[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

The Rebuild Part 2: Trade Deadline

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:53 pm
The Rebuild Part 2: Trade Deadline

“Ales for sure was the primary focus of our trade deadline” – Steve Tambellini

The NHL Trade Deadline is the last time a team can acquire assets before heading into the post season. There can be multiple types of transactions that occur usually ranging from bolstering a team for the playoffs to acquiring futures assets that will help the organization down the road. Either way the organization is trying to improve whether it’s immediate or down the line. Depending on where the organization is heading can have a large impact of the type of deals that may occur on deadline day.

As I mentioned in The Rebuild Part One, in essence the dismal 2009-2010 season, sparked the rebuild in its entirety, on and off the ice. Let’s begin be looking at looking at the deadline after the 2009-2010 season.

Trade Deadline 2011

Last year the Oilers made a minor league deal involving moving Shawn Belle to acquire Kevin Montgomery. The big trade of the day for the Oilers though involved moving a current roster player for future assets.

To the Los Angeles Kings:
Dustin Penner (21G-18A-39PTS)

To the Edmonton Oilers:
Colten Teubert (AHL)
2011 1st Round Pick (#19, Oscar Klefbom)
2012 2nd Round Pick (conditional)

“It became quite evident that the return was going to fit in what we are trying to do here. We have to give up a good player but the first round pick and the first round prospect of a defenseman that we don’t have a lot of. He’s not ready for prime time yet (Teubert) but he will be but he will be soon. Plus the second pick fits perfectly into what the overall plan is as far as going ahead.” - Steve Tambellini

Trade Deadline 2012

“Ales for sure was the primary focus of our trade deadline. If we were to lose that type of skill from our roster and not able to replace it at the deadline, then we would have had a lot of work to do.” – Steve Tambellini

The direction of the Trade Deadline has changed drastically from last year, this is evident with the recent signings of Andy Sutton (arguably a decent fetch if we traded him to a competing team), Ales Hemsky and the “Hockey Trade” that sent Tom Gilbert to Minnesota for defensemen Nick Schultz.

To the Minnesota Wild:
Tom Gilbert

To the Edmonton Oilers:
Nick Schultz

What do we get in Nick Schultz?

“What we get in Nick Schultz is a dependable, very fit, experienced defensemen... his compete level is hard, he’s a match up guy, he plays a lot against the top lines...” – Steve Tambellini

Nick Schultz is an underrated defenseman who is not overly physical but is great with his gap control and plays a pretty good positional game. In Minnesota he was used primarily in a defensive role being able to calm the waters and racked up a lot of ice time on the penalty kill. He is not the flashiest player; he won’t make big open ice hits, tends to struggle in the corners and physical battles but he is dependable, good at keeping the puck on the perimeter, has a good transitional game and can be counted on him in the dire minutes of the game. Schultz is a great locker room guy, I haven’t heard a negative thing yet, and will be a great addition to the dressing room for character and leadership. He puts in a full effort every night and leads by example on and off the ice.

Overview
I would say that the foundation and core of this Edmonton Oilers team and rebuild is more or less established with the possibility of adding another lottery pick in the mix and another strong draft this offseason. This deadline has made it clear that the Oilers are headed in a competitive direction, retaining players (Sutton, Hemsky, mummers of Smyth contract talks) and adding roster players as opposed to dealing players to acquire bullets (draft picks) for Stu MacGregor and his team. I think it says a lot for the organization that the Oilers signed Hemsky, albeit a high price, we are beginning to retain high level NHL talent. The actions of the Trade Deadline this year has arguably made the Oilers a more competitive. With the addition of Nick Schultz we have begun to address our blue-line issues however it doesn’t solve everything. Our defence (among other holes) should be addressed during the off-season and not via the kid we pick at draft.

