my') needs. I am skeptical to autodrafting because it is calculated from the scoring system of that league. It will not take into consideration a player's age, cap hit and many other factors that we ourselves can (and should) consider. I'm not sure if many players here would make a 500 name prioritized draft list either, although I might ;)

As I wrote in our mail correspondence, the excel sheet will enable us to score our roster efficiently - all that's needed is to plot in 5 factors for 23-35 players. That hardly takes more than 20 minutes each month. The rest is done by the excel sheet itself, summing up individual points, total points and calculating salary totals and more.

First off, stop editting my posts. :lol:

Secondly, point noted on the salary. I think that is the kicker and probably the deal breaker to using a Yahoo pool (unless we worried about Cap compliance sometime after the draft... trade/waive to get compliant.. although I already know that is not going to be a happy solution for you).

As far as drafting of players and being stuck with the autodraft results... I don't think that's a valid argument, all due respect. If you want to draft the players you want, you show up for the draft rather than auto-piloting. Simple as that. You show up for the draft, then you get the team/players you want. However, given the para above, this is probably moot anyways.
Coach
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 am
Racki wrote:

Secondly, point noted on the salary. I think that is the kicker and probably the deal breaker to using a Yahoo pool (unless we worried about Cap compliance sometime after the draft... trade/waive to get compliant.. although I already know that is not going to be a happy solution for you).

As far as drafting of players and being stuck with the autodraft results... I don't think that's a valid argument, all due respect. If you want to draft the players you want, you show up for the draft rather than auto-piloting. Simple as that. You show up for the draft, then you get the team/players you want. However, given the para above, this is probably moot anyways.

Haha. I clicked "edit" instead of "quote" and voilá - all kinds of crap happened :D

Sure, but having an autodraft that completely ignores a major aspect is as bad as people not being around for a draft at all. At that point the idea of the league crumbles.

At least if we're drafting by way of the forum it may take longer, but people have a wee bit more time to be around too. I'm not saying we won't have to 'force draft' or delay picks, but at least people can't be autodrafted into Nick Lidström's 6M dollar 1 year contract over, for example, Drew Stafford or Nathan Horton - just because Liddy will likely score more points this season.

I seriously hope people will be active enough to follow this inaugural draft though - it's the groundworks for years to come and certainly the single most important event of the league as a whole.

(Seems like we're having our talk both here and by mail, let's keep it to mail. I'm confused :D) Rather just post the bullet points here later :D

General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:16 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:
Racki wrote:

Haha. I clicked "edit" instead of "quote" and voilá - all kinds of crap happened :D

Sure, but having an autodraft that completely ignores a major aspect is as bad as people not being around for a draft at all. At that point the idea of the league crumbles.

At least if we're drafting by way of the forum it may take longer, but people have a wee bit more time to be around too. I'm not saying we won't have to 'force draft' or delay picks, but at least people can't be autodrafted into Nick Lidström's 6M dollar 1 year contract over, for example, Drew Stafford or Nathan Horton - just because Liddy will likely score more points this season.

I seriously hope people will be active enough to follow this inaugural draft though - it's the groundworks for years to come and certainly the single most important event of the league as a whole.

(Seems like we're having our talk both here and by mail, let's keep it to mail. I'm confused :D) Rather just post the bullet points here later :D

We can talk in the email.. was just addressing the draft comment because it was posted here :P And like I said, the draft thing was moot anyways because of the salary issue.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:02 pm
I see no team "Gilbert". Hmmm.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 pm
In!

Bulldogs please!

/edit

I see Bulldogs taken, let me ponder a little further on team name, but count me in for sure.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 pm
Gr8one can have bulldogs, and I'd like to step down from the draft, sorry for any inconveniance. Not sure if this is the right style of draft for me after carefully reviewing the rules and the spreadsheet. Good luck to all participants :!:
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 am
gr8one wrote:In!

Bulldogs please!

