[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Opening lines

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 pm
No concrete word on this yet, but the Oil have been practicing with these forward lines:

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Smyth-Belanger-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Omark
Petrell-Lander-Jones

What do you guys think of them?

I think I really like the prospect of our top line (pun unintentional). Our second line sounds fairly strong and reliable at both ends. Horc with the Swedes again could be alright. Line 4 has real potential to play a shutdown/energy role.

I like them.

But as always, it's the defense that is always the big concern. So far, the pairings are Sutton - Gilbert, Barker - Petry, and Peckham - Potter. There's a slight chance Whitney will be available though come opener, so that could change.

Will Dubnyk start? The MSM seems to speculate that this will be the case. I can't see at all why he wouldn't though, other than foolish favoritism or command from above to save face. Dubnyk has been the best for quite some time and everyone knows it.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:23 am
I hope Dubnyk does get the start. I have a feeling Khabbi will though. Politics. Hopefully I am wrong. As for Whitney, I think he will go to OKC for a while to ease in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:28 am
I think Dubnyk should get the start and probably will. If Khabi starts(actually whenever he starts)and lets in a bad goal(which will happen at some point)fans will be allover him. This all despite the fact that the D is terrible on paper. We need our goalies to steal games this season and from the preseason Doobie looks ready to do that.
Special Thanks To Racki For The Signature!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 am
Poor Omark and Paajarvi....

I hope Dubie get the start; He's earned it. It time for the team to treat Bulin as what he really is at this point, which is nothing more then a veteran back-up/1b goalie.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:57 am
Boo @ the Horcs hate :P

Btw, some good news in Oil land...

The forward lines are still together, so that sounds like our opening night line up.

Also, Whitney is practicing again, in a contact jersey, as is Chorney. Smid is practicing now too, no contact jersey. Same for Eager.

Rumors out there that Katz is pushing for Lowe to return as GM (by a FAN590 Toronto media guy), which Lowe denies. I find this hard to believe. Don't see it happening.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm
Love the look of the forward lines and am very happy :) to see Whitney, Smid and Chorney skating.
I could see Lowe returning as the GM, but not until after this season. Remember his stepping aside had to do with spending time with the family. I feel ST was only the GM in title, or at least he had a very short leash.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm
Eager, Whitney, Gagner and Fedun on IR.

Which means Smid and Chorney NOT on IR. That's fairly good news (although many don't care for Chorney). One or both might not play on Sunday, but it's a sign they should be back soon.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:17 pm
Smid has been cleared to play.. wow that's considerably better than the one month that was originally suspected (although I think that was the number some media guesstimated).
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:06 pm
Per Tom Gazolla:

Whitney out for tomorrow. Smid says he's ready to go. Lander, RNH, Petrell excited about their first NHL game & Sam Gagner skated today.

Apparently Renney might hold Smid back though. This is a refreshing change from what we're used to here.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 pm
I like Hall and Ebs together, but I heard Hemmer played dy-no-mite. He looked ecstatic when RNH scored - I'm not used to seeing him that excited. "Yay, I have someone to play with!" It will be interesting to see how things play out in terms of lines.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:37 pm
Hemsky was his usual self.. flying around everywhere and stickhandling in a phone booth. He just had that little something missing though that enabled him to finish. Lost control a few times, but he'll get the hands back.

I just re-watched the Nuge's first goal.. damn was that a hard working goal. Hall had a great play on that goal too.

Return to Edmonton Oilers