[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Hall vs Seguin revisited

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 pm
Yes, another edition of the 2010 #1 vs #2. The ongoing debate will rev up to full throttle with Edm @ Bos Thursday.
Hall is 3G 6A for 9 Pts and is +3. Seguin is having a great run early in 2011 with 8G 7A, leads the B's in Pts with 15, and leads the league with a +11 (along with Souray, but that's another nightmare).

I was rooted strongly in the Seguin camp in 2010. Felt that we needed a C more then a winger at the time. It's obviously 2011 and a lot has changed. RNH has taken the team by storm. We don't suck right now, but the debate will rage for a long long time. Chime in!
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:38 pm
The Oilers are 1st in their div, 2nd in the conference, and the B's are 3rd last in their conference. That's all that really matters to me. Hall is a great player as well and he's not sitting at 9 pts because he's not that great a player, or not as good as Seguin, or what have you. He generates a lot of chances. I'd say as much as RNH does and I think each of them generate more than Eberle do. Like Hemsky in his younger years, he tries to beat guys 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 or even 1 on 3 too much though. He's a young player and still has lots to prove, but he's shown that there is a very good player there.

Would we be here with Seguin too? Quite likely. That would change this team's dynamic a bit too. I think the one thing that separates the two is character. Hall has a compete level that draws those comparisons to Mark Messier. Yah, they're exaggerated. But I think he does have a very high compete level and he's not a guy that ever takes nights off. He works hard, hates to lose, hates to sit back and watch the team lose, and he'll fucking drag this team along at all costs at the worst of times. Would Seguin? I actually don't think so. I think he's more likely to streak along.. having really good nights and really modest nights. That might be just my assumption, but I just see a much higher level of compete in Hall.

Did we need a C more than a winger 2 years ago? Yes, definitely. But patience pays off, and you always draft the best player available. I still think we got that BPA.

Also, you can never compare players directly like this (by comparing stats). Different linemates, different coaching strategies, different CONFERENCES, etc... would Hall be a 3 goal player in the East? I'm not so sure of that either. I think he'd light up the east.

My 2 cents
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:27 pm
Hall.

what would you rather have btw...If we'd have taken Seguin last year, I doubt we take RNH this year...or would we have?

Seguin/RNH? Seguin/Landeskog? Seguin/Larrsson?

Hindsight being what it is, of all of those choices I think I'd still rather have what we have...just thinking in my head of various line combos and such in the other player scenarios.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:56 pm
Both great players. I truly wanted both. They are both going to be first round pool picks for years. There is no losing by picking either. We have RNH, so I am okay with it but yeah, I would love to have Seguin here.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:26 am
I don't think we would have lost out either way. Seguin's a great player. He had some clutch performances in the finals. I saw Seguin on OTR tonight and found myself thinking we made the best choice though, because:

1 - Seguin didn't hide the fact that he didn't want to come here. He didn't want to rise to the challenge of a rebuild (and "challenge" is an understatement; last year was fugly) but rather go to a team that was already a contender. For him, maybe - the outcome was better. He has a Cup ring. But it was the easier path. He didn't have the desire and gravitas to help rev up a team that had been struggling with obvious issues. So I say "who needs 'im."

2 - Personally, I was waffling more between choosing Hall and getting a potential top D-man in Larsson than between Hall and Seguin. I thought our choice was likely to be Hall because the tipping point for the choice, other than Hall being the BPA, was his chemistry with Eberle. And that has turned out awesome. Hall and Ebs anticipate and read each other extremely well. And now we have the missing piece of the puzzle with RNH.

3- Hall wanted to come to Edmonton and be a part of the rebuild. He knew it would be hard, but he was also excited to be a part of the Oilers' energy and was obviously on board with the team's vision. He was committed to be with us during the rough seas. Victory will be that much sweeter because he started from the bottom and will help us work our way to the top (or stay there!)

I also agree with Racki about Hall's compete level. Considering these points Hall was definitely the best choice for us.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:32 am
Racki wrote:Did we need a C more than a winger 2 years ago? Yes, definitely. But patience pays off, and you always draft the best player available. I still think we got that BPA.

Also, you can never compare players directly like this (by comparing stats). Different linemates, different coaching strategies, different CONFERENCES, etc... would Hall be a 3 goal player in the East? I'm not so sure of that either. I think he'd light up the east.

My 2 cents

I just wanted to create a simple forum topic of discussion Racki. Every day players are compared. Whether you agree with how they are compared, that is for you to decide. Obviously comparing players simply by using stats is flawed, but I'm not comparing the players by their stats. I just simply added them into the the topic for volume. Never did I say that Seguin is superior to Hall based on his stats from this season. Whether you like it or not Tyler vs Taylor will be compared and analyzed for years to come. Will the comparisons be flawed, yes they will, but they will be compared none the less. A simple Google search of "Tyler vs Taylor" a few minutes ago, I found five references and comparisons all written within the last two hours.

Return to Edmonton Oilers