[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Roloson for Khabibulin swap?

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:39 pm
Over at Puck Daddy they suggest a Dwayne Roloson for Nikolai Khabibulin swap. Each have had great success with the other players' current teams. What do you think? We'd shed a year of contract in that deal. I'd definitely do it, as I think Roli is as good or better than Khabibulin, and we shed a contract year.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:09 pm
I think a move like this would solidify our top five pick. Not that Khabi is going anywhere/getting younger but a move like this would basically be a transaction just for the sake of making a transaction and sad to say it but I'd rather have Khabi at this point than Roli (he was hot last year but I'd imagine age will get the best of him soon).

If we are "de-loading" Khabi I'm pretty sure he could fetch more to a bubble team trying to make the playoffs or even a contender if one of their goalies goes down. I'd say wait it out some more before we deal Khabi, we can get more valuable pieces then a goaltender who is sure to retire soon.

If the deadline was this week I'd probably talk to a team like NJ or CHI.

EDIT: I'm not saying TB would be a bad team to trade with either but I don't think a straight swap like that would be the best idea.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:21 pm
I'm of the belief that it would be a good idea, just for the sake of shedding a year of contract. Khabi is having a great year this year, yes, but let's not forget he just came off of two shitty years with us. This year he's been pretty good, but he's batting 33% for us so far :P I'm not sure what level of Khabi we'll get next year. The Khabibulin we're seeing this year is the Khabi I thought we signed back in '09... but even then, I thought a 4-year deal was a bad decision.

If we can get more for Khabibulin, I'd be all for it. But I think this is a horizontal move as far as goaltending abilities (I'd say Roloson would be as good as Khabibulin if were here), but it's an improvement contract wise. Thus why I'd be interested in the deal.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:53 am
Roli + a conditional pick for Khabi sure. 3rd round if they don't make the playoffs, 2nd if they do, 1st if they reach the conf final.

Roli has been aweful this season, khabi has done well with less infront of him.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 am
Sounds like a good suggestion, although I'd dial back the draft picks a round perhaps, as I think it might be a little bit to ask for when trading a guy like Khabi.

Man what a difference a year makes, btw, hey?

Last year we were talking about stuffing Khabibulin in for free with Hemsky and other players, and speaking of his insanely negative value.... :P
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:36 pm
I would do it because it sheds us of Khabbi and puts a small PR positive on the team. Also, Roloson would all but ensure a 30th place finish. Also, I think Dubs would get more games and let us figure out if he is in any of our plans for next year.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:43 pm
See I personally think Khabi and Roli would be a wash, skill wise. I think Roli could play as well as Khabi did here, even if he struggled in Tampa this year. And that extra contract year going bye bye? That's a big deal.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:22 pm
Racki wrote:See I personally think Khabi and Roli would be a wash, skill wise. I think Roli could play as well as Khabi did here, even if he struggled in Tampa this year. And that extra contract year going bye bye? That's a big deal.

I agree. Maybe Roli could dial up some magic for the rest of the year. It sure would be nice to shed that extra year on Khabbi, as you said.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:13 pm
In related goaltending news, Steve-O was mentioning to me at lunch about Ben Bishop from St. Louis likely being available for cheap because the Twitter talk (courtesy of Bob McKenzie) is he's about to become a Group 6 UFA (meaning that unless he plays 17 more games at the NHL level, he'll become a UFA July 1st).

Bishop is doing really well in Peoria (AHL). He has 27 games played (starter there, looks like), 17-10-0 record, 2.17 GAA and a 0.932 Sv%. Of course it's just the AHL, but looks like he's had some decent numbers throughout his career.. some good highs and some lows in there too, unfortunately. Maybe worth a 4th rounder or something.

Then we trade away Khabibulin somewhere (not to St. Louis.. another trade) and play the crap out of Bishop at the NHL level. If he makes an impact here, fantastic. If he doesn't.. well, we're "Failing for Nail" or "No Hurry - for Murray" as I coined on the way back to work (or "Bury for Murray").
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 pm
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... pproaches/
Dear God please!
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:24 pm
I think the Oilers should deal Khabi (duh) and then offer up something for Ben Bishop to finish off the rest of the season. The Blues are very likely to lose him for nothing, so I'm guessing we can get him for next to nothing, and finish out the rest of the season giving him as many games as we can handle (he needs 15 games, I believe, or he becomes a group VI UFA - what Curtis Glencross almost became as an Oiler). If he doesn't look good, well, we cut our losses and just roll with Doobie for now.

I of course was a proponent for signing Khabibulin, but as I've always said (Right from when that contract was signed), it was a horrible contract. They should move it any chance they get. Next year we can make other plans in net. There's a few interesting names out there in the free agent market next year.

From what I understand, Bishop is a fairly decent goaltending prospect too. So we stand to gain a good nearly-ready NHL goaltender should he work out, but I think it would be minimal risk. The season would be pretty much a loss though I think if we move Khabi for a guy like Bishop.

Really though, this team needs to move on from Khabi, for sure and cut a bad contract.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 pm
Racki wrote:I think the Oilers should deal Khabi (duh) and then offer up something for Ben Bishop to finish off the rest of the season. The Blues are very likely to lose him for nothing, so I'm guessing we can get him for next to nothing, and finish out the rest of the season giving him as many games as we can handle (he needs 15 games, I believe, or he becomes a group VI UFA - what Curtis Glencross almost became as an Oiler). If he doesn't look good, well, we cut our losses and just roll with Doobie for now.

I of course was a proponent for signing Khabibulin, but as I've always said (Right from when that contract was signed), it was a horrible contract. They should move it any chance they get. Next year we can make other plans in net. There's a few interesting names out there in the free agent market next year.

From what I understand, Bishop is a fairly decent goaltending prospect too. So we stand to gain a good nearly-ready NHL goaltender should he work out, but I think it would be minimal risk. The season would be pretty much a loss though I think if we move Khabi for a guy like Bishop.

Really though, this team needs to move on from Khabi, for sure and cut a bad contract.

Agreed on all points.

Return to Edmonton Oilers