[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Nail Yakupov 2012 Draft

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 pm
NAIL YAKUPOV

“I’m not like Bure or like Semin, Ovechkin, the whole players in the world are different and I want to be a Nail and, that’s it.”Nail Yakupov

http://chl.uploads.mrx.ca/ohl/images/en/newser/2011/04/Yakupov_(39)0604.JPG - Original Image OHL.com

Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Left
Height/Weight: 5’10, 189lbs
Birthday: October 6, 1993
Born in/Home town: Nizhnekamsk, RUS

Yesterday the hockey gods looked down upon us and graced us with the first overall pick. Who would have guessed that? Not many. I’m sure the primary concern for yesterday’s lottery is that the Oilers didn’t fall in position. Low and behold we won.

I’ll admit, at first I was sceptical of the thought of the Oilers drafting Nail Yakupov. I’ve done my homework on the other players but barely knew anything beside some stats and a few highlight videos. The draft position was announced a little more than 24hrs ago and since then I’ve begun to look more into Nail Yakupov. The more I find, well take a look for yourself...

Important Quotes

“Nail along with Alex Galchenyuk are two of the hardest working players off the ice I have seen in my 12 years with the Sting. He is constantly working on his game be it on the ice or in the gym constantly wanting to get better. In the dressing room he is a true character. Easily one of the more popular players among his teammates. He has two distinct sides to him. When it comes to hockey he is all business but outside of the game he is one of the more engaging personalities I have come across in my time in junior hockey.” - Mark Glavin (Assistant GM of the Sarnia Sting)

Remember to take into account this guy was with the team when Steven Stamkos was in their organization.

“The passion and drive that Yakupov displays on a nightly basis is his most admirable quality. On nights where Yakupov has to earn every point and play through frustration he still competes with every inch he has. When Yakupov’s teammates score, he celebrates like he did the scoring. When Yakupov earns an assist, he celebrates like it was his first ever assist. And, when Yakupov does the scoring, he celebrates like he will never score again.” – Brendan Ross

"He really gets up to top speed very quickly and his hands are outstanding. LikePavel Bure, Yakupov is dangerous every shift. He may not have been dominant on every shift like Bure was, but he created something every shift … you have to be aware where he is on the ice all the time." – Chris Edwards (NHL Central Scouting)

Nail Yakupov Quotes

“I definitely want to go to Edmonton and play for the Oilers, for sure," - Nail Yakupov

“If they draft me, I will work very hard to make the team, give it everything I’ve got to work hard and play for the Oilers." - Nail Yakupov (Terry Jones - Edmonton Sun) Props to dawgtoy for finding this!

Comparison: "I want to be my own player; I don't compare my style to an NHL player."

Best asset: "My bread is my legs, and I have good hands, just not as good as [teammate Alex Galchenyuk]."

Where do you need improvement: "Can never do enough to become all-round better player."

NHL Website

“Russia win. Russia better than Canada, so... See you next time.”Nail Yakupov (World Juniors)

Statistics

Stats from Eliteprospects http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=21228

This kid can score. At first glance, looking at his boxcars this year, it doesn't look as nearly as impressive as his first season. However he was actually putting up more points.

His first year he was scoring about 1.5 PPG and this year he was scoring 1.6 PPG. If he played the same amount of games as he did last season he'd probably finish the year at an estimated 65GP 48G 59A 107PTS As a quick comparison Yakupov has very similar numbers to Taylor Hall especially when it comes to PPG.

Youtube Video

I think this song is a good portrayal of Nail Yakupov.

