[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Wade Belak found dead in Toronto Hotel room

Talk about other NHL teams
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 pm
Just saw it on the news. No details.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374888

Global as per Kevin Karius saying apparent suicide....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:15 pm
This is happening way, waaay too often recently.

It seems like we have created a situation where athletes are unable to lead fulfulling lives or something... I mean it could be a coincidence, but there have been so many recently.

I mean, Boogard, Rypien, now Belak... so many young lives ended too soon. While he hasn't turned up dead, I know that Brashear as well has more than his share of demons as well. Then you add on a guy like Tootoo's noted off ice problems, and you start to see a pattern real quickly.

Starts to make you a touch concerned for a guy like MacIntyre, who may or may not have an NHL job right away here.

:/
"You either drop sweat today, or tears tomorrow." - SlayerS'MMA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:33 pm
I would chalk up Tootoo's problems to where he comes from to be honest. 80% or more rate of substance abuse there, but it's definitley raising a lot of alarm bells. What's worse is that they are all described as great guys and would do anything for their team mates. Belak could have made a living as a comedian he was so colourful. There will be some hard questions asked and answers demanded me thinks.

This from Canoe: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2 ... 25246.html Suicide it is.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:07 pm
I don't know anything about Belak's struggles but I think our culture has a serious problem when it comes to attitudes toward mental health. There are still a lot of misconceptions and assumptions about depression that cause an atmosphere of shame for people suffering from it. This is personal, but I've had chronic depression for a long time, and people have actually said things to me like "I don't accept depression as an excuse" and "You're just a negative person/ If you just think positively your life will be better" when I've confided in them about it. Neither could be further from the truth. People think they can't tell anyone about it for fear of being labeled crazy (or otherwise) and that they are weak for seeking help or weak for not being able to "control it" on their own. It has to contribute to these poor young men feeling like they have nowhere to turn. A member of my family committed suicide a few months back...this is happening too often and I think as a society we have to re-examine the way we treat people who face these sort of intense struggles.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm
hemmerlady wrote:I don't know anything about Belak's struggles but I think our culture has a serious problem when it comes to attitudes toward mental health. There are still a lot of misconceptions and assumptions about depression that cause an atmosphere of shame for people suffering from it. This is personal, but I've had chronic depression for a long time, and people have actually said things to me like "I don't accept depression as an excuse" and "You're just a negative person/ If you just think positively your life will be better" when I've confided in them about it. Neither could be further from the truth. People think they can't tell anyone about it for fear of being labeled crazy (or otherwise) and that they are weak for seeking help or weak for not being able to "control it" on their own. It has to contribute to these poor young men feeling like they have nowhere to turn. A member of my family committed suicide a few months back...this is happening too often and I think as a society we have to re-examine the way we treat people who face these sort of intense struggles.

Bravo! My family has a lot of mental health issues/history as well. I've seen it first hand and it's the stigma and ignorance of people like you described are all too common. They are so ignorant of the truth and it's very hard to deal with those people.

One thing I do know is this; When I played, A LOT of guys used steroids. Belak and enforcers were always the guys who used the most. If I had to bet my last dollar on it, I'd bet he used. I've always thought he did over the years. The mood swings that can happen in a high stress situation from that are similar to a bi-polar personality. Again, just speculation on my part, but I would not at all be surprised. Add in the fact that your career is done and the stresses of looking at a real world type job and the NHL does these guys no justice.

Again, it all goes back to the need for an audit on their treatment and aftercare programs.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 pm
Tragic... especially to hear that he committed suicide. Hate to know that a person was that far gone that he couldn't handle life. And yet again, his family heard it from the media. Awful.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 pm
Racki wrote:And yet again, his family heard it from the media. Awful.

Really?? Don't the police have to contact the family before they can confirm someone has died? What a horrible way to find out something so devastating...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:32 pm
hemmerlady wrote:

Really?? Don't the police have to contact the family before they can confirm someone has died? What a horrible way to find out something so devastating...

