[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Smid signs!

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:04 am
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
GM Steve Tambellini announces #Oilers have agreed to terms with defenceman Ladislav Smid on a 4-year contract extension ($3.5 AAV)
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 am
Yes, this is awesome news, and I'm pretty damn happy. They signed him for the bottom end of what he was looking for, and I think most people feel he is worth more than that. Great deal!
Coach
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:46 am
Fair play. 3M would have been excellent, 4M too high. I like Smid and he could easily be part of a cup winning team. It's time to supplement his talent with something else that the low-end defensemen that are Whitney, Potter, Peckham and others.

(Tambellini's version of an April Fool's joke, "Did we say we signed him to a deal? Yes. Did we really? Yes. Was it actually for 6M per year? Yes." *Stupid grin he uses at Draft Lottery Show*)
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 am
$3M would be better, because $3M is < $3.5M... that's about all. Really, a solid shutdown defenseman like Smid would probably get over $4M on the market, so I'd say we did quite well.
Coach
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:03 pm
I mentioned 3M as a plausible lowest possible amount he'd sign for. Obviously, an 8 year deal at the league minimum sounds awfully appealing, but that's not the point ;)

On the mark, I say, for what we need to do. This is a deal Smid can play up to, fulfill, but likely not massively outperform as such. At 3.5M there's not that much pressure either, which is fine. At 4M he'd not be a value contract, but it wouldn't be an outrageous deal. But it would be that kind of Staios/Moreau/Pisani/Torres deal that was just that much of an overpay that the team suffered as a consequence. Now, at 3.5M, they shouldn't have a problem. Then again, we have a truckload of players that, merely by reputation, require the monies. Let's see how well they can fit under the cap roof.

General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 pm
Next up is Gagner.. that will be a tough decision. I'd say it's reasonable to think he can make $5M after this great year. Is he worth it? Hard to say.. I always thought he was a very good player though. He has improved his physical game a lot this year and is scoring "dirty" goals. That makes him a much better player to me. Some such as David Staples think that his defensive game isn't good enough, and that is a valid argument.

I wonder if it would be wise to move him in a package for a larger center with better faceoff skills. I have to figure that the Oilers are considering this, although I can't say I trust them to do this properly.

Really though, I'd love to see him come back next year for close to the $4M mark! But he could easily argue for more than 5. I'd like him to remain an Oiler, and hope he does. But it can't handcuff the Oilers either.
Coach
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 pm
Gagner and a pick, prospect (not Klefbom) for Laich, Brouwer. Would be nice...

I like Gagner's development a lot. He's a determined guy with skills, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay him after this (small sample) season.

General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:Gagner and a pick, prospect (not Klefbom) for Laich, Brouwer. Would be nice...

I like Gagner's development a lot. He's a determined guy with skills, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay him after this (small sample) season.

Yah I hear ya there too.. it will be an easy argument for his side to say $5M+ and very difficult for us to argue for less. I'd concur that we should consider shopping him for the right deal. I don't trust that our GM crew is capable at turning him into some good components though.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 pm
I personally don't understand the reasoning to move Gagner. He is a very good 2nd line center and has just shown what he's capable at a young age, people seem to forget this. Brouwer and Laich would be nice, but not at the cost of Gagner as neither of those 2 fill the void he would leave. Not to mention Gagner is one of the few forwards who competes to win on a nightly basis which is not something this team should be getting rid of. In regards to his contract, all of his past ones have been very reasonable and I don't see him getting more than 5m per season. I believe he is looking for more term and stability rather than big money so could see him signing at 4.5m per year on a 4-5 year deal which is very reasonable if you ask me. If you're to move one of those top 6 in my opinion it needs to be Hemsky in a package for players of that type that Noroil mentioned.

As for Smid contract, it's a very good price and definately not what he could have got on the open market however it is still a fair deal. I like the signing and it's something this team needed to do if they want to get competitive.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm
I definitely agree as to what Gagner brings. If he could be signed to under $5M, I'd definitely be for it. I think he's show enough even in the past to be a guy who would be worth a deal like that in the long run. But if things go sour and the price starts going north of $5M, I'd be worried and consider shopping him.

I'd consider Norbot's deal though because you get a C with size who can win draws and actually put up good points.. plus a solid winger. Trading Hemsky for that instead of Gagner? No brainer, but he doesn't get that deal done.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09 am
Gagner will hopefully get 3 years or so at 4.5, it's a short enough period that it won't cause cap problems and a small enough price that he could be moved quite easily if needed.

Then with the cap going up year on year it ends soon enough for him to get a 6-8 year deal at a better AAV for himself, while not coinciding with Hall & Eberle's new deals running out.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 am
I honestly think if it's $4.5M, I'd be surprised if it's a multi-year deal at all. I hope they can do it for that cheap though, or even better. I just think he'll have an easy argument.... second in scoring on the team (even if it is a short year), a point away from leading the team a couple years back. Anyways, I won't even bother selling Gagner on you or anyone, cause I know you and others recognize his value.. just saying I think it'll be tough to get him / is agent to take less than $5M I think... part of that might have to do with us overpaying for Hemmer.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:52 pm
Racki wrote:I honestly think if it's $4.5M, I'd be surprised if it's a multi-year deal at all. I hope they can do it for that cheap though, or even better. I just think he'll have an easy argument.... second in scoring on the team (even if it is a short year), a point away from leading the team a couple years back. Anyways, I won't even bother selling Gagner on you or anyone, cause I know you and others recognize his value.. just saying I think it'll be tough to get him / is agent to take less than $5M I think... part of that might have to do with us overpaying for Hemmer.

Horcoff had that same argument. 4 mill.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:53 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:Gagner and a pick, prospect (not Klefbom) for Laich, Brouwer. Would be nice...

Done.

Return to Edmonton Oilers