[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Oil Change... for real finally?

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:53 pm
Whats funny is I believe the Statzis seem to be unimpressed by Gryba, but crediting Fayne/Sekera for coming out even with the heavy lifting. By my eye, these guys have been nothing short of atrocious. The whole D group has been quite meh though.. they really need a guy who can really be relied on back there. This is the time where the Pronger acquisition would have been very appropriate! (well, younger, un-uber-concussed Pronger, of course)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:24 am
A Pronger type D?

Basically what Nurse is projected to be. Although I'm perfectly fine with letting Darnell ripen down in the "A" for a while. This whole having patience with our prospects thing.......What a interesting new fucking concept by Chiarelli.

Sometime I wonder if the reason that Nurse is in the minors is not because he isn't ready but rather the D corpse isn't ready for him. It would be unfair for Nurse to come into the NHL and be our best Defensemen after 10 or so games.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:19 am
"D corpse" is a very appropriate term. No, it's not ready for him, but I don't think he's ready either. D is a tough position to play, and I'm perfectly fine with patience with him (yes, it's damn nice to see Chia take that route). Also, I'm talking about having a guy who is like Pronger now, not in a few years or so. Of course, that's pretty unlikely to happen. They need a first pair guy here though desperately, and not just someone that projects as a 1st pair... someone who's actually a first pair guy and can push the rest of our D men down the lineup plus be a stabilizing factor for whomever he's paired with. I thought that would be Sekera.. woops.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:30 pm
Nurse looked really good today but I'm still really concerned with our defence moving forward. We need an already developed stud dman to turn things around on the backend.

The biggest problem with the Oilers in the last 20 years has been the inability to develop top 4 dmen. I read on Oilersnation that over the last 19 years the Oilers have drafted and developed a grand total of 2 dmen that have consistently played top 4 minutes in the NHL(Poti, Petry).

Yikes ..........

What's been missing for the last 19 years?

.....That one stud blue liner who makes every other defenders job that much easier, also allowing prospects to ease into their roles at a much more reasonable rate. Look at teams like Nashville, Chicago, Boston & LA. They had their studs in place for a while now and all those teams have been developing dman at a rapid fire rate.

I fear that if we don't acquire someone of this stature soon, Nurse & Klef may be at risk of bottoming out in their development.

So who on the Oilers holds the kind of value that can bring in a defender of this calibre?

I only see two name that jump out at me: McDavid and Nuge. McD ain't going anywhere so that really only leaves Nuge as the real option here. (with all do respect for Hall....I just don't think a team trades a stud dman for a player yet to play a full healthy season, nor do I see the Oilers as having enough scoring depth on the wings without him or even Ebs for that matter).

Now I know this won't be popular, nor would it be ideal but I just feel that Nuge and McDavid play very similar styles, obviously with McD being the more skilled of the two. If we could trade Nuge for a top flight defender, then bringing in Leon for centre #2 (Yak2 or Khaira as a stop gap if Leon isn't ready). I like the idea of having a big body 2nd line centre anyway and I think it would weep more benefits long term then just ignoring the glaring hole on the top pair as the Oilers have been doing for the last 19 years.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:56 pm
Yah, I've been saying for what feels like eons that this team is in dire need of a stable defenseman.

I've also... as much as I hate to say it... been theorizing for a bit on another forum that Nuge is soon going to be for sale, and thus why they are working on Draisaitl as a centreman. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Chia's plan is to move Nuge for a d-man when Draisaitl is more NHL ready. I don't know if they're still working on Drai at C down there, so my theory may be shot if that's not the case.

Having watched this team out of the gate, there's obviously no way McDavid is touchable, but I honestly think there's few other untouchables, including the members of our earlier drafted core group.

There's such a big difference in how the 2 top lines here play. Hall/Nuge/xxx seem to be more of an outside perimeter line which tries to cycle around and wait for something to happen, sometimes forcing things.. sometimes that works, sometimes not - a high potential for turnovers (but hey, they do generate a lot of chances). Oftentimes, the chances they get are one and done. McDavid's line seems to do more work behind the net and right out front, and they manage to have fairly good puck support and sustained pressure. This is far superior to me and why I'm finding myself less attached to our former top line. I know that's a typical Oiler fan thing to do.. to be enamored with the new shiney toys and toss aside the old ones. However, I really like Hall/Nuge/Ebs, but think that we do desperately need better D, and one of those guys may go one day to make that happen. It's pretty hard to get that type of player any other way.
Coach
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:36 pm
Someone's running the real life Oilers version of the Book of Job on repeat.

Or the ten plagues of Edmonton, beautifully re-cast in a modern setting.

Here's a goalie that takes you to the Stanley Cup Final. Nevermind, he'll be injured and you lose.
Here's an owner that has money. Nevermind, pouring money on this won't help.
Here's some young exciting talent in a kid line. Nevermind, they'll be traded, fail, or both.
Here's a first overall and some hope. Nevermind, he's not enough.
Here's another first overall and some hope. Nevermind, he's not enough.
Here's another first overall and some hope. Nevermind, now you're top heavy and under immense pressure to succeed.
Here's McJesus. Nevermind.

I'm waiting for the locusts.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:42 pm
Yah, sucks, doesn't it? The team should still be able to manage without him though. But damn, he sure is a difference maker though. Here's hoping that with the veteran boat anchors in the press box, the defense will be improved.
Coach
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:59 pm
Racki wrote:Yah, sucks, doesn't it? The team should still be able to manage without him though. But damn, he sure is a difference maker though. Here's hoping that with the veteran boat anchors in the press box, the defense will be improved.

Indeed.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
Previous

Return to Edmonton Oilers