[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Sam Gagner on the block?

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:29 am
Link

Seems like it could be possible. I mean, I'm not so sure the timing is good at all (his value is lower than it should be). But you kind of have to figure that he or Omark would be shopped right now. Or should they be?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:19 am
Staples hadbthe same stuff up. Staples makes some good points too. I think once November is done we may see a deal. Gagner's highest value would be at the deadline though and we had better be sure because Hemsky may be gone and Smyth is not gonna be like this forever. We have very little secondary scoring and if our goalies had not stood on their heads, we would not dare think about trading one of the few guys who can actually produce, even if it is in 40-50 pts.

Having said that, we have a glut of forwards who can play. Hartikainen comes to mind.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/catego ... urs/#entry
Coach
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:32 am
Keep as many good players as you can for as long as you can. There is no rush at all to move Gagner. If there's a deal, there's a deal, but "trade block" sounds like setting yourself up for a low-ball (not that the trade block comment has come from the Oilers themselves). If there IS a deal, it better be for a defenseman...
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:25 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:Keep as many good players as you can for as long as you can. There is no rush at all to move Gagner. If there's a deal, there's a deal, but "trade block" sounds like setting yourself up for a low-ball (not that the trade block comment has come from the Oilers themselves). If there IS a deal, it better be for a defenseman...

This road trip will be a good learning curve for the team. It could bring some of the players back to reality. Gagner might break out on the road as well. He won't be on the schnide for long. I'm hoping he gets some good PP time in being the setup man.

I tend to agree. Always try to deal from a position of strength. We all knew there would likely need to be trades, so management obviously knew this as well. I am sure they have a plan on what they want to see in the team chemistry as well as what they want to see in team development and return on assets. A defenseman would be at the top of the list. Perhaps the Bogo rumours start again. ;)
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:47 pm
Well, since the Blues were rumored, I.ll mention Pietrangelo. :P he would come at a high price though and the blues likely wouldn't move him anyway, but I'll just dream of it being possible.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:40 am
I'm quite glad there is a Gagner thread open, it gives me a chance to vent.

These are the main criticisms he's been getting on various hockey forums:

Too many give aways, crap on faceoffs, sucks on defence.

His confidence offensively is quite clearly low, he's not getting any puck luck in that regard right now.

However he's not playing anywhere near as badly as people are making him out to be, in 13 games he has 3 giveaways and 4 take aways, a neutral +/- and is 52.9% on faceoffs. He backchecks hard, is going to the tough areas of the ice at both ends of the rink and is looking a lot stronger on his skates than he has in the past.

He's always been top 60 in the league for Centers in terms of points scored, 50th last year(68gp), 53rd in 2009-10(68gp), 60th in 2008-09(76gp) and 43rd in 2007-08(79gp).

I think his value to this team, at least for the next few years, is much higher than it is to other teams, and as such any return we get for him wouldn't be good enough.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:50 am
I generally defend Gagner 'til I'm blue in the face. The faceoff stat isn't worth talking about though. He has only taken 51 draws, which is pretty small time. As far as I'm concerned, it's still a pretty valid concern for those that take issue with him at center. I still think though that despite that short coming, he'd be a good 2nd line center once the vets have moved on.

If he had value in a trade though, I would move him for a solid d-man. At this point though, he's slid off most GM's wish lists, so I don't think he's someone we really can move without taking a huge hit, so I'd agree that he shouldn't be moved.. if for nothing more than that we wouldn't get enough. But I think too that he can be a good 2nd line center or even winger. I haven't given up on him.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:03 am
There just doesn't seem to be a spot for Gags. If he was stronger on the puck, I would be okay with him. The play just seems to die every time the puck gets to him. Watch him closely and you will see what i mean.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 pm
Yes yes, I know we need D badly, but we all know that he is probably very undervalued around the league right now, sowhat do you guys think of a straight up swap of young forward prospects that have yet to hit their potential and a change of scenery could do wonders for both players...

something like Gagner for Turris or Okposo?
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:49 pm
gr8one wrote:Yes yes, I know we need D badly, but we all know that he is probably very undervalued around the league right now, sowhat do you guys think of a straight up swap of young forward prospects that have yet to hit their potential and a change of scenery could do wonders for both players...

something like Gagner for Turris or Okposo?

I mentioned and like the idea on the blog of trading for another center in the blog. I doubt we could pry Okposo away from the Islanders, even with him struggling and I don't know much about Turris other than he's never lived up to his draft pedigree.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:01 pm
Racki wrote:I generally defend Gagner 'til I'm blue in the face. The faceoff stat isn't worth talking about though. He has only taken 51 draws, which is pretty small time. As far as I'm concerned, it's still a pretty valid concern for those that take issue with him at center. I still think though that despite that short coming, he'd be a good 2nd line center once the vets have moved on.

If he had value in a trade though, I would move him for a solid d-man. At this point though, he's slid off most GM's wish lists, so I don't think he's someone we really can move without taking a huge hit, so I'd agree that he shouldn't be moved.. if for nothing more than that we wouldn't get enough. But I think too that he can be a good 2nd line center or even winger. I haven't given up on him.

in his 2 pre-season games he was over 60% in one and I think over 70% in the other. It's an area he seems to have worked on a lot over the summer, along with his skating.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:31 pm
But Gagner has already stated that faceoffs are something that you can't work on :P

I jest, I jest (Although he did say it a couple years ago).

But really, way too small a sample set. You can easily get hot against teams / individual match ups. I wouldn't read anything into it because we've seen other guys get off to super quick starts only to peter out completely, or the exact opposite.

That said, I'm definitely a fan of Gagner.. I just don't think his faceoff stats are something I'd call improved until he is doing it regularly. And especially consider that he's dropped down the depth chart since starting in the league, and it stands to reason that the matchups aren't going to be as good. But I can't confirm that either.

It would be great though if he's honed his skill.. I hope he has.. but I just think you won't be able to really tell for quite a few games.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:16 am
Alright. I was mistaken. Gagner stays Hemsky sucks donkey balls. Ferraro was right. Hemsky should be demoted to the third line. Hello, is Maxim Afinogenov out there?
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:54 am
Neener neener :P Although one good... great game... doesn't make up completely for a less than spectacular season. But I think he's finally getting back that confidence and being that player I always thought he could be. He needs a top six role and good PP minutes to thrive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:44 am
When he plays well we don't want to trade him, when he sucks we can't trade him and get value for him.
Special Thanks To Racki For The Signature!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:51 am
Mr.Majestyk wrote:When he plays well we don't want to trade him, when he sucks we can't trade him and get value for him.

Rest assured, I will be changing my mind again next week. :lol:
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:50 pm
Alan, you bastard... you went to bed for this 8 point game, didn't you? :P

Anyways.. wonder who wants to see him traded now? :lol:

Still the same value to me though.... trade him if he gets us an awesome two-way D-man, otherwise hang on to him.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 am
Internet died on me, managed to watch the rest of the game without knowing what was coming though. and God damn.

54% on the dot in this game too. now 49.7% on the season.

Return to Edmonton Oilers