/edit

I see Bulldogs taken, let me ponder a little further on team name, but count me in for sure.

gr8one wrote:
Registered and accepted!

dawgtoy wrote:Gr8one can have bulldogs, and I'd like to step down from the draft, sorry for any inconveniance. Not sure if this is the right style of draft for me after carefully reviewing the rules and the spreadsheet. Good luck to all participants :!:

Too bad, dawgtoy. I'd love for you to send a PM and elaborate a bit so I know what is the problem. Maybe you can get an expansion team next season, when automation kicks in? :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:35 pm
In reference to Dawgtoy's comments I've also been on the fence. This draft process could be extremely time consuming (I have to move up to Edmonton soon and get ready for school). I'll most likely take part in the draft but I can't garuntee up to date stats every month. I've only looked at the excel file from my phone so far but I'll see if I can help "pretty it up" later. :p And isn't the age of the player a little redundant?
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:49 pm
zackman35 wrote:In reference to Dawgtoy's comments I've also been on the fence. This draft process could be extremely time consuming (I have to move up to Edmonton soon and get ready for school). I'll most likely take part in the draft but I can't garuntee up to date stats every month. I've only looked at the excel file from my phone so far but I'll see if I can help "pretty it up" later. :p And isn't the age of the player a little redundant?

It will likely go over a few weeks (it is 25 rounds after all - but that's what it takes - and it will be the only draft of its kind ;))

Player age inclusion is purely for preference. If you cannot update the stats one month your scoring roster simply remains the same - for better or worse. Heck, if you send the email I'll update it for ya ;)

Changing the aesthetics of the sheet is up to each member - it's unfortunately been run through my excel conversion which crapped up the colours a wee bit. Still, it's good to use and covers just about everything that needs to be done during this season.

Give it a chance :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:46 am
On second thought, I've reviewed the excel sheet and I've been thinking about it the last few days and I think I'm going to have to step out. I would still like to play in a keeper league but I'm going to play ST this time around and step back and get a good assessment on things first. Best of luck to all players participating!

You can delete my team post from the team thread however, I still wish to be a part of this group to view posts and topics that go on over the course of the season if that's okay with staff. Thanks for the opportunity!
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:53 pm
An official sig now for my team... you have all lost already.
Coach
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 am
Yah, you better live up to that sig, or you'll be the next Sharks ;)

Once Trogdor and Crott posts their team names we'll start the draft. There's still room for a couple of more GMs, but by Monday night I'll arrange a draft lottery together with Racki to decide the draft order.

I will use www.futureme.org (an email site that allows the sending of delayed emails). From this site I will send Racki a randomized list of the teams that partake in the league. Between the time I send the mail and it arrives (say a day's delay), Racki will send me a scrambled list of numbers that correlate to the teams. I will then post the team order according to what Racki sent me. He will be able to confirm the numbers once the email arrives in his inbox. (Ex. I had the Thunder in 13th place, Racki has #13 fourth on his list. Thus, the Thunder would draft 4th overall)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 am
NorwegianOiler wrote:Yah, you better live up to that sig, or you'll be the next Sharks ;)

Once Trogdor and Crott posts their team names we'll start the draft. There's still room for a couple of more GMs, but by Monday night I'll arrange a draft lottery together with Racki to decide the draft order.

I will use http://www.futureme.org (an email site that allows the sending of delayed emails). From this site I will send Racki a randomized list of the teams that partake in the league. Between the time I send the mail and it arrives (say a day's delay), Racki will send me a scrambled list of numbers that correlate to the teams. I will then post the team order according to what Racki sent me. He will be able to confirm the numbers once the email arrives in his inbox. (Ex. I had the Thunder in 13th place, Racki has #13 fourth on his list. Thus, the Thunder would draft 4th overall)

Man... Crott is playing?

I guess that means we have our champion...

:lol:
"You either drop sweat today, or tears tomorrow." - SlayerS'MMA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:19 am
Well I've finally decided on a name for my team... can I reserve it to use next season when I join, or would I have to play this season? :P
Coach
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:31 am
zackman35 wrote:Well I've finally decided on a name for my team... can I reserve it to use next season when I join, or would I have to play this season? :P

I'd prefer it if you played, but bring the name on and it's reserved for a year ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Join Requests