[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Solution!?

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 pm
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/O ... story.html
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 pm
Hahaha, I presume you are anti-Renney.

Myself, I belong to the anti-Tambellini crowd. I think Renney played the cards he was handed fairly well (here me out, because that comment is one that will make most people pull their hair out). The kids played phenomenally well, as did some such as Petry / Smid.. and Doobie in stretches. We also saw huge improvements in our special teams. I think the veteran group on this team should really hang their heads in shame because to me that's who let the team down. I think there was too little of give a damn from some guys after Hall, Eberle, and Nuge, and Smid, and a few others.

I think it's possible though that Renney perhaps burned his vets out a bit much early on in the year. But I don't see that being a problem again next year, because I think he (should he be back) will let the kids run with the ball a lot more this year.

But yah, I was anti-MacT because he was here for friggen forever and he lost the room (he admitted that himself). I don't think that Renney's even close to losing the room here. All the players seem very supportive of him and the rest of the coaching staff. They want them back. They're not just saying that because they have to. I'm pretty sure they want the coaching staff back and think they can succeed under that same staff. I think you give Renney another year.

Really, I think Tambellini's objective for a while has been to scoop up draft pick after draft pick. I think he had no interest this year in really pulling the team out of the gutter. The holes on this team have been obvious for a while. Some holes were fixed at the start of the year, but some still are there (goaltending being one... defense being questionable, but we might be closer now). I think Renney was put in a position where he wasn't supposed to get into the playoffs. I could be wrong, but that's just my thought. Otherwise, I'd think Tambo would have done something when the horrible slide started.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:01 pm
Likely correct. I am just sick of losing.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:47 pm
Totally agreed on that. I think in order to win though, we'll need a higher average level of defensemen ability (stealing NorOil's idea on that, as I think I can get on board with that), a goaltender that can actually carry the load here, and some depth guys, as well as some implementation changes from the coaching staff (meaning how they coach).

On the d-comment, I think we're a lot better than how we started last year. We could probably fake this now.
On the goaltending comment, I think this will be our Achilles heel next year, and this could break us more than anything, cause all signs point to Tambellini standing pat and the team "evaluating" Dubnyk some more. Yuck. Nothing against Dubnyk at all. I just think we need another guy that he can back up.
On the depth guys note... I think Tambellini will take another stab with some. I think we'll see Hordi gone, and someone else will come in. Ideally we need a guy with Eager's talent (although obviously better would be nice..) but Hordi's level of rage. Hell, we might even move Eager too. I liked how he can play hockey, but not sure why he isn't filling the tough guy role unless it's injury related.
Coaching implementation changes.. I think Renney and co. mentioned this will happen. The kids will get more ice time in all situations. Nuff said.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:36 pm
Racki wrote:Totally agreed on that. I think in order to win though, we'll need a higher average level of defensemen ability (stealing NorOil's idea on that, as I think I can get on board with that), a goaltender that can actually carry the load here, and some depth guys, as well as some implementation changes from the coaching staff (meaning how they coach).

On the d-comment, I think we're a lot better than how we started last year. We could probably fake this now.
On the goaltending comment, I think this will be our Achilles heel next year, and this could break us more than anything, cause all signs point to Tambellini standing pat and the team "evaluating" Dubnyk some more. Yuck. Nothing against Dubnyk at all. I just think we need another guy that he can back up.
On the depth guys note... I think Tambellini will take another stab with some. I think we'll see Hordi gone, and someone else will come in. Ideally we need a guy with Eager's talent (although obviously better would be nice..) but Hordi's level of rage. Hell, we might even move Eager too. I liked how he can play hockey, but not sure why he isn't filling the tough guy role unless it's injury related.
Coaching implementation changes.. I think Renney and co. mentioned this will happen. The kids will get more ice time in all situations. Nuff said.

Agreed on all points.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:54 pm
Just saw on Global that Kruger is looking for work in Europe......
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:21 pm
Krueger denied it today. But that doesn't make it false. Either way, I can honestly say I wouldn't be happy to use lose him. I think he's a smart guy and has a really good rapport with the players.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 pm
Racki wrote:Krueger denied it today. But that doesn't make it false. Either way, I can honestly say I wouldn't be happy to use lose him. I think he's a smart guy and has a really good rapport with the players.

I agree. He's not going to confirm it if it's true. I really like him. Personally, I think he is wat better than Renney.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 am
I actually have no problems with Renney. But I understand the impatience over him too.

But I just think we went the "its coaching's fault" route once already and that wasn't it. Unless we just went from bad to worse.

I could definitely handle giving an opportunity to someone else, but I sure hope it's Nelson we give it to, and not Sutter. I'm just not that sure Brent Sutter is the coaching legend people claim him to be... at least at the NHL level. And well, we're taking a risk anyways, I'd say we go with the devil we know in Renney and co, or the other guy, Todd Nelson, who knows our young players quite well and got a lot of success out of them.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 pm
Racki wrote:I actually have no problems with Renney. But I understand the impatience over him too.

But I just think we went the "its coaching's fault" route once already and that wasn't it. Unless we just went from bad to worse.

I could definitely handle giving an opportunity to someone else, but I sure hope it's Nelson we give it to, and not Sutter. I'm just not that sure Brent Sutter is the coaching legend people claim him to be... at least at the NHL level. And well, we're taking a risk anyways, I'd say we go with the devil we know in Renney and co, or the other guy, Todd Nelson, who knows our young players quite well and got a lot of success out of them.

I agree on Nelson. I am not sold on Sutter as an NHL coach. He really has not done much. Interesting though. He left Calgary with a winning record. I am just not a fan of Sutter hockey. Boring traps and no creativity allowed.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:59 pm
Maybe we have the dual coach system.. have Renney teach coach-less hockey to the kids, and have Sutter handle the rest of the hacks on the team. lol

Return to Edmonton Oilers