[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Players cut...

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:42 pm
Per Gene Principe:
Kristians Pelss, Martin Gernat to Edm and Tobias Reider to Kitchener.
Brett Ferguson, Chase Schaber, Tyler Schmidt, Colin Smith, Wes Vannieuwenhuizen released.
Toni Rajala will be going back to play in Finnish Elite League
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:14 pm
I expect there will be more after Tuesday's game. No real surprises here.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:48 pm
Today's cuts... all heading back to their respective junior teams:

Brandon Davidson
David Musil
Tyler Bunz
Jeremy Blain
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:58 pm
Today's cuts:

Per Oilers website:
David LeNeveu, Cameron Abney, Mark Arcobello, Johan Motin, and Hunter Tremblay to OKC.
Travis Ewanyk to Edmonton(WHL) and Drew Czerwonka to Kootenay(WHL)

Roster is now at 47.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:32 pm
The following were assigned to Oklahoma City (AHL) today:

Ryan Lowery (D)
Olivier Roy (G)
Philippe Cornet (LW)
Tanner House (LW)
Chris VandeVelde (C)
Alex Plante (D)
Milan Kytnar (RW)
Curtis Hamilton (LW)
Ryan Martindale (C)
Tyler Pitlick (C)

The Oilers also assigned Martin Marincin (D) to Prince George (WHL) and Kirill Tulupov (D) will report to Oklahoma City.

Roster now at 35
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:52 pm
Glad that tulupov will remain in the org, although I didn't see any contract for him yet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:27 pm
Racki wrote:Glad that tulupov will remain in the org, although I didn't see any contract for him yet

So how do we potentially sign him and Martindale?
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:19 pm
Shouldn't take much for either, one would hope.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:40 am
how many contracts are the oilers currently at though, I'm pretty sure that they're near the limit

edit: the Oilers are currently at 49/50 contracts. So we can only sign one more player
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:34 am
Alan: I think they're actually at 48 since Marincin went back to Junior (check Cap Geek and you will see 49 names listed, including Marincin). That number also includes the Nuge (won't count if he returns to junior).
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:52 am
yeah I got the 49 from cap geek, didn't realise they had kept Marincin on the list.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 am
So 48 bodies.. not a lot of wiggle room still, but there is some. I suspect that before long, Brule will be "removed" from this team in some fashion (waivers perhaps... if he gets claimed).

They still have to sign Martindale as well as Tulupov.. neither are on the list. Although the Oklahoma City Barons could sign Tulupov. I'm not sure what risks there are to that though (ex. can he sign with another NHL team?).
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:04 pm
Today the Oilers re-assigned the following players to OKC Barons:

Yann Danis (must clear waivers)
Colton Teubert
Antti Tyrvainen.

The roster now sits at 32 players.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:12 pm
Fate must be decided on these 13 players still, the way I see it:

Gilbert Brule, Josh Green, Teemu Hartikainen, Ryan Keller, Anton Lander, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan O'Marra, Linus Omark, Lennart Petrell, Taylor Chorney, Taylor Fedun, Jeff Petry, Corey Potter.

The organization should have room for 4 of those names. Who makes it?

My choices:
Linus Omark, Lennart Petrell, "The Nuge" and a toss up between Fedun and Petry. The blog world seems to have a raging one for Corey Potter as well.

With Gagner out, that frees up one more spot as well, in which maybe Lander could slide in for now.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:31 pm
sucks for Teubert, didn't even get one game.

RNH for obvious reasons
Chorney, his last shot with EDM will be 7th D
Brule for the same reason as Chorney, except he will be a 13/14th forward

The last one will be between Hartikainen and Omark, and I think will be based purely on what kind of system the team is planning to play.

while Gagner is out I can see O'Marra being the temp replacement if it is only a short term lay off, Lander can get used to NA ice in the AHL with big minutes and more responsability.

No more rushing prospects! :p

leaving the oil with lines of

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Smyth - Gagner - Hemsky
MPS - Belanger - Omark/Hartikainen
Eager - Horcoff - Jones
Hordichuk/Brule

Whitney - Barker
Smid - Gilbert
Peckahm - Sutton
Chorney

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

Horcoff up to 2C, while Gagner is injured with O'Marra/Brule 4C
D moved around slightly while Whitney is out with Petry in and Gilbert probably on the top pair.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:47 pm
Alan-NottsUK wrote:
The last one will be between Hartikainen and Omark, and I think will be based purely on what kind of system the team is planning to play.

I think you have to play Omark strickly from an asset management point of view. Omark's window is much shorter than Hartikainen's, and it would likely be good for Harti to play in the AHL this year anyway. Hartikainen's window to show himself as an NHL capable player isn't close to closing, but I dunno about Omark.

In the very least, if Omark doesn't make the team this year, he wont be back next year. And even if he does and is back next year, there are just too many bodies. If we decide Omark doesn't fit, I'd rather trade him something useful, which is much more likely if he is here showing things at the NHL level. If he can't make the back to back worst team in the league, why would anyone take a flyer on him?

And then, even if he does have a good showing and you decide he fits, it allows you to rent out Hemsky should the return be right and have a replacement.
"You either drop sweat today, or tears tomorrow." - SlayerS'MMA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:00 am
This could be one of the final years of "rebuild transition", this is the odd phase of the rebuild, make or break (maybe I should write an article on the rebuild..) phase. Our young and rising prospects are steadily developing however we are at the make or break phase where competition for a roster spot actually starts to occur. Not just multiple prized draft picks placed in the line-up ala (Hall, Eberle, MPS etc). Our left wing is deep, very deep however not elite just yet... If MPS reaches his potential ceiling then Smyth would be penciled in on the third line. However this year I'm sure Smyth will be playing a higher quality of comp on most nights compared to MPS.

I like the Hall - Nuge - Eberle line but RNH is not ready to face first line centers and top quality comps from other teams. Arguably Hall and Eberle could play against top lines I think for developmental reasons and confidence, that Hall and Eberle play on the second line. This year I think Gags should take first line duties on a line of Smyth - Gags - Hemsky and interchange Horcs with Gagner if there are hicups/slumps. I'd like to see RNH play 9 games but then be sent down and have your second line consist of Hall - Horcoff/Gagner - Eberle. As for the third line I think we should really push for Magnus's development this year and play him in some crucial roles so he has the chance to develop into a top two way winger.

I really hope Hemsky stays but at the same time receiving a young prosect + first roof pick wouldn't be that hard to accept with his injuries. If he can stay healthy, great sign him 4years but if not then we have an immediate gap to be filled on the right wing. Eberle to Omark/Jones is a huge drop, we need a top two RW'r if Hemsky is traded. We hopefully entering our final stages of the rebuild, and hopefully come next training camp our top six will be well established and young! Now all we need is an elite defender!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:16 am
iCanada wrote:
Alan-NottsUK wrote:

I think you have to play Omark strickly from an asset management point of view. Omark's window is much shorter than Hartikainen's, and it would likely be good for Harti to play in the AHL this year anyway. Hartikainen's window to show himself as an NHL capable player isn't close to closing, but I dunno about Omark.

How ironic it would be if Omark were kept up due to politics :D
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:40 am
Alan-NottsUK wrote:
iCanada wrote:
Alan-NottsUK wrote:

How ironic it would be if Omark were kept up due to politics :D

Haha, exactly. Wonder if he'd mention it in an interview ;)
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:15 pm
No way you can send down Omark. He has had a very good camp and the coaches have applauded his focus away from the puck. We are going to see some trades for sure. Maybe not right away, but within a month or so.
Next

Return to Edmonton Oilers