[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Ryan Whitney not 100%...

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:14 pm
zackman35 wrote:
hemmerlady wrote:
Racki wrote:From Tencer's twat: "Ryan Whitney says he's still struggling a bit with edge work on his backwards skating, but doesn't think it'll be an issue when camp starts."

Hmm. I'm a little suspicious because of possibly unfounded rumours about management rushing players back...regardless, I don't think Whitney should push himself too hard. As much as we need him, I'm the first to say that, I'd hate to have him aggravate it and be out for longer.

You know Hemmerlady that crossed my mind as well. If Whitney is out even for the first ten games I can't see us being successful without him on the team. And if ST lands in the bottom three for standings this season I can see him being fired (silver lining is the chance at "generational talent" - but I doubt it's that good. The pressure is on regardless, we may not be a playoff team but I'd think Katz would re-adress management if we are 25th or worse this year. This is the year we start "competing".

That's a good point. I agree with you that without some solid D, we're going to see some more tanking and that this may be the defining year for ST. Ideally, we'd squeak into 8th place in the West but I don't think that's going to happen. I'm optimistic but I'm not delusional. I would be moderately satisfied (as in, disappointed again but not fundamentally humiliated) with a 9th or 10th place finish. Anything less, and as a fan I would probably be looking to turf Tambi. Tough t***ies, Tambi, your tenure is terminated, ta-ta. Expectations may be too high, I wonder what Katz is thinking about the upcoming season's results.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:07 pm
An update from Jason Gregor on this.

Basically, it sounds like the Oilers are being more patient with Whitney and not rushing him back. As Gregor notes, this likely wouldn't have been the case in the past. A new philosophy perhaps? This might be due to the scrutiny the medical staff has taken after a few awful injury plagued seasons, complains by Souray about being forced into action too soon and such.

I have been on both sides of this, but I will say that I like that they're being cautious now. The same goes for Hemsky as well as Teubert.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:18 pm
Racki wrote:An update from Jason Gregor on this.

Basically, it sounds like the Oilers are being more patient with Whitney and not rushing him back. As Gregor notes, this likely wouldn't have been the case in the past. A new philosophy perhaps? This might be due to the scrutiny the medical staff has taken after a few awful injury plagued seasons, complains by Souray about being forced into action too soon and such.

I have been on both sides of this, but I will say that I like that they're being cautious now. The same goes for Hemsky as well as Teubert.

Well, Teubert was in the stands on that other article on camp. Also, a guy who is still using crutches should be taking it slow. :|

Anything on Brule? Nary a word.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:20 am
Brule was in the Training Camp line up.. playing with Hordichuk and Petrell. Lennart Petrell. I just like saying the name Leannart in my head.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:56 pm
Racki wrote:Brule was in the Training Camp line up.. playing with Hordichuk and Petrell. Lennart Petrell. I just like saying the name Leannart in my head.

Thanks. This is online in today's Journal http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/O ... story.html

Whitney taking the slow, and proper, road to recovery.
Last edited by chucker on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:12 pm
Word on Twitter was that Brule was flying in this afternoon's intra-squad game (Joey Moss Cup).
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:49 pm
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/0 ... py-camper/

Not good at all.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:43 pm
don't like the article headline, very misleading, but I agree with the content it is worrying.

They shouldn't risk him in any games untill he is 100% even if that takes up untill November
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:52 pm
The tough thing is that it's unknown how long he'll be out, but he might not even miss a regular season game. I think it would be good for him to get a conditioning stint though, given how much hockey he's missed.
Previous

Return to Edmonton Oilers