[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Vancouver's cap situation next year

Talk about other NHL teams
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:50 am
First off $8.9m in cap space to sign 8 players :lol:

secondly the players they are going to be needing to replace.

Raymond 2nd line wing for them
Malhotra was an elite 3rd line checking center for them
Edler top 4 D for them with the rest of their D core making $4.5m plus it's hard to see him taking under 4.

and then 2 more D and another 3 Forwards.

Now they do have 2 buyouts to use.

Ballard $4.2m which would pay for Edler, but would still leave them with the same number of players to resign with the money at the top.

There isn't really an option for the other one except Luongo

Realisticly the Canucks have to move Luongo before the trade deadline. that $5.33m is going to kill them in the summer, trading Loungo would add roughly $4m in cap space if you give a backup around $1.25m

13m to sign 8 players still isn't great but it makes life a lot easier for them.

to give a little perspective the Oilers have 15m for 7 players. but have an 8m bonus cushion they can take advantage of and 5.5m they could create in space by buying out Horcoff.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:31 am
Edler has just been signed at 5m per over 6 years.

4 million to sign 7 players.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:12 am
Yikes. Maybe they have some sort of buyout planned at the end of the year (no idea who, just throwing the idea out). And from what I see it's 4 million for 6 players, no? Capgeek shows them at 14 bodies signed for next year. Unless you're including Luongo being moved, but I wouldn't. Damn these guys have an expensive blue line.

The Oilers have to watch and learn from this, BTW and be careful not to get into that situation.
Coach
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 am
Alan-NottsUK wrote:Edler has just been signed at 5m per over 6 years.

4 million to sign 7 players.

Edler's deal where it should be, a fair price. Their problem is that they've taken on (or given) deals that are slightly overpriced across the board: Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, Ballard, Booth all make more than they should. Not outrageously overpaid, but just enough so it makes things difficult. That's pretty much the status of the post-cup run Oilers, where players consistently made a million/million and a half too much. It's harder to get out of that than if you've got that one Gomez or Redden that can be shed altogether.

Sucks for them, which is nice for everyone else.

Glad they didn't go entirely overboard with mah boy Edler though. Hope he proves worth the raise. (And Burrows too, that douche).
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:38 pm
Philadelphia currently shows on Capgeek as nearly $1M over cap. Not sure if bonuses will alleviate some of the cap space or what there though, as that part always confused me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:40 pm
They will be forced to downgrade if they cannot find a suitor for Luongo |(which i hope they cannot). However I think they do have a bit of an under rated prospect group that can step in and allow them to remain a competitive (regular season) team.

Kevin Connauton looks like he could step into a defensive spot that will likely be opened up by Alberts moving on
Mike Duco can fill in on any 4th line role left vacated by Ebbet or Volpatti
Niklas Jensen could certainly be NHL ready next year and take Maxim Lapierre's roster spot.
Billy Sweatt could be a darkhorse player who has a very similar style to Mason Raymond

I could be completely wrong and would love for all these losers to bust out, along with Kesler and his over rated play
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 pm
Racki wrote:Philadelphia currently shows on Capgeek as nearly $1M over cap. Not sure if bonuses will alleviate some of the cap space or what there though, as that part always confused me.

They just waived Boucher and Lilja yesterday. Lu?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:37 pm
Racki wrote:Philadelphia currently shows on Capgeek as nearly $1M over cap. Not sure if bonuses will alleviate some of the cap space or what there though, as that part always confused me.

pronger?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 pm
I think they may have Pronger on Long term IR but seeing as he's out for over a year but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:47 pm
Yah Pronger wouldn't count to the cap hit of course, and is on LTIR. That might have been it. I can't really confirm that this was what it was though, cause that was like 3 weeks ago.

Return to Other NHL Talk