[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Rivalries and Playoffs

Talk about other NHL teams
Coach
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:25 am
And Torres gets 25 games for his hit.

Weber walked. Neal got 1 game? No mention of the Malkin interference.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:54 pm
Neal should have got 5 or so.

Torres 25 games is because it's the 6th time he's been suspended, and 3rd in the last 12 months, all for the same thing. I agree with it
Coach
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:59 pm
Alan-NottsUK wrote:Neal should have got 5 or so.

Torres 25 games is because it's the 6th time he's been suspended, and 3rd in the last 12 months, all for the same thing. I agree with it

It wouldn't be that much of a problem if there was any consistency in the rulings, but they're rather arbitrary across the league.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:22 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:I suspect one would have quite a strong case for arguing that the star players get off much easier than the grinders when it comes to suspensions.

Although Hossa's my guy in the FHL and I hate to see him injured, I don't think the Torres hit was all that bad. It was possibly charging, but he didn't actually leave his feet, it might have been a little bit late, but I don't think it was as ugly as many will have it. Weber's mortal kombat move on Zetterberg, Neal's interference on Cotourier or Malkin's hit on Cotourier last night were all worse than the Torres hit. The latter three were all outside of the play, and/or targeting the head. Little is made of it by the league.

I agree completely that the star players seem to be getting off with hardly anything, and I think the Weber hit was really dangerous. It should have been a suspension. The Neal hit was similar to the Torres hit, so it should be punishable in the same way - and Neal is a repeat offender. Not even close to the degree that Torres has though. One game was not enough.

But I have to disagree with you in a big way about gravity of the Torres hit. If you watch the video, he did leave his feet, and he targeted the head, with an elbow. That's so dangerous. I hate hits to the head and I don't think hits like this should be a part of hockey. If you weigh it against the potential consequences, I don't think it's worth it. I'd rather see Hossa dekeing a defenseman than laying on a stretcher unconscious. Hitting is part of the game, okay, but the head contains the most important organ in the human body, without which nothing else can work. I don't think you should mess around with that.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm
Goodbye Vancouver! Still two sisters, no cup!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:50 pm
dawgtoy wrote:Goodbye Vancouver! Still two sisters, no cup!!!

I know NHL teams and rosters are usually quite dynamic but I think this could be the start of a big shift in Vancouver. Until someone pointed it out to me today I never realized that both the sisters are getting up there in age (32 this year). In three years what's this team going to look like? I'm not a fan of the Nuckleheads at all but Luongo has very impressive numbers in the regular season, I wonder if Vancouver will move him with his sub-par playoff performances?

Could you imagine a huge blockbuster of Luongo for Nash?! Doubt it would happen but I assume shit hit the fan in Vancouver and the rumours will run rampant. Prepare for the AV to Montreal talk/Luongo to Toronto for Kadri + 3rd Round Pick proposals.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 am
No doubt the CanSucks have to find a new home for Luongo. They can't afford to lose Schneider, he's a beauty and they'd be nuts not to keep him. They'll need to take what they can get as his contract is brutal. Wow, the sisters are getting old. No secondary scoring cost them this year. Kesler was invisible.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:38 pm
zackman35 wrote:
I know NHL teams and rosters are usually quite dynamic but I think this could be the start of a big shift in Vancouver. Until someone pointed it out to me today I never realized that both the sisters are getting up there in age (32 this year). In three years what's this team going to look like? I'm not a fan of the Nuckleheads at all but Luongo has very impressive numbers in the regular season, I wonder if Vancouver will move him with his sub-par playoff performances?

There is widespread speculation across the city today about the team's makeup. I don't know if the concern is so much that Luongo should be moved because of his irregular playoff performance, but that he will WANT to be moved because he won't want to share the spotlight with Schneider. Everyone seems to have a lot more confidence in Schneider, and the consensus seems to be that the team also plays better in front of him. I wonder if things would be different if he had more of the lion's share of the games - though his reg season record was better than Luongo's, he only started 33 games. That said, I personally think Schneider is a more solid, dependable, less whiny netminder and he could easily be a starter. The question is, who will want to take on the Albatross of Louie's contract.

You know, I'm really relieved about their early exit, but I actually feel sorry for the team. How embarrassing. I don't feel sorry for the fans though, that's what you get for acting like you already won the thing.

Geez, the Hawks just lost... for eff sakes. There was a questionable 5 minute major called with about 10 mins to go in the 3rd, when they were already down 2-0. Quenneville hasn't done his presser yet but methinks he might get fined again...
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:25 am
In-Kreider -ble

this kid is looking good for the rangers; 2 goals, 2 game winners. It's still early but I see a John Leclair type player. Not as stong but a better skater.

Whoever owns him in the FHL must be happy ..... ;)
GM of the Beijing Dragons
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:24 pm
Chris Kreider showed in the 2010 WJHC's that he was a player. He was one of the Americans' best players (at age 18) in the tourney.. and well, they went on to win gold. I remember his name being brought up many a time in that tourney too. He looked quite good then, so his recent success with the Rangers comes with little surprise.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:45 pm
Just thought I should have this video in this thread.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K8wsd_mEvE0& ... ed%20Wings

This song gets me every time.
Previous

Return to Other NHL Talk