[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Ebs, Hall & N.Schultz get "A"s for effort

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 pm
Just in case you missed it, Ebs, Hallsy and Nick Schultz will be wearing the A's for the Oil this year. Ebs full time, Hall and Schultz to be splitting duty.

As per Oilers Press Release

oh, and as per Marmaduke, Harvey the Rabbit and my cousin Vinny
The Heatwave will return in 2015!
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:56 pm
Insert standard happiness about Ebs and Hall here.

I'm really happy about Nick Schultz getting the A. He's not your typical glamorous defenseman. He is, however, a very solid, stay-at-home, reliable guy. Doobie was recently mentioning in an interview too about this, how he feels pretty relaxed when N. Schultz is on the ice. Our blue line could be a lot better this year with some solid defense minded guys in Fistric, N. Schultz and Ladi Smid, each paired up with a guy that can play a decent two way game in Whitney, J. Schultz and Petry.

Of course, we're one or two injuries away from disaster again, and we still need work in the net.

Ship Khabi off to Kazakhstan and get us a guy who can play consistently! ;) (Just not Louuuuuu!)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:09 pm
I ain't gonna complain if and when Ebs gets the "C" down the line but I always thought Hall would be that guy. He just seems more likely to grab the team on his shoulders and take command of the team when needed.

As for the D, provided that Ryan Whitney is healthy it isn't all that bad anymore. I like how balanced it is/can be now. Each pairing has a shutdown guy and a puck mover on it.

Smid, Petry
N.Schultz-J.Schultz
Fister-Whitney

Not bad..........Not bad at all :D

Biggest question mark now is in goal and I truly believe that Dubnyk can be a solid tender for this team but I would still like to see an upgrade over Khabby for the backup position.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 pm
It's looking like this team is finally making some steps towards competing and establishing a 'new era' for culture. Personally I think we are pretty good with our top nine, anyone between Hall/Eberle, Yakupov/Hemsky should be able to do pretty well and having a potential franchise center *knock on wood* in Nuge really makes things exciting. As long as Nuge an Samwise can win face-offs we should have little offensive worries.

As for our D, I think we'd truly establish ourselves if ST made a huge splash for a legitimate number one D-man. He doesnt have to be Pronger-esque in style but he should be a legitimate number one guy. I'm not sure who ST could target but I think that's what it's going to take to really push this team over the top. I must say though Fistric is an excellent bottom pairing/PK addition.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:09 pm
I hate myself for saying that I am excited for hockey to start. Is there a support group? :lol:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 pm
Zack wrote:It's looking like this team is finally making some steps towards competing and establishing a 'new era' for culture. Personally I think we are pretty good with our top nine, anyone between Hall/Eberle, Yakupov/Hemsky should be able to do pretty well and having a potential franchise center *knock on wood* in Nuge really makes things exciting. As long as Nuge an Samwise can win face-offs we should have little offensive worries.

As for our D, I think we'd truly establish ourselves if ST made a huge splash for a legitimate number one D-man. He doesnt have to be Pronger-esque in style but he should be a legitimate number one guy. I'm not sure who ST could target but I think that's what it's going to take to really push this team over the top. I must say though Fistric is an excellent bottom pairing/PK addition.

I obviously agree that acquiring a true number one D would be incredible, but if Whitney really is healthy then I think an addition of a solid top 4 guy that has a well rounded game(Think Carl Gunnarson type) would go a long way, especially since I think we also really need some size and toughness down the middle.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm
I may one day eat my words, but I'm not much of a Whitney fan, never have really been that much of one... would take Visnovsky back in a heartbeat. I would move him for a solid D star if we ever got the chance. Put together a splendid package for some super-talent in return.

But I do always welcome eating my words in a case like this. Hopefully I'm wrong, and he blows us all away. I think he realizes he has a lot to prove. I think he's a good character guy though, I just can't stand watching the fact that he's played about 50% (no exaggeration!) of last 5 NHL seasons. Not good. We need a guy who can be a part of this team in more than just spirit. This is the final year of his contract. If he has a good year, I hope to hell the Oilers are smart enough to take things one year at a time with him.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 pm
I am hating myself for bagging on Whitney. LOL

He has a lot to prove and he knows it and wants to prove a lot.

But even if I get on a player, I always hope they turn things around. I hope Whitney has a big year this year. Still not sure it's a good idea to keep him around for another year or more, but would be OK with one year at a time if he plays well. I know he can be a good D when completely healthy, that's not really a question.

Return to Edmonton Oilers