[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Injury Updates

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:15 pm
Weird talking about a coach when it comes to injuries... but word on Twitter is Tom Renney's doctors have recommended he miss the next couple of games. According to Tencer, he's "still not close to feeling right". That sucks. But the way things have been lately, I'm not sure how much it matters who is at the helm for a bit. Hopefully he can rest up and be feeling back to normal within a week or two.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:40 pm
Paajarvi and Nuge both expected to play tomorrow. Very good news on the Paajarvi front, since it looked grim. Also, Renney is expected to be at the helm tomorrow as well.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm
Yes, very glad to hear about Paajarvi. That was nasty.

A little surprised no supplementary for Hartnell. I wouldn't have expected a lot, but 2 games, maybe.

I didn't think it was an intent to injure Paajarvi specifically as much as it was an intent to punish somebody in a blue jersey. In fairness, I don't think the knee was where he intended to hit. I it was one of those "going for shoulder but caught knee when the target dodged" plays. But that aside, it was a dangerous play and should still have cost some games.

Odd feeling, actually - with Hartnell on my FHL team I've spent the season loving this guy. But then watching the hit, I was really disgusted by the play.
The Heatwave will return in 2015!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:46 pm
Hall apparently is nursing a bad left shoulder according to the Journal.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/h ... story.html
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm
chucker wrote:Hall apparently is nursing a bad left shoulder according to the Journal.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/h ... story.html

Yep. Going for surgery now and out 5-6 months with hopes he will be ready for the start of next season.
Coach
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 pm
Utter crap.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm
It sucks, it really does, but with any luck, the shoulder will be robotic upon his return to the team next season. If he played that well with an ailing shoulder, I wonder what he can do with a pristine one. I just hope it WILL be pristine, post-surgery.

Another Taylor brings us good news. Taylor Fedun is practicing in a full-contact jersey. How awesome is that? I really hope he can get back to game shape in a hurry. He won't be in the line up this year. But I have hopes that he can make his presence known in training camp next year and give good reason to have him stick around.
Coach
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:43 pm
"Hope" is, unfortunately, the operative word, Racki. Shoulders are ugly things that keep getting re-injured, rarely do they seem to heal to any pristine state. Cannonball-Hall better take his time or risk de-throning Hemsky as King of Shoulderailmentia.

Good on Fedun, although his injury may also have savoured that overachieving (glorious) training camp of his a bit too long. I hope he can live up to it, he really was quite good, but that has been so with a lot of players coming to camp. My hope is that anyone can outplay the likes of Peckham, Potter, Sutton and add more talent to our defense. :D (Like Petry has, that gem of a man).
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:12 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:"Hope" is, unfortunately, the operative word, Racki. Shoulders are ugly things that keep getting re-injured, rarely do they seem to heal to any pristine state. Cannonball-Hall better take his time or risk de-throning Hemsky as King of Shoulderailmentia.

Good on Fedun, although his injury may also have savoured that overachieving (glorious) training camp of his a bit too long. I hope he can live up to it, he really was quite good, but that has been so with a lot of players coming to camp. My hope is that anyone can outplay the likes of Peckham, Potter, Sutton and add more talent to our defense. :D (Like Petry has, that gem of a man).

The thing with Hemsky though is he had shoulder surgery on DIFFERENT shoulders. I know it can suck, but I think his left (??) has been fine since the surgery. The other one wasn't so hot this year, by the sounds of things though. So yah, it CAN be tricky, I'm aware of that.. and no, I'm not saying he'll be 110% after the surgery. But all we can do is wait and see. It may work out to be an improvement for him going from an ailing shoulder to having it repaired. There's not much reason to get too worked up about it just yet. As it stands right now, he'll miss 6 games for sure... he might not miss anymore. He might come back better than before. He might come back with shoulder woes up the ying yang. We don't really know at this point. Yah, the Oil definitely SHOULD take their time with him, but there are enough cases of positive shoulder-surgery outcomes to not get TOO paranoid about Hall being the next Hemsky.

I have a tough time with the whole "Shoulderailmentia" thing with Hemsky too though, because that's not just as black and white as that one shoulder nagging him his whole career. His left shoulder was injured for the first time not long before he had the surgery on it in 2009. Since then, it's been good as new (from what I understand). The right shoulder nagged him a lot over time, and he finally had surgery in this off-season though. This one might be a little different story though since he said it was bothering him this season, and making him hesitant. That does support what you're saying (and something I agree on) - that you just never know with those types of injuries. But at this point I wouldn't be in too big of a panic. Your concerns are definitely justified (that he needs to take his time getting back). But I'm already seeing some "is Taylor Hall injury prone?" topics out there. It does suck that he's already undergone surgery in year 2... but he could come out of this a new player and not look back too. That's my hope.

