[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Oilers scouts (and others) at FLA/MON game..

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:12 pm
Quite a few scouts from various teams are watching this game.. wonder what the deal is?

Per Eliotte Friedman:
Team w/scouts at FLA/MON tonight: STL (2 of them), COL, DET, VAN, CAL, EDM, LA, PIT, MIN, WASH, OTT, TOR (also 2), PHOE.

My best guess is that while it's in Montreal, maybe some other teams want to try and cash in on a potential Florida fire sale.

Now that Gagner is back, is he or Omark a moveable asset? What needs do you think we'd still be looking for, besides goaltending (which has been pretty good so far)? Maybe time to sell high with Khabibulin? I don't see that happening though.. pipe dream. I don't see it happening from an Oilers GM'ing standpoint even (i.e. I doubt they want to move him).

If I were looking for pieces, I'd still consider the blue line an option to improve too.

Teams scout games all the time though, so this is likely nothing.. but it's fun to speculate.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:53 pm
Khabbi for Theodore? Montreal needs D. We don't have extras in my view. They also need a good centre. Maybe Gagner is being asked about? Trying to understand Florida is harder than trying to get Steven Hawking to do the Macarena.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:06 pm
As much as I'd like to think the Oilers might be looking at getting either Kulikov or Gudbranson, it just wouldn't make sense for Tallon to trade either of them unless another GM overpaid, aside from those two, the only other panther that appeals to me is Markstrom, and same thing with him, probably have to overpay to get him.

And if its Montreal we're looking at...same thing, the only players they have that we'd want are some young D, and there's no way they are on the block with their lack injury issues.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:15 pm
I can't see Florida making too many moves involving high profile prospects/rookies or draft picks. Personally I think Tallon is implementing a rebuild in disguise, signing familiar names but no out right top end talent. Getting rid of Booth could be seen as a cap move, kind of surprising considering the financial shape pre-draft, by fans/analysts, Or perhaps it was something dealing with his inconsistency/attitude/"in the dressing room cliche". OR, how I see it, it could be a combination of these + getting rid of one of the last pieces that would compromise the "Fail for Nail" (Yakupov).

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NHL_E ... ft#Round_3
The Vancouver Canucks' third-round pick was re-acquired from the Florida Panthers as the result of a trade on October 22, 2011 that sent Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm to Florida in exchange for David Booth, Steve Reinprecht and this pick.[4]
Florida previously acquired the pick as the result of a trade on February 28, 2011 that sent Chris Higgins to Vancouver in exchange for Evan Oberg and this pick.[5]

As for the Oilers, I can see them in the hunt for a d-man and at the right price/d-man I would offer Gagner/Omark. I'd much rather offer Omark but Gagner would probably fetch more. Either way, I'd still like them both to stay for at least this season.

Return to Edmonton Oilers