[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

[RUMOR] Bryan McCabe To Sign A Tryout Deal

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:12 am
According to Treenasoil's twitter account the Oilers are looking at signing Bryan McCabe to a tryout contract likely this friday. Flames are also interested as per Garfield.

Take it for what its worth, but she has been right in the past. The Flames are interested in what exactly? Bringing McCabe in as a tryout or a contract?
Special Thanks To Racki For The Signature!
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:55 am
I had to tag your post with rumor cause I honestly think Treenasoil is becoming the new Eklund. Throw a bunch of things against the wall and see what sticks. I am told that "she" got the Smyth deal and something else (Foster trade?) right, but I'm still pretty skeptical.

Anyways, humoring the idea anyways, McCabe is a good offensive d-man.. I think though that if this is what Tambellini's idea of "not signing a veteran d-man" is or his idea of addressing needs, then he needs to get his head checked. I'm OK with a veteran D-man, but the most glaring problem on the D is being in need of a high minute defensive type. If he brings offense, great. But McCabe isn't a guy you can too highly count on for the defensive minutes.

That said, there is something to be said about a guy his age being able to mentor players. So I DO like the experience he brings. If they did bring him in, it would have to be for quite a cheap contract and a short term though, otherwise to me it's a big mistake. Either way, I'm pretty skeptical. Why did we bring in Barker and Sutton if we're still looking for another D?

LHD: Whitney, Barker, Smid, Peckham, Sutton, Chorney
RHD: Gilbert, Petry

There's already a big imbalance there.

Offense biased d-men: Gilbert, Barker, Chorney, Whitney, Petry
Defense biased d-men: Sutton, Peckham, Smid

Whitney and Petry could MAYBE be argued as playing a more complete end-to-end game. Petry is too young (read: inexperienced) to be relied on in that role though. Sutton is probably too old to be relied on as a defensive d-man.

I like my defense pairings in the real world like I like them in EA's NHL games :P - pair a puck mover with a stay-at-homer.

When you look at the lineup, it's pretty hard to pair a puck mover and a stay-at-home type without either forcing a rookie into a tougher role or putting a guy on his off-side. I don't like the idea of either. McCabe just brings more of what we already have.

Again though, experience is a pretty underrated asset among fans. I don't think McCabe makes us a better 2011-12 team, but does he make Petry a much better puck mover and/or Gilbert and/or anyone else? Hard to know.

Really though, I would give up any idea of McCabe and focus on one of the young stud d-men instead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:13 pm
What if McCabe comes into camp and plays better than our D-Men? To me that is what tryouts are for. It does go against Tambi's stance that he wants to see what the younger guys can do and leave a roster spot for them if they earn it.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 pm
What younger guys are you referring to though? Should McCabe be taking minutes away from Gilbert if he's a long term player here? Or Smid, or Peckham, etc... ? Or even Barker perhaps?

Or are we talking about him "stealing" minutes from Petry who maybe should be seeing most of his minutes in the AHL?

I guess I'm trying to see a broad picture here.. several years, and not just this year. Is McCabe going to help us this year? I really don't think he's going to make a huge impact, to be honest, to our standings. Would he maybe be a good mentor for guys to help kickstart their careers? Possibly.. not too sure on that.

McCabe definitely isn't a long term guy though. So seeing him take minutes from Gilbert or Whitney or Barker.. not sure if that's a good thing or not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:41 pm
Originally I was thinking its against Tambi's viewpoint because signing another D might take away minutes from Chorney and Petry. The guys you mentioned though, (Gilbert, Whitney, Barker) might need to play less minutes to improve.

No harm in inviting a guy to camp on a tryout basis is my point. If McCabe who may not help this team or be with the team long term comes to camp and outplays everyone I think that says how bad we are on defense.

Depth is another thing that is imortant too. We can have our 7 and be okay, but as soon as Whitney goes down its game over and we don't have anyone(or want anyone)that can step in and eat up minutes. There might be guys on the team that step up and fill a role that we aren't expecting but failing to have any depth is management's problem. We only come in last because they want us to.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:28 pm
Yah, actually I was going to say it too, but there is no harm in a try out.. you are right...