Oh also, one last thing on the right shoulder for Hemsky... despite his hesitations, he still played pretty much this entire year since having the surgery. He didn't play up to par for most of it, granted, but he's looked really good in the latter stages and it it's possible that the problem with that shoulder being behind him too. I wouldn't harp too much on the shoulders being a huge problem with him post surgery.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:55 pm
Kyle Okposo
Alex Burrows
Matt Beleskey
Scott Nichol
Toni Lydman
Mike Richards
Maxime Talbot
Alex Tanguay

Those names above are the first 8 players I managed to google up that had surgery to repair a torn labrum recently. They also happen to have shown no problems since their surgery. No recurring injuries. It may be too early to tell for some though, granted. But each of them played either a full season for at least the following year, or missed a small amount of time due to unrelated injuries in other areas.

That said, I 100% agree that we don't want Hall coming back earlier than he should be, because obviously it could do even more damage, set him back, and even require further surgeries. My point was just simply that it sounds like 4-6 months is a fairly standard heal time for this, and it doesn't look like it's TOO likely to be a recurring thing either. I'm not saying it doesn't happen that guys can't run into problems with their shoulders sticking with them. But it looks to me like surgery for these NHLers is pretty successful in ending that recurring shoulder problem some guys can have. So we stand just as much luck in Taylor Hall recovering from this fully and coming out a new player post surgery as we do him coming back too early, and becoming Hemsky 2.0'ed.

But again, I do think your concern of not wanting him to rush back is definitely very warranted. But 6 months from now puts us into September... so he could be 100% fully good to go by the start of next year, which would be a great plus to us.

The above list does conveniently exclude Ales Hemsky, however ... lol. Only because as luck would have it, he didn't get caught in the Google search. :P But again, he did play nearly a full season for us... although it should be noted that he himself has said he isn't completely confident in that shoulder yet.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:33 pm
I'm on the "wonder what he'll do with a good shoulder" train as well. Apparently this isn't an NHL sustained injury, but something that's nagged him since Junior.

My guess, is if he's been playing with some aggravation for a few seasons, both in Edmonton and Windsor, that he should probably be able to do fairly well with a healthy reconstruction. Also - 5-6 months seems like a reasonable estimate on recovery, and at his age, I'd bet he'll heal fairly well. My guess is that the hardest part of Hall's rehab will be convincing HIM to take it easy - that kid is a horse and born to compete.

The one thing I'm wondering, though is if this was disclosed to all parties going into the draft? Don't get me wrong, I'd still pick the kid, but I'm curious if that was in the dossier when GMs were making their picks... LOL - could be Tambi's mildly upset with Stu? :?:
The Heatwave will return in 2015!
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm
I'm thinking that Hall sucked it up and just tried his best not to let on about it. But who knows.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm
Sounds like an injury that he could play with but they want to nip in the bud. Shoulder surgery now is where knee surgery is. The arthroscopic techniques make it a much more reliable outcome. I would not be surprised if he was ready by October.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:56 am
Didn't he say after the Avs hit he was going to get surgery on his shoulder in the off-season?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:22 pm
Corey Potter out with a concussion from the Bobby Ryan headshot.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:32 pm
I wonder if the tape even goes in on that one. I never really know what is legal any more. He was hit in the head on the hit, obviously. Primary point of contact? No idea. He had his head down and Bobby Ryan steamrolled him. That's all I know. Sutton looked like he was going to murder him. Ryan bitched out, however.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:57 pm
I would have to see it again to make sure but I am pretty sure the primary point of contact was indeed Potter's head. I am guessing no suspension. Gonna try to find a vid of it.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm
And the Oilers dumb luck begins “Taylor Hall heading for stitches to close cut above eye, sustained after tripping on stairs and knocking heads with Jordan Eberle. … Yup” -Josh Wingrove *Globe & Mail
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:28 pm
Oh for Christ's sake. I suppose it could be a lot worse than that though.. just a cut. It will add some man years to his face.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:42 pm
Don't think it's anything too serious but Jultz left practice today with some sort of spasm. Krueger said that he left the ice as a precaution and expects him to be back on the ice tomorrow.
Previous

Return to Edmonton Oilers