Next: The Rebuild Part Three – NHL Entry Draft

It's looking like the draft section is going to be quite immense, I'm deciding how to break it up right now. So far I think it could end up looking like this...

i) The NHL Entry Draft: Introduction - Huge breakdown in scouting, what teams look for in players, how to grade players etc. My goal is for a fan to get good understanding on the whole process, or as much as I can interpret, in fitness, on ice performance and in psychological aspects (mostly, if not all performance related). Example: how characteristics can be adaptive or mal-adaptive to performance.

ii) Draft Primer: In depth analysis on the "top three picks" - in my eyes (I might do more depending on where the Oilers end up in the draft). Player profile analysis, stats, projections etc.

iii) The Rebuild Part Three - NHL Entry Draft - (After draft day) an overview of selections, transactions etc.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm
Excellent as always. I like the draft breakdown idea.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:11 am
Excellent post as always. I'll put it up on the blog after tomorrow's game sometime (just so it doesn't get smooshed by a lowly GDT).
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 pm
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I have a feeling come draft we will have quite the discussion going on. The trade deadline is more of an overview than anything...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22 pm
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/31/c ... new-normal

I thought this would dovetail nicely with this topic. Next year's camp.....started ten games ago.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:36 pm
Good article find Chucker! Interesting quotes by Renney. The way he states certain things, in such a future perspective, leads me to believe that he may be staying here for another season...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:14 pm
chucker wrote:http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/31/coming-soon-for-oilers-new-normal

I thought this would dovetail nicely with this topic. Next year's camp.....started ten games ago.

This definatly is an interesting article. I wonder if there will be a change in captaincy? Ether by way of stripping the "C" from Horcoff(seems doubtful, since this organization has never done such a thing) or by way of potentially buying out Horcoff if the new CBA allows each team to drop a player without any cap penalty, which has had some rumblings around the league.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm
I honestly think: a) he will be, because this season is the way it is more by the design up management/owner, and b) I don't think he's a bad coach.

I think if he now has a better complement of players, as well as realizes who runs the show (which he does, per the article Chucker linked), this team will be good next year. But hey, I say that every year. I think though that a lot of the reigns will be handed over to Eberle, Nuge and Hall. Not just cherry minutes, but a lot more responsibility. It could make their offensive numbers drop though. But I think it will help the team overall.

We don't often cut them any slack, but Horcoff, Smyth, Hemsky, Belanger and some others have been carrying an unrealistic load for most of this year. They've been bagged with all the hard minutes. We might see the kids' numbers go down, but we might also see the numbers of what should be a legit group of vets go up. I also think our blue line is getting better and better. We still need that one stalwart on the blueline though, I think. Then guys like Potter won't be over-utilized.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 pm
I think it goes without saying, but for the record, I'm extremely opposed to stripping Horcoff of the C. He's done a lot of what he's been asked.... tasked with an insurmountable load most nights and handles it fairly well. I think this has been a solid season for him too this year. I don't think this team is where it is again because of him, but he'll be a likely target for fan aggression.

Amnestied in the new CBA? If there is a re-signing after, I'd be happy with that.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:40 pm
Yeah I don't have any problems with horcs as our captian and I am not trying to harp on him or anything. Just seems that turning the team over to the young guys could possibly start there. I do have that habit of reading to much into things :)

However if we can get rid of Horcoff's cap hit scott free. I do it regardless of if we resign him afterwards or not.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:53 pm
Agreed. I like Horcoff, but even his own mother wouldn't deny that his contract is an albatross.

And really, I think he makes a good captain, but I could see the reigns handed over to a new captain too.. but I'm not sure we're there just yet. I think Horcoff makes a good captain due to his intellect, the way he carries himself off/on ice, and his work ethic. I think Hall will be a guy that I can picture as captain one day, but I think he's got to mature a bit before that's a good idea. No need to put that pressure on him yet either.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:42 am
That would be sweet to dump Horc's contract.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 pm
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ed ... 90331.html
Something more to ponder.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 pm
Just a quick update. It's exam time and for procrastinators like me... Well, lets just say that Part Three of the series is on its way, and I hope my mark doesn't suffer too bad for it (I've spent the last two hours working on it as opposed to studying for my finals..).

Anyways, since there was a huge change in the whole drafting process the direction of this series has changed quite a bit. As a matter of fact I've almost completely nixed the whole draft portion. I wrote up a real rough copy of the "The NHL Entry Draft: Introduction" but decided to just meld the next part of the series with the whole off season due to the fact the we have the #1 pick and well... you'll see how it goes.

The next part of the series is titled: "The Rebuild Part Three: Building a Championship Team". As of right now there's about 3.5 pages looking over the make-up of Stanley Cup champs' teams and how they got there and a current Oilers depth chart. Then there's about half a page of content and important points. It will probably come out to around five pages (don't worry 3.5 pages are depth charts/acquisitions-there will be more to "look at" than read). If all goes well, especially with exams it should be up by Friday!

Return to Edmonton Oilers