[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Training Camp / Pre-Season

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:24 am
Would love to have gone and watched, but Jason Gregor has a good write up on it on Oilers Nation I suggest you check out.

Some big notes: (This one from Brownlee's Twitter) "Hemsky taking full drills and line rushes and has taken some bumps. Thought he was off-limits for contact. Not so far. Hit by Potter."

Gregor on Tulupov:
"Tulupov is big and he skates well. Hard to get a feel of his hockey sense or his positioning on the ice. The former 3rd round pick of the Devils in 2006 only played 4 games in the KHL last year. He doesn`t have a contract, but Igor Larionov is his agent, which won`t hurt. We will need to see more of him before anyone can make a proper assessment. He didn`t look out of place."

I do like the sounds of that. If he's ready to be an NHLer (an issue which might not be all his own) then maybe we just got a diamond in the rough again. I especially like that the skating doesn't appear to be an issue. I also like that Larionov is his agent. That guy is all class.

I like that they're running lines with Hall Gagner and Hemsky together, as well as Smyth RNH and Eberle. Plus I like the idea of Tyrvainen and Hartikainen together. They both bring a lot of energy.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:35 pm
Wow, gotta say I agree with that almost 100%. Chuckled when I saw Tyrvainen with Hartikainen, both will keep the other teams looking over their shoulders. Agree with both the Gagner line and the RNH line, at least for camp purposes. Loved hearing Lander was making plays.
Also I think we need to be cautious when reading the scouting reports on Tulupov, they are quite dated as he was drafted in '06. He may truly be that diamond in the rough, with a bit of polish ... Peckman 2.0. From what I will read into his situation, he dearly needs an organization to show him some love. He needs to be shown when to take a chance and make the big hit and when to back off. If Gregor is correct and he has decent speed, he may just need to play some real time minutes for OKC and watch the rust fall off him. This story is interesting for sure.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:18 pm
More on this... as Gregor has now updated it with the 2nd and 3rd groups.

Highlights:
Eberle apparently looks quicker.
Hartikainen looks leaner (I've heard this before.. he told the Journal he lost something like 10 pounds intentionally.. presumably to be a bit quicker)
Gregor thinks Motin looks horrible out there and won't be an Oiler.. ever.

In the third group, a line people have been wanting to see played together - Paajarvi - Horcoff - Omark. No real interesting comments about the third group, although it did contain another popular line combo suggestion in Eager-Belanger-Jones.

Lines definitely can and most like will change, but the big lines they tried this day of camp are:

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Omark
Eager-Belanger-Jones

Whitney-Petry
Barker-Gilbert
Smid-Peckham
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:14 pm
I guess Motin is another Hrabel. Maybe we see some releases for guys to go play in Europe. Actually, can they do that?
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:21 pm
First wave of cuts should be coming today, as per Jason Gregor.

He also has a day 3 post up here: http://oilersnation.com/2011/9/19/day-three-of-camp

Something I read on Twitter too was that Barker is making a good impression on Gilbert, for what it's worth. Gilbert's been impressed by his defensive play and also said he can learn a lot by watching him. Per Tencer: "Gilbert says Barker, specifically, has great gap and a great stick, is very solid defensively."
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:59 pm
I'll be at the first pre-season game for the Oilers tomorrow in Edmonton... too bad Nugent-Hopkins won't. He'll center Smyth and Eberle in Saskatoon tomorrow, apparently. D'oh. Looks like I'll have to wait for my live viewing.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm
Looks like the Swedes will all be here Racki, that might be Very interesting.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm
Sweeeeede!

OK, I'm lame. I'm hoping that I'll also see Hall-Gagner-Hemsky too. That would be nice. Barker might be there too, would like to see him in action.. pretty excited about him potentially clicking with Gilbert (so far they seem to be partnered up).
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:01 pm
It's all about the Hartikainen to me, big body with soft hands. He has to be on this team from what I can see. Mind you it is early, but from what we were able to see last year and the way he's playing early on, he'll be making a case to stay.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm
The mainstream media are saying that he is going to make the team but likely not right away... and that is only due to numbers. Sadly when you look at the roster, there isn't a lot of room. But I think he'll be the first call up for forwards if he isn't here to start the season.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 am
I agree Racki that he likely is cut late and sent to OKC to begin the season. He is what we desperately needed on this team and will be left off, not based on performance, but based on politics and numbers. In an attempt to not be dead last in the league, that kind of misguided thinking needs to GO.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:35 am
Not sure which game to watch tonight yet?
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:16 pm
http://puttingonthefoil.com/2011/09/ps- ... 2-1-and-2/

GDTs
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:21 pm
Ben Eager is scratched for tonight's game due to injury. I wonder if Tulupov knows anything about that... :P
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 pm
Racki wrote:Ben Eager is scratched for tonight's game due to injury. I wonder if Tulupov knows anything about that... :P

Supposedly concussion precautions..
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:35 am
Crappybulin and Brule would be my Wednesday morning cuts, at least in my dream last night.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:27 am
haha, I wish.. at least on "Crappybulin". I didn't watch the game vs Chicago (where Brule was), but last I heard Brule was doing well. Khabi... well... it's early, so he could still get his ass in gear, but I'm not at all optimistic about that happening.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 am
Racki wrote:haha, I wish.. at least on "Crappybulin". I didn't watch the game vs Chicago (where Brule was), but last I heard Brule was doing well. Khabi... well... it's early, so he could still get his ass in gear, but I'm not at all optimistic about that happening.

Yeah let's hope so, but I am not optimistic about it.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:24 pm
Tuesday vs. Phoenix, RNH will get Hemsky on his wing, per Jim Matheson.. wow, that’ll be a good test for him. I’m hoping they have a good shooter with them as well.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:30 pm
Racki wrote:Tuesday vs. Phoenix, RNH will get Hemsky on his wing, per Jim Matheson.. wow, that’ll be a good test for him. I’m hoping they have a good shooter with them as well.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/0 ... -hopefuls/

Some of the same questions we have all been asking.
Next

Return to Edmonton Oilers