[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Nail Yakupov 2012 Draft

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:24 pm
Racki wrote:Dropit: I figured you'd be pretty positive about it. You're right that later in the draft, things can be a crap shoot. It's clear they had their eye on someone specific. And we all know that in any draft, there are always gems scattered throughout the later rounds.. so I am not saying it was a bad decision. I just was really surprised that they passed on some good available players, never mind that they dropped down. Time will tell with any draft pick though.

The way I look at it, the Flames are criticized for taking the safe picks, and they have been for many years. They needed to roll the dice and aim high. I wouldnt say I am necessarily positive on it, but im not negative either. This could go one of 2 ways.

It could be the year the Calgary made a huge blunder and traded down in the draft when players like Maata and Tervainen left on the board to take some kid playing in a weaker league in a year when they really needed to add some depth to their cupboards.

Or, it could be the year the Calgary threw caution to the wind and took the guy they thought looked like a diamond in the rough star and it worked out for them. They found that one kid in the 2nd round who always makes people wonder how the hell he wasnt a top 10 pick, ala Loui Eriksson. Time will tell
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:32 pm
I was kind of astounded when I heard Feaster said the turning point of their draft selection was after one viewing, by one of his scouts, of this kid in a lower tier level college game. He's extremely young and looks like a bean pole (even more so than RNH did), I wonder what they see in him. Apparently Red Line Report was fairly impressed with this kid but off the board to say the very least.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:02 pm
zackman35 wrote:I was kind of astounded when I heard Feaster said the turning point of their draft selection was after one viewing, by one of his scouts, of this kid in a lower tier level college game. He's extremely young and looks like a bean pole (even more so than RNH did), I wonder what they see in him. Apparently Red Line Report was fairly impressed with this kid but off the board to say the very least.

To be fair, they did continue to scout him and Wisebrod and Co. said they watched upwards of 20 + games that Jank played in afterwards which made their decision easier.
He does look quite scrawny (still bigger then RNH was when he was drafted), but for a kid that was 5'6 only 18 months ago, im not shocked that he hasn't filled in his frame yet.

What they see in him, in my opinion, is a high end talent that may or may not have the chops to cut it in the NHL. He is getting a tonne of comparisons to players like John Lecalaire and Jason Spezza if he can hit his potential. Calgary needs top end players like that instead of average NHL plugs, which at this time we have alot of in the organization.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:18 pm
I had no idea he was 6'3.. that definitely doesn't hurt. But yah, he looked like a 14 year old beanpole. When he fills out, things can change. Still seems like a strange choice, given the league he plays in and such.. but who knows. It's off the board, but you just never know. It could work out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:28 pm
Racki wrote:I had no idea he was 6'3.. that definitely doesn't hurt. But yah, he looked like a 14 year old beanpole. When he fills out, things can change. Still seems like a strange choice, given the league he plays in and such.. but who knows. It's off the board, but you just never know. It could work out.

Yeah, that will be the determining point. When he makes the jump to the next level is when we really see where this kid stacks up. It will take a while for fans to see that as he just committed to a known underwhelming Providence school, so it will be quite difficult to judge how he stacks up.
I immediately thought this was a red flag on his willingness to compete at the top level, but from what I have read he was passed up in drafts because at the time he was a 5'6" midget.

As usual, im more and more intrigued at this pick the more i read about it, and I am really glad they decided to trade down to make this picka dn get themselves a 2nd rounder in the process
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:01 pm
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... nhl-draft/

Interesting breakdown by Willis.
Previous

Return to Edmonton Oilers