[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Hockey News predict last place finish for Oilers

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:41 am
Crott wrote:I don't see the Oilers drafting 1st overall again, maybe top five though... Eventually the Oilers have to be some what healthy, and being a contract year I think we'll finally see a healthy Hemsky. Only to be traded...

I think we draft 1st overall using the Avs pick which we get from the Caps when we trade Hemsky to them at the deadline :lol:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:46 pm
Really have no expectations on where we will finish in the west but I would be shocked if we finished below the Flames and Yotes who I expect to finish in the bottom two spots of the conference this upcoming season.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:58 pm
hey.. welcome to the forum version of the foil, G&O ;) Too bad you weren't around to get in on the pool :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:39 am
Gas wrote:Really have no expectations on where we will finish in the west but I would be shocked if we finished below the Flames and Yotes who I expect to finish in the bottom two spots of the conference this upcoming season.

I would be surprised if we finished behind Dallas too. They got worse thisw off-season in my mind.
Coach
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:03 am
NorwegianOiler wrote:
Racki wrote:I do think there is a bit to be said about having a guy in the lineup that will actually retaliate (I don't think MacIntyre was at all that guy, so that's why guys continued to take liberties). I assume Mr. M meant that we wouldn't have lost Hall for the rest of the season? I don't think we would have, because he wouldn't have had to be the one fighting that battle since everyone else seems to be too honorable to fight someone below their weight class and/or take a suspension. I think one or both of the new guys aren't afraid to do that.

I also would say that there's a good chance that at least a couple of the rooks have their sophomore jinx. But I think the team will improve out of 15th.. maybe 10th? I'd still be happy with that.

It's tremendously speculative to say that he would or would not have injured himself. In a butterfly effect scenario changing just a minute thing would have changed it all :P To entertain the idea, I'd say that Hall's competitive streak and will to win would have put him in that fight anyway. He was the one that really initiated it. If anything, the cheap solution is to control his instincts. Hopefully Eager and Hordi will never touch the ice at the same time as Hall, which would have left him out there to fight pretty much regardless. I think Hall will fight again, just because he's proving himself as a complete player in the NHL.

Freak injury. Hall initiated it (though tired of checks, but that's the way it goes with or without so-called deterrents). No statistic support the idea that fist-throwing PIM-collecting goons prevent injury.

And also: Hall says he'll fight again ;)
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:36 am
Oh yes yes... I know it's not like we can wrap him in bubble wrap and keep him safe. But I think that while Hordi or Eager won't keep the rookies out of every fight, they can reduce them for them, and reduce the wear and tear. Like I've said before, it's not all 1's and 0's / all or nothing. I'm not talking about keeping him out of every single fight, but if they can make the odd guy think twice, that could go a long way too. But it takes the right fighter to be able to do that.. someone who isn't afraid of the suspensions, and doesn't have the mentality that he can't fight guys under his weight class.
Previous

Return to Edmonton Oilers