[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Armchair Rosters

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 pm
Just messing around with Capgeek's armchair roster feature.. figured I'd throw together a mock line up that "only" requires 4 free agent signings, and a couple trades :P Totally an "EA Sports NHL" roster, I'm sure, but figured I'd put it together anyways and throw it on here.

Pancakes makes another return to Edmonton. Not sure how well that would fly. I do realize he looked good in Anaheim because he played with good linemates, but I think Penner is underrated due to his lazy appearance. I thought his talents could be acquired for fairly cheap though and wanted to keep this roster semi-realistic.. even though it would take several miracles to do all this.

On his opposite wing.... I've got a weird love for Steve Ott, maybe because he's on my FHL Keeper team. He was a complete disaster last year, however, but I'm hoping that he'd bring an element this team sorely lacks.. physicality with some skill. I think you bring him in for a couple years and you get a cheap serviceable player. He's on the downswing for sure, but this is why he's on line 3... the checking line with some offense. He'd be playing with two guys who are fairly defensively responsible.

The Oilers and Leafs make a deal that sends Phaneuf this way (insert groans here, but he's an NHL d-man, even if way over paid), and Gagner the other way. I have no idea how the Oilers managed to land Sekera out of Carolina, but somehow they not only did that, but offloaded Andrew Ference in the process (sorry Andrew, but I needed some $$$ savings on the blueline). Struggling Nikita Nikitin is given a chance to redeem himself here.

I know not everyone will agree, but I'd really like to see Phaneuf or Letang, or Markov or someone of that ilk brought in here. They are expensive as hell, and perhaps Markov is the best choice, because the other two are signed until infinity + 1. I'd also really like to see Stastny signed, as he'd be a real #2C (if not the #1C). The other option would be to grab the Kulemin and Grabovski combo package.

FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Steve Ott ($3.000m) / Mark Arcobello ($0.600m) / Dustin Penner ($2.500m)
Tyler Pitlick ($0.951m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Matt Hendricks ($1.850m)
Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Justin Schultz ($3.500m)
Nikita Nikitin ($3.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Martin Marincin ($0.730m) / Jeff Petry ($2.250m)
Oscar Klefbom ($0.894m) /
GOALTENDERS
Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
Ben Scrivens ($2.300m)
BUYOUTS
Eric Belanger ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,512,167; BONUSES: $3,340,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,587,833

Signings: Bold
Trades: Underlined & Italics
Coach
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:05 am
Armchair rostering is fun. Sometimes I think it leads to additional heartache as an Oilers fan, since we seem to target dead end players rather than those we ourselves suggest.

I particularly like the idea of having a center like Stastny around, depending on the asking price. He'll get his money somewhere, though, I'm sure. Ott is fine, but I think we can get similar players at a cheaper price.

Phaneuf seems like a natural target at this point, whereas Sekera is almost certainly unavailable or too expensive. Ehrhoff might be the most readily available alternative? You must love him too, given that he's been a Bomber for so long ;)

Daniel Winnik would a nice additon, perhaps, as would Benoit Pouliot or possibly Mason Raymond (who might cash in on a good season). For defense I cannot really say that any of Markov, Boyle or Letang seem like good options. Age, health, and skill sets do not appear good fits with us. We need an all-rounder or two - Phaneuf sort of fits the bill, but the potential for failure is high given his history of being whipping boy. Coburn should still be a target, although I don't necessarily think he's a #1. Seidenberg, Boychuk, Girardi/Staal would be lovely, but we'll be picking up some scraps more likely. What's Strudwick doing?
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:02 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:Armchair rostering is fun. Sometimes I think it leads to additional heartache as an Oilers fan, since we seem to target dead end players rather than those we ourselves suggest.

I particularly like the idea of having a center like Stastny around, depending on the asking price. He'll get his money somewhere, though, I'm sure. Ott is fine, but I think we can get similar players at a cheaper price.

Phaneuf seems like a natural target at this point, whereas Sekera is almost certainly unavailable or too expensive. Ehrhoff might be the most readily available alternative? You must love him too, given that he's been a Bomber for so long ;)

Daniel Winnik would a nice additon, perhaps, as would Benoit Pouliot or possibly Mason Raymond (who might cash in on a good season). For defense I cannot really say that any of Markov, Boyle or Letang seem like good options. Age, health, and skill sets do not appear good fits with us. We need an all-rounder or two - Phaneuf sort of fits the bill, but the potential for failure is high given his history of being whipping boy. Coburn should still be a target, although I don't necessarily think he's a #1. Seidenberg, Boychuk, Girardi/Staal would be lovely, but we'll be picking up some scraps more likely. What's Strudwick doing?

Hmm I'm of the opposite belief with you on this. Having a Letang/Boyle or Markov would do wonders for this team. Not only does it give this team a guy who can play in all situations and eat minutes but they can get the puck out of our own end. Thats been a major struggle for this team. No they are not your all around defenseman but they would push every single one of our defenseman a notch down on the depth chart. This has been the sole reason our defense probably looks worse than it may be, every one of them is playing in spots where they're not capable of playing because we don't have anyone better. This sets them up for nothing but failure. Phaneuf in my opinion would be the perfect type of defense we need, he does everything well and is used to being a whipping boy. You don't become a whipping boy if you're not good and to be honest that spot is not well suited for Petry. Cobrun would be a nice addition to one of those higher end defenseman however he is no better than a number 3 and if he was the only guy we added, he would also be put into a position to fail. The 4 others you mentioned are not all around guys, they are defensive defenseman that can eat a lot of minutes. They are not guys you can count on to be on a number one powerplay unit. One of any of these pieces would help, but seeing as were talking about a fantasy roster here, any 2-3 of the combinations above would be ideal. Like a Letang/Boychuk type of addition would be ideal. That's if you keep in mind with salaries anyways.