Extra Reading
I'm sure you'll come across many more resources but here are a couple. HF boards is filled with comments, you may have to sift through quite a bit though.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdet ... dpid=10750
http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-profile/
Last edited by Zack on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:26 pm
Thanks for that, Zack. Good stuff, as always. I'm excited at the prospect of drafting Nail. I think the Oilers will really consider every option though. By that I just mean that they may trade the pick, but I would be absolutely ecstatic if we drafted #1 overall and picked Nail. I think the team drafting #1 HAS to take Yakupov.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:42 am
Money is not your life, yeah everybody wants money, but a couple of guys want to play hockey first. If you start thinking about money you're done. - Yakupov
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 pm
Alan-NottsUK wrote:Money is not your life, yeah everybody wants money, but a couple of guys want to play hockey first. If you start thinking about money you're done. - Yakupov

I just hope he is not too cocky that the Oil brass get scared. They are comparing him to Bure in sore reports as to explosiveness and skill. There is no choice here. It would be like trading Kane or Stamkos......like I did in the keeper league. :o
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 am
“Nail along with Alex Galchenyuk are two of the hardest working players off the ice I have seen in my 12 years with the Sting. He is constantly working on his game be it on the ice or in the gym constantly wanting to get better. In the dressing room he is a true character. Easily one of the more popular players among his teammates. He has two distinct sides to him. When it comes to hockey he is all business but outside of the game he is one of the more engaging personalities I have come across in my time in junior hockey.” - Mark Glavin (Assistant GM of the Sarnia Sting)

I love this quote Zachman. I said it before and I'll say it again, should the Oilers management find a way to secure a second pick in the top five ... Galchenyuk(Born in the USA) should be an Edmonton Oiler! How do you make a Russian happy to be an Edmonton Oiler? Bring in his team mate/center from Sarnia. This would rival the move made by Burke in securing the sisters IMO. Can you imagine a line of Hall Yakupov Galchenyuk??? Could anyone catch them??? Then you make an offer to Schultz that he can't refuse, signing the best NCAA prospect and likely the most NHL ready prospect outside the NHL. What is left ???? Throw Gagner plus a package of Omark etc... to sign a solid D man. We could afford to overpay shortterm with a UFA such as Garrison. The limits are endless provided Tambo has the Cajones.
• In 2010-11, Galchenyuk finished second among Ontario Hockey League rookies with 83 points (31-52--83), behind only his teammate and good friend Nail Yakupov (49-52--101).
•Galchenyuk has elite skills and marries it with a competitive streak that is unrivalled by his peers. In addition to his scoring exploits, as he was the highest scoring 94 in the OHL last season with 83 points in all 68 games, he is an incredibly smart two-way player. He simply hates to lose and his training regime is second to none as he is very committed off ice.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:30 pm
dawgtoy wrote:“Nail along with Alex Galchenyuk are two of the hardest working players off the ice I have seen in my 12 years with the Sting. He is constantly working on his game be it on the ice or in the gym constantly wanting to get better. In the dressing room he is a true character. Easily one of the more popular players among his teammates. He has two distinct sides to him. When it comes to hockey he is all business but outside of the game he is one of the more engaging personalities I have come across in my time in junior hockey.” - Mark Glavin (Assistant GM of the Sarnia Sting)

I love this quote Zachman. I said it before and I'll say it again, should the Oilers management find a way to secure a second pick in the top five ... Galchenyuk(Born in the USA) should be an Edmonton Oiler! How do you make a Russian happy to be an Edmonton Oiler? Bring in his team mate/center from Sarnia. This would rival the move made by Burke in securing the sisters IMO. Can you imagine a line of Hall Yakupov Galchenyuk??? Could anyone catch them??? Then you make an offer to Schultz that he can't refuse, signing the best NCAA prospect and likely the most NHL ready prospect outside the NHL. What is left ???? Throw Gagner plus a package of Omark etc... to sign a solid D man. We could afford to overpay shortterm with a UFA such as Garrison. The limits are endless provided Tambo has the Cajones.
• In 2010-11, Galchenyuk finished second among Ontario Hockey League rookies with 83 points (31-52--83), behind only his teammate and good friend Nail Yakupov (49-52--101).
•Galchenyuk has elite skills and marries it with a competitive streak that is unrivalled by his peers. In addition to his scoring exploits, as he was the highest scoring 94 in the OHL last season with 83 points in all 68 games, he is an incredibly smart two-way player. He simply hates to lose and his training regime is second to none as he is very committed off ice.

