[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

The ongoing arena debate

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 am
I read an article by David Staples on the arena location and ongoing debate/negotiations. http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/0 ... -the-city/

As a former Edmontonian and now satellite community dweller (Stony Plain), this article pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue as well. Downtown needs a shot in the arm and so does the image of the city. This is a great way to do both.

I know there are always gripes about tax dollars etc., but locationally, I don't think one could argue against it with a lot of merit in terms of where our downtown is now and where it should be headed.

Enoch would be a mess. There would always be issues there. Trust me on that.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:21 am
chucker wrote:I read an article by David Staples on the arena location and ongoing debate/negotiations. http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/0 ... -the-city/

As a former Edmontonian and now satellite community dweller (Stony Plain), this article pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue as well. Downtown needs a shot in the arm and so does the image of the city. This is a great way to do both.

I know there are always gripes about tax dollars etc., but locationally, I don't think one could argue against it with a lot of merit in terms of where our downtown is now and where it should be headed.

Enoch would be a mess. There would always be issues there. Trust me on that.

Agree 100%. I'm in Sherwood Park and dont have my tax dollars invested, but it seems the best way to try and fix the downtown and keep the Oilers viable for years to come. I work downtown and see the darkside of things all too often. We deserve better! I also find it amusing when people against the project bring up the need to improve roads and snow clearing. This money would never go to increase those budgets. The city infrastructure does need to improve, but the money earmarked to this project will not find its way into the road paving budget if council turns down the Arena. :lol:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 am
Build a downtown arena district similar to what they did around staples center in LA. I know when the arena is done I'll be headed over for a few games and if there is a bunch of other new stuff to check out around it you can be sure more money will be spent there too.

Return to Edmonton Oilers