This is depressing thinking about this defense and how far it actually has to go before its even decent. It's 2-3 pieces away in my opinion and this is keeping in mind we have possibly 3-4 young guys knocking on this door. Issue with this is they should have to be better than actual NHL Defenseman and not be gifted the job because they fail to find any. They also need a few guys to take the pressure off them and to learn from to be successful. This throwing it at the wall and seeing if it sticks will not work on most occassions. But who knows, maybe we'll get lucky haha.

The forwards with all those additions would be exactly what I would like to see, we need a 3rd and 4th line that can actually score a bit and take some pressure off the top 2 lines.

A Defense of:
Letang- Petry
Boychuk- Schultz
Marincin/Klefbom/Nurse- Ference

That would be a top notch defense in my opinion, and in order for this to work you would likely have to take some cap from the top two lines. This would mean a big name would need to move, but I'm also of a belief a team needs a very good defense to win a championship. Chicago is an example of this and basically any team that is currently left in these playoffs. Forwards I have no idea what it would look like but I'll give it a shot without looking into cap too much or at all really.

Hall- Hopkins- Penner
Perron- Draisaitl- Yakupov
Ott- Arcobello- Lander
Pitlick- Gordon- Hendricks

I think it still needs some work and rebalancing but as a starting point it could work, especially with that defense. This is assuming Draisaitl is actually NHL ready and that Eberle got moved for Letang. Lander is a guy I actually really like and am rooting for to take the next step this year. He finally started to show some promise in the AHL in his point totals. I'm really hoping he can translate that to the NHL now. Penner is also a guy that may look lazy, but I believe that has a lot to do with the style he plays as well. The thing I like about him is that he can move up and down a line up and despite not being overly physical, he does not provide a needed big body in the top six, along with Draisaitl. Puck possession is extremely important and no matter how hard our young guys work out they just dont have the physical assets to play a puck possession game. This is where those 2 big bodies will help significantly.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Ya I thought Penner would get some blank stares my way, but we seem on the same page there. The thing is, he could be had for cheap but provide underrated two way play.

I think Letang is the shit. I do know he was once defensive D man of the year in the Q. Not saying much perhaps, but you could also say that he is the personification of the best defense is a good offense. He can make mistakes when he is doing so much offensively.

Sekera was a long shot. Agree with Norbot. A more likely target of Ehrhoff could work, and yes I do like him.

Stastny will demand money for sure. But he will allow the Oilers to buy some time, if they draft Draisaitl. I'm not too big a fan of more youth injected in the lineup immediately. Especially expecting him to be top six. Lander.. He's on my shit list due to being too much of a non factor. He has to emerge sooner or later. I always root for players to do well though, so hopefully that happens.

Ott.. Yes.. There should be better guys available. I came up dry thinking of cheap skilled physical guys though, which is why his name popped up. Ideally we want someone that wasn't minus infinity last year, even though it's not a good stat to judge by.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:56 pm
Oh BTW, Benoit Pouliot was a name I wanted to suggest too. Cheap offense. The rangers got lucky there. Not sure about his game outside the offense though. Raymond also has been a cheap gun for hire. Winnik I'm unsure of. Not sure if he looks better due to a good team. I see tho he is listed at C. Thought he was a winger.. Does he play c too?
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:48 pm
Here's my next dreamed up line up. Some salaries are a little different this time around. Even if you're paying $5M for each of the Sovietskys (which they should not be getting after last year), it still fits under the cap.

Replacement ideas: Josh Bailey for Grabo, but that requires a trade which probably kills my Phaneuf/Ehrhoff wish, and maybe a long shot on Setoguchi. Probably better choices for the latter name.. just throwing it out there since Jonathan Willis mentioned him, and he's cheap.

FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.000m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($4.000m)
Dustin Penner ($3.000m) / Mark Arcobello ($0.600m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
Tyler Pitlick ($0.900m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Matt Hendricks ($1.850m)
Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m) / Anton Lander ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m) / Justin Schultz ($3.000m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Jeff Petry ($2.500m)
Martin Marincin ($0.730m) / Andrew Ference ($3.250m)
Oscar Klefbom ($0.894m) /

GOALTENDERS
Viktor Fasth ($2.900m)
Ben Scrivens ($2.300m)
BUYOUTS
Eric Belanger ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,211,667; BONUSES: $3,340,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,888,333

I wish it was as easy for MacT as it is for me to just whip up a line up. But I think this is one that would significantly improve the Oilers. Line 2 can play vs. NHL lines. Line 1 can dominate the game. Line 3 plays the softies with Penner/Arco babysitting Yak. Line 4 is perhaps a more legit 4th line if you go out and pick up a replacement for Pitlick, but I'm pretty high on the kid as a bottom six guy (even though he wasn't drafted for that).

Return to Edmonton Oilers