But I will point out that Bryan McCabe signing here means waivers for someone. That someone is likely Chorney though. He might be someone people are willing to lose for free, but I don't think it would be at all wise to give up that early. I thought he showed promise last year.

Based on this list of waiver eligible players if we have McCabe:

Whitney, Gilbert, Barker, Smid, Peckham, Sutton, McCabe, Chorney ...

Realistically, we should only keep 7 of them up here.

Just more food for thought. I was going to also say though that maybe even in his short try out here, some skills might rub off on the players here too. A full time role here complicates things a bit though.

I do want to see reduced minutes for Gilbert though. I think he's still a good d-man, but not the amount we play him. But I think the best replacement for his minutes is a 2-way or a shutdown RHD. Unfortunately they don't grow on trees, however.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:11 pm
Not a huge fan of this but....who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:44 am
Yeah me either but a tryout can't hurt. I don't know if it would be good or bad for him to come to camp and impress considering how bad people think he is. Remember when we didn't want Comrie either and when he played he was one of the best Oilers. After he scored a goal and got into a fight everyone loved him again.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:48 am
I actually don't think he's bad at all. I think he just doesn't fit what I think is our needs. However, you are right that a tryout doesn't hurt. And well, if he can play the right side and ends up impressing, that makes me like him a bit more.

To me we really need a high minutes defensive d-man, but he might make up for defensive short comings with offensive play and mentoring the young d.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:17 am
It could be good insurance for Whitney and boost the PP. I do not like Chorney going through waivers again though. He looked like he had taken the next step to me last year and I was expecting him to follow Peckham's path of development. Also, we are at 49 contracts. Something to consider.

I do think we see a trade when Lander forces his way onto he team. Same thing if RNH does as well. There will just not be enough room for all the players.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 am
Good point about max contracts. I always forget about that. Sucky. Might force Tambo's hand a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:02 am
Players that get sent back to junoir reduce the contracts right? So is it 49 with RNH and 48 without?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:02 am
Racki wrote:Good point about max contracts. I always forget about that. Sucky. Might force Tambo's hand a bit.

I think it has to. Maybe not right away, but certainly early on in the season.

Brule is the odd man out here after this summer's debacle. After that, who knows? Nice article on Harts on the Journal too.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/h ... story.html
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 am
Mr.Majestyk wrote:Players that get sent back to junoir reduce the contracts right? So is it 49 with RNH and 48 without?

My understanding is that all players with an NHL option count so long as they are in either the NHL or AHL. I would presume you are correct.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=430807

You are correct. A player signed and returned to the CHL/Juniors does not count.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:11 pm
It might be a good time now to consider McCabe, even though we only lost 1 regular defenseman. But Whitney is still a bit of a question mark. What do you guys think? Knee jerk reaction, since we lost 3 d last night? (with 2 of them being non-starters) Or is this a legit concern for the team? I think even sans-injury we weren't complete on the blue. That should be obvious. Losing Smid, to me, just speeds the urgency up a bit. Not sure how long he'll be gone for though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:53 pm
It would have been nice to see him vs the rest of our prospects in camp because we don't know if or what kind of an upgrade he would be. For a guy to be unsigned at this point its a good chance that you could get him for cheap and if he performs well we could move him at the deadline(if we're not in contention for a playoff spot)for a draft pick.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:54 am
This is quickly shaping up to be ST's last season with the Oilers. Katz seems like the guy who expects results, and with Tambo preaching about contending for a playoff spot this year, rather than a lottery pick for the rebuild, well he's setting himself up pretty good. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors so with an injured defense he could get some slack but I'm not sure how long Katz is going assess what he has for management.

Our forwards are no doubt shaping into something special "knocks on wood", but we have little to no depth at defense. How is this going to be addressed through trade, or through lottery pick? Look at the West, well even look at our division, Nuckleheads, the dreaded Wild, the young up and coming Avs how well does our defense stand up to these teams? With the acception of the aging Flamers (which our speed could be an asset) we have quite an uphill battle.

I'm quickly appreciating Gilbert more and more every night if it wasn't for him we'd really be hooped for defense. Remember when we opened with Pronger, Smith, Ulanov, Staios, Cross and MAB?

Return to Edmonton Oilers