[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

The Fall of the Flames

Talk about other NHL teams
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:39 am
Is it just me or does the current state of our neighbors to the south seem highly reminiscent of where our Oilers were about four to five years ago? I think this could be quite an interesting topic, mostly because we get to watch the demise of the Flames and karma will come full circle to those Flames fans who have mocked us for "wandering the dessert". Anyways lets take a quick look at thier depth chart (The Hockey News):

LW
Curtis Glencross
Michael Cammalleri
Sven Baertschi
Lance Bouma

C
Mikael Backlund
Matt Stajan
Sean Monahan
T.J. Galiardi

RW
David Jones
Lee Stempniak
Jiri Hudler
Tim Jackman

D
Dennis Wideman
Mark Giordano
T.J. Brodie
Kris Russell
Shane O'Brien
Chris Butler

G
Karri Ramo
Joey MacDonald

Notable prospects:
Sean Monahan, Center
Sven Baertschi, Left Wing
Johnny Gaudreau, Left Wing
Mark Jankowski, Center
Laurent Brossoit, Goalie

Their current lineup, in my opinion, doesn't contain any current top tier talent and will probably take a couple seasons for players like Monahan and Baertschi to truly make an impact. As for their goaltending situation, well I think you can see for yourself. I really think what Calgary needs to do here is start by overhauling their scouting department and I hate to say it but I think it was smart of them to add Burke (Mr. Rebuild) to the front office, that's a good start. From there I think they will be looking to offload players like Cammalleri, Glencross (maybe) and Wideman at the deadline for futures (pics or decent prospects). I truly see Calgary in pursuit of a top three pick this year and the next year or two for that matter. I think it would be a safe bet to say that they'll be in the hunt for another Reinhart brother or Aaron Ekblad at the draft this year.

When they named Giordano captain, I saw shades of when the day the Oilers named Moreau captain. I don't know why, I don't follow the Flames too closely but that's what was running through my head for some reason. Anyways what say you? It's be nice to get some feedback from the Flames perspective. Cough...cough.. Dropit (if you're still around somewhere).
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 am
I will say Burke had it easy when Cliff "the axe murderer" Fletcher did the heavy lifting.. Removing all the dead weight... But anyways...

The Flames are definitely in a state of shit. I'd say oilers circa 2008. They do have some good prospects in the bank now though. Baertschi is a very talented kid and most of us believe Monahan to be a solid talent . The oil kings had a brief taste of post-Brossoit life as well. All in all of day, some good up and comers, but the NHL team is dog shit, much like the Oilers were for years. So plan for some more high picks, Calgary.. But one day the BoA will return.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:26 pm
This poor version of the Flames is a better off team than the 2008 Oilers. Don't get me wrong, they are not good but I do believe they will be better than most people believe finishing in the bottom 5-10 positions of the league. They remind me a lot of the Ottawa team from the year they finished in that area and picked up Zibanejad. The reason for this is they actually have a group of veteran NHL players that will keep this team more competitive moreso than the Horcoff's of the 2008 Oilers. Difference being that their veterans still produce comparitive to their skill level whereas the Oilers were forced to employ god knows what in the top 6 with Hemsky. They also seem to have a lot more in their cupboards when it comes to developing prospects than when the Oilers decided to do their scorched earth policy on the team and frankly I think it has hurt the current state of the oilers with a lack of veterans to do some heavy lifting while players develop. So yes I do think they are most definately in a state of suck, I just dont believe it will be for as long or as bad as most people seem to think.

Return to Other NHL Talk