[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Ben Eager..

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:36 pm
Just wanted to note that he won fastest skater at the Oilers skills competition this year, doing it in 13.58 seconds.

Now I think Ben Eager has gone all Georges Laraque on us, in the sense that he seems to have stopped fighting altogether and wants to be a hockey player. I'm not entirely happy about that because he was picked up to add toughness, and protection and I am not certain he does that.

However, I will say that I've noticed in a lot of games that he has crazy wheels. He's kind of underrated in that regard. He has a ways to go to be a more complete player, but I thought I'd give him a bit of props for winning that part of the competition. 13.58 is a very fast time, although one might question the Oilers' measurement of that stat or how he reached that time (guys have been known to do it by stretching their stick to stop the clock, for example). No one has done faster than that in the last 10 years at the NHL skills comp, so I doubt it was really that low, but I will say I've noticed how often he burns guys while going after pucks. All this with a 230lb frame. Too bad he doesn't have the soft hands to go with that speed.

Nonetheless though, I know he hasn't been much of a fan favorite here (I think anyways), but I've been happy with the signing. Just wish he would drop the gloves more. Only 1 fight this year.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:39 pm
For the record, the next closest was Hall with 13.97. Eager was almost a full second faster than the others. Petry wiped out right off the start and still managed 14.7 somehow.

Hordichuk bet Peckham $500 that he'd be faster than him, and BARELY won.. 14.41 seconds to 14.47 seconds.

Return to Edmonton Oilers