[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Luongo asks for trade.

Talk about other NHL teams
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:03 am
Nick Kypreos ‏ @RealKyper
#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out

Contract:
12/13 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
13/14 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
14/15 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
15/16 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
16/17 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
17/18 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
18/19 Salary 3.4 Cap hit 5.3 (aged 40)
19/20 Salary 1.6 Cap hit 5.3
20/21 Salary 1.0 Cap hit 5.3
21/22 Salary 1.0 Cap hit 5.3

Teams who need a starting goalie long term:
Chicago, Columbus, Edmonton, Florida, New Jersey, Tampa Bay & Toronto

Columbus, Florida & New Jersey are out, due to actual salary.

That leaves Chicago, Edmonton & Toronto as teams who could afford the contract.

Edmonton has got rid of pretty much all long term contracts, most contracts end when Hall and Eberle's ELC are up. Too long and at too high a cap hit.

Which leaves Chicago and Toronto who can afford him in terms of cap and actual dollar, if the cap increases, if the cap stays as it is, or doesn't rise much, then neither of these teams can take him.

That leaves Vancouver in a situation where they are either taking back either a big cap hit, or a big salary. He is still a good goaltender, but his contract heavily effects his value to other teams and it's in a variety of different ways.

Cap floor teams, too much real dollars.
Cap ceiling teams, too large a cap hit.
Rebuilding teams too long a term.

Where would that leave his value, and where does he go?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:49 pm
I wouldn't touch Luongo and his albatross contract with a ten foot pole. No thanks! I can't imagine a team trading for that contract. He'll likely want to go back closer to the southern states (Florida,Tampa etc...). This would be the biggest mistake the Oilers could make IMO. I'll take Dubby and Rehabby over him any day.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:17 pm
Really.
Last I heard, he said he'd waive the NTC if he was asked to. This is an interesting turn of events. My guess is he's had enough of the (way too much) pressure and blame from the fan base & media here... I think no other goalie in the league with a President's Trophy-winning record would take as much crap as he does. Though in the playoffs, I can see that the fans have some legit complaints.

I can't see who'd take on his contract either...maybe Toronto will make another dumb move. Sounds like something they'd do.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:56 am
Burke hates those cap circumventing contracts. He said it's the reason he didn't try and trade for carter from philly last off season.

something i'd forgotten about. Burke and his morals.
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:09 am
Alan-NottsUK wrote:Burke hates those cap circumventing contracts. He said it's the reason he didn't try and trade for carter from philly last off season.

Burke and his morals, indeed.

The same morals that made him chastise Lowe for signing Penner to a 4.25M deal, because it was ruining the league with inflated contracts, whilst turning around and signing Grabovski to a 5.5M. Grabovski, who has yet to crack 60 points in the NHL.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am
Home is where the heart is and doesn't his wife/family live in Florida still?

I bet Dale Tallon can get Luongo back on the Panthers. I'm not the biggest fan of him but he has put up really impressive numbers. I think he'll like what Tallon has cookin' down in Florida and would really enjoy waiving his clause to head back there. The Cats' have been turned around, and fast.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:29 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:
Alan-NottsUK wrote:Burke hates those cap circumventing contracts. He said it's the reason he didn't try and trade for carter from philly last off season.

Burke and his morals, indeed.

The same morals that made him chastise Lowe for signing Penner to a 4.25M deal, because it was ruining the league with inflated contracts, whilst turning around and signing Grabovski to a 5.5M. Grabovski, who has yet to crack 60 points in the NHL.

Burke is full of shit. He has morals when they benefit him.

I can see a team picking him up. It better not be the Oilers though.

Return to Other NHL Talk