Yeah that quote was a significant part of changing my original views on Yakupov.

Also I think it would take quite a bit to get the second overall pick from the . What would they want? With Nash possibly being moved I'm assuming they'd want experienced/established but young players coming back the other way (or that's what it sounded like at the deadline). With a team like CBJ I doubt management and owners would want to be in the full rebuilding mode (they have trouble with attendance already) so I don't know what we'd send them to get the second overall pick. Gagner + Omark + a young defender like Petry/Smid probably wouldn't land the pick and sending a player like Hall (overpayment) the other way would have the city calling for ST's head similar to Pocklington. Plus whatever package that the Oilers would give up I'm sure if they didn't have the first overall pick again they'd be licking their chops waiting to draft Ryan Murray.

Don't get me wrong but I would love Galy on our team especially with Yakupov but whatever we'd give up to get the pick, would probably be too much of a risk unless it's somewhere after the fifth overall selection.

As for Schultz, I read that (from a post on Lowetide), under the current CBA he can only sign for 2-3years as an RFA (I'm not 100% sure about this) but what was clear is that he can only sign for a maximum of $850,000 (or some number like that) due to where/when he was drafted. So essentially it's his decision where he wants to go. Edmonton seems like a good choice though because he'd probably get a lot of playing time and we are developing a good young core and it's close to home for him. Although I've also head he was good friends with Jake Gardiner when they played together so he may go play for the Laughs too. It's tough to say but I'd love this kid on our depth chart for defense.

Draft Yakupov use our strong young core to entice Schultz and then lure in other UFA's and dream we can land a player like Suter.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 pm
We wouldn't need second overall pick to get Galchenyuk (Grigo will go before him, at the very least). It would be nice to have another pick in the top 5 though.

However, I can tell you from what I've seen of Galchenyuk.. we want him. He's strong on the puck and has a crazyyyy good shot. He's high flying, and exciting as hell to watch power forward. Him and Nail are a hell of a duo. Oh man, would I ever love to have both.

We'd have two solid young lines that can play some damn good hockey:

Hartikainen(?) Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
Hall Galchenyuk Yakupov

Hartikainen seemed to play well with Nuge and Eberle, so I just threw him there for now. Galchenyuk is listed as a C, btw, but I think he's actually a winger though (TSN seems to call him a winger and a centre in the same breath).. so maybe this doesn't work. But we could adjust the lines accordingly.

Those lines I would say would make Gagner move-able. Although it might not be immediate, as Galchenyuk shouldn't just jump into the NHL. I'd say he absolutely has to play in Junior some more, especially having missed almost an entire year.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:28 pm
I think any attempt to get another top5 pick this year involves trading our 1st next year + probably someone like Gagner or MPS it will need an overpay for sure.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 pm
zackman35 wrote:
As for Schultz, I read that (from a post on Lowetide), under the current CBA he can only sign for 2-3years as an RFA (I'm not 100% sure about this) but what was clear is that he can only sign for a maximum of $850,000 (or some number like that) due to where/when he was drafted. So essentially it's his decision where he wants to go. Edmonton seems like a good choice though because he'd probably get a lot of playing time and we are developing a good young core and it's close to home for him. Although I've also head he was good friends with Jake Gardiner when they played together so he may go play for the Laughs too. It's tough to say but I'd love this kid on our depth chart for defense.

Draft Yakupov use our strong young core to entice Schultz and then lure in other UFA's and dream we can land a player like Suter.

These are pretty much the exact sugarplums that have been dancing in my head. :D
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:16 pm
My pipedream.

Mega trade: Hemsky, Gagner and Peckham to Montreal for the third overall pick, Alexei Emelin and a third rounder, With that pick select Galchenyuk.

Sell Shane Doan on finishing his career close to his roots, where he should have been drafted in the first place and a chance of winning the cup with an up and coming contender, hopefully for a three year deal at a good price.

Sign Ryan Suter, Josh Harding and Justin Schultz, with the above noted sales pitch.

