[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Hemsky re-signing looking grim..?

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:43 pm
I'm basing it on an Edmonton Journal article by Jim Matheson.

"Hemsky doesn’t have the same qualifier but could stop the myriad of trade destination rumours — Los Angeles, Nashville, the Rangers, Detroit, maybe Washington — if he would agree to a short-term deal to stay for $4.5 million to $5 million a year, knowing his employers are a little gun-shy about his physical well-being to tie him up with a longer package. But, it doesn’t sound like he’s up for that."

This could just be Matheson's speculation though, but if he's wanting a long term deal for that kind of cash or more, I think that's trouble for the Oilers. We need to take things a little slower with him, I think, to be safe. On the flip side, the trade market for him does not sound good at all either. Add to that, I just heard an interview with Hemsky where he said "I've worked hard r to become a free agent". I'm not sure what to make of that.

I don't think he's holding a gun to our heads or anything. Nowhere near the same situation here, but I it might as well be another Chris Pronger trade if we make one, because we aren't going to get 100 cents on the dollar at all here, and we might not be able to afford to re-sign him.

Oi.

I hope that Matheson was wrong though, but that quote by Hemsky makes it sound like he wants to get paiiiiid. And well, based on every other year but this one, I would say he's justified. After this year though, he'd be lucky to break even.

What's a GM to do?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:05 pm
Here's the video on ST and Trades (Hemsky comes up quite a bit).
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter ... &id=157526

Here is Hemsky's side.
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter ... &id=157526

Even with all the injuries, I'm going to miss the guy.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 pm
In all honesty, I took nothing out of the ST interview. It was the usual case of a GM keeping his cards close to his chest.. kind of have to expect that.

From Hemsky's side, I didn't really take anything negative out of that, and I maybe take things back a bit from what I originally heard, now that I've listened more closely. I think if anything, he's probably frustrated with the media's insistence that he's going to get traded as well as us fans buying into the idea as well (I say "us" because I've done my share of that from time to time and even though this was his worst year yet performance wise wish all that would go away).

It's still a concern if he won't take a discount to stay here, since he's not our #1 anymore. But I don't think we should draw any focus on him wanting out. Some bloggers (poking fun at myself here) and media like to take one comment and run with it and make a mountain out of a molehill. It's possible he wants out, but in hindsight I think he was led to that comment by Ryan Rishaug. I think he does like it here and wants to be here. I'm concerned that he's leaving it all up to his agent, but that's how these deals generally go. But we've seen where that can go sometimes (see Ryan Smyth).

At any rate, I think he's a good player that still has some good years left in him. He's not the centerpiece anymore here. If he can handle that, and his agent can handle that, I'll welcome him back with open arms. Otherwise then, yes, he may need to go. I'll miss him too though. Quite frankly though, I'm not too optimistic something will get done between him and the Oilers.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:14 pm
Hemsky is saying all the wrong things to anyone that would hope he stays. Dude is gone, gone gone, like Gnarles Barkley. The good thing is his value has gone up with his good play of late and an injury to Tuommo Ruutu.

Edit@Racki. Yeah. He definitely wants to get paid. He will not settle. Years of playing with the most overpaid player next to Scott Gomez has to piss you off. Just sayin'.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 pm
Yah I never thought about that, but the Ruutu injury definitely helps our trade market a bit.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:27 pm
I would like to see him in an Oilers jersey too however it doesn't sound very positive on both sides. Hemsky wants a long term deal with decent dough for a contract (that's what I take from it) and ST is going to have to judge the cap so he can make room for Hall/Ebs/RNH + (most likely this years draft pick). It's not that it can't be done but I don't think Hemsky is going to get the value he wants nor the number of years.

This post went to some preview page, it's a bit delayed. But yeah the Ruutu injury helps out the market for Hemmer.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 am
Hmm, strange thought.... if Carolina really wants to move Ruutu, but the market has died... maybe they can sign him then trade him to us in a package for one of our available players (ex. Hemsky)?

Wishful thinking that we'd do that, on my part. I think he'd be a great 2nd/3rd line guy for us though. Yah I'm dreaming that it would happen, especially with the whole "Sign and trade" part. Doesn't happen all that often I'm sure.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 pm
So Stauffer is saying that Hemsky's side might be softening on a 2 or 3 year deal now. Would you do it? I definitely would do 2 years at a fair value for him... only question being "what is fair value for him now?"
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 pm
Racki wrote:So Stauffer is saying that Hemsky's side might be softening on a 2 or 3 year deal now. Would you do it? I definitely would do 2 years at a fair value for him... only question being "what is fair value for him now?"

Yeah I think I would. It's not a matter of him not being good enough or not needing his secondary scoring. We need it for sure. I guess it would depend on NMC/NTC for me. That would be a non-starter. Fair value is likely 4.5. No more. Neal just signed and that sets the bar. Neal is better than Hemsky in my eyes. With so many teams in contention, it might be hard to refuse some of the offers, especially if a Jack Johnson is being offered or a Bernier....
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 pm
I believe Elliotte Friedman mentioned in his 30 thoughts that L.A. were likely offering both Johnson and Bernier for a top forward. However it would take more than Hemsky in that case. But really, I would probably do it for Bernier alone.

Return to Edmonton Oilers