Police scanners and the Twitterverse......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:08 am
chucker wrote:
hemmerlady wrote:

Police scanners and the Twitterverse......

lame...I think I'm going to be the last person on earth to get a smartphone/iphone/blackberry/android/spreading news that's not really my business device, and I don't know how sad I feel about that. (Aw I'm off contract next month anyway, I'll probably end up getting sucked in)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:18 pm
It's a real eye opener when you hear people saying how they looked like they were happy and looking forward to the future. It's so easy to figure people are just okay all the time and you never know what's really going on underneath.

It's heartbreaking, to say the least.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:47 pm
Yah, exactly, Otto. I don't know how many people saw this coming.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:27 am
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/20 ... 1-qmi.html
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:34 am
If you guys hadn't heard yet, a couple of days ago Mark Seidel (?) was saying something like "I can't say anything about it, but in the future people will look at his death as a tragic accident not a suicide" or something like that. I kind of wonder what would make a guy who has young kids kill himself. So will have to wait and see what it was that really happened if it wasn't suicide.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:17 pm
Racki wrote:If you guys hadn't heard yet, a couple of days ago Mark Seidel (?) was saying something like "I can't say anything about it, but in the future people will look at his death as a tragic accident not a suicide" or something like that. I kind of wonder what would make a guy who has young kids kill himself. So will have to wait and see what it was that really happened if it wasn't suicide.

The family has saidvthat he has been dealing with depression for four years. Maybe it was a tragic mix of meds and alcohol, but I can't say as that is just speculation. Very sad no matter how it happened.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:13 pm
chucker wrote:http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2011/09/03/18638781-qmi.html

Interesting. I think it's noble what Domi is trying to do, to get the message out there to get people to talk about depression. However, I don't agree with the description he makes of depression: "It's a negative state of mind". It's not about negative or positive, and I don't like the implication that a person is in charge of their brain chemistry (i.e. how the particular chemicals and neurons in a particular person's brain works). They're not. It's hereditary in most cases, and can be caused or triggered by a traumatic event.

This particular brain chemistry can cause many things, including hopelessness, despair, lack of motivation, sleep disturbances, oversleeping, poor appetite or overeating, fatigue, reduced sex drive, and other physiological or psychological changes. Saying "look at the bright side" to a depressed person is totally off the mark. It's a good thing to be grateful for what you have, but that doesn't change how your brain is put together.

Domi's heart is in the right place. He's sad, hurt, and angry that his friend didn't come to him for help. If it was indeed a suicide, it's probable that Belak wasn't able to talk to anyone about it, or didn't know how. It's hard to describe, but your thought process is totally altered when you're severely depressed. I think the social climate needs to be welcoming to people who have mental illness or other struggles, so that they feel that they are able to talk to others about it. That's what we need to change. We don't need to tell people who are depressed that they "should" do this or that, but that there's nothing wrong with the person that they are and nothing wrong with seeking help. It should be treated like any other physical condition. If you have a heart problem, you go to a cardiologist and get treatment. It's not your fault you have a heart problem, you just do, and you can't just wish it away.

Sorry for being on a soapbox. This is my $0.02.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:12 pm
I completely agree HL. people are simply uneducated about what mental illness truly is. I, like you, know what it is and how it feels. I have dabbled in it for over 12 years. Then the family secrets started coming out. Such a shame. Telling somebody with depression or a mental condition to just change how they think is like telling a diabetic to suck it up and make more insulin. I think he means well (Domi) but still does not come across as a person who truly knows the chemical dynamics and how that changes behavior.

James Cybulski had an interview with Michael Landsberg that was more appropriate. I will see if I can find a link.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:17 pm
http://www.tsn2.ca/radio/

The Landsberg interview with Cybulski is on the right. It is a good interview but it just scratches the surface.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:14 am
http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/7/1/225 ... eles-kings

Just saw this story after skimming the OMB. The NHL has a very major issue to me at this point. I hope Brule can get the proper treatment to get out of this. It also explains the auto-immune rumours. Depression can mimic auto-immune diseases. Poor guy.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:39 pm
Well, good to be able to put a finger on it (twss?) but sucks that he's going through that. Hopefully he can get the proper help.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:59 pm
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2 ... 58976.html

One of the best fighters of all time and a personal favorite. Everyone knew his drug issues. Good to see them gone. I wish him well. YouTube some of his fights. Dud was f'n insane when he fought.
Next

Return to Other NHL Talk