The 2012-13 Edmonton Oilers

Hall Nuge Ebs
PRV Galchenyuk Yakupov
Smyth Horcoff Doan
Eager Lander Jones

Suter Petry
Whitney Smid
Schultz Schultz
Emelin

Harding
Dubnyk

ahhh, good ol' pipe dreams.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:22 pm
I'll add one more pipe dream... and first of all... LOL @ Schultz and Schultz. Excellent.

Anyways, the pipe dream is a guy to play right side with Suter. I'd prefer to keep Smid and Petry together since they've been gold, and Smid can't (or won't, I should say) play the right side either. So Whitney and Smid pairing is difficult, since both want to play LHD.

I'd actually move Whitney (something I've been wanting to do for a while... although I think he could gain his form again.

As far as who our big minute RHD would be, I don't know.

Suter ????
Smid Petry
Schultz Schultz

Works for me. I guess we also lose one of Sutton / Potter in that too somewhere along the line.

Here's where Steve-O points out we once had a good RHD... :P

Hmmm... Suter Petry does also sound nice though, for real.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:13 pm
There is sure been a lot of talk about the Oilers trading the first pick but the last few minutes of this interview by Gregor with Lowe puts some rumors at ease.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/thenationnetwor ... ment06.mp3

"I'd be shocked if anyone stepped up and offered what we feel would be good enough for us to not take that player." - Kevin Lowe

Want to see the true meaning of "Fail for Nail"? Take a look here...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1160999
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:54 pm
Oh wowwww... I seriously couldn't read much of that post. Puts some of the trade suggestions we make in Oil-land into perspective. Are we that stupid too? Probably. :lol:

Yah guys, cause we really want Joffrey Lupul back....
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:43 am
Agree that those trades are retarded. Nail was happy we won the lottery, don't think he was too keen on playing in Columbus.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/04/16/j ... -an-oilers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 pm
HF boards has a pretty high level of retardation.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:26 am
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... op-player/
Interesting. I wonder if they like Murray better because they see him as little or low risk. Maybe he is making it look like they want Murray so they can trade down with Columbus. Interesting.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:58 pm
Mi hope they are just scouting to justify Yakupov as the first pick, I can't really see Stu passing up on a guy like Yakupov he's on par with Hall and I've heard Stamkos for putting up points. I think having Yakupov on te roster for a year you could trade and get more out of the trade than you would if you were to trade down at the draft. I'm no expert and I'm not saying trade Yakupov but with everything I've read and the hilights I've seen you don't trade that type of player away, especially with his ceiling. It's all up to Stu an it's seems every year when I go with my gut I've been on the other side of the fence (Seguin/Landeskog-Larsson-Couturier) - thank goodness Stu is picking but I just can't see a team passing on Yakupov.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:40 pm
zackman35 wrote:Mi hope they are just scouting to justify Yakupov as the first pick, I can't really see Stu passing up on a guy like Yakupov he's on par with Hall and I've heard Stamkos for putting up points. I think having Yakupov on te roster for a year you could trade and get more out of the trade than you would if you were to trade down at the draft. I'm no expert and I'm not saying trade Yakupov but with everything I've read and the hilights I've seen you don't trade that type of player away, especially with his ceiling. It's all up to Stu an it's seems every year when I go with my gut I've been on the other side of the fence (Seguin/Landeskog-Larsson-Couturier) - thank goodness Stu is picking but I just can't see a team passing on Yakupov.

Agreed. He is too much talent to pass up and pick a guy who will likely be the next Gilbert.
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:09 am
For the record Chucker, I did not read your article posted and assumed it was about the hot topic of the Murray and Yalupov draft ordeal. As well as I ripped through my post on an iPhone while working on prepping supper so I apologize for all the spelling and grammar errors!
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:05 pm
zackman35 wrote:For the record Chucker, I did not read your article posted and assumed it was about the hot topic of the Murray and Yalupov draft ordeal. As well as I ripped through my post on an iPhone while working on prepping supper so I apologize for all the spelling and grammar errors!

It was. I too have been frustrated with ispell. A pretty weak program. :lol:
Next

Return to Edmonton Oilers