[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Flames Trade and Sign Dennis Wideman

Talk about other NHL teams

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:53 pm
Flames trade Jordan Henry and a 5th round pick to trade for the rights and sign Dennis Wideman to a 5 year, 5.25 million dollar contract.

Price seems a bit steep to me, I would have though about 4.8-ish for Wideman, but I guess that is what comes of a UFA player in the market nowadays. Interesting, aggresive move to say the least.,
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:31 pm
I am choked. I have Dennis Wideman in the FHL Keeper, and I don't have much faith he's a high-flying offense guy worth 5+ on the Flames (sorry to say).

But I do think he's a good defenseman, and helps the Flames out.. so that also pisses me off. lol

Although they're likely to lose JBo by the sounds of things.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:13 am
Is the talk of a NMC on the contract true?
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:04 am
Nothing on Capgeek about that yet, but they say the contract details aren't official either. So, it's possible. Don't think it would be a good idea with that salary and term.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:56 am
Neilson on 1260 said this morning that there is a NMC in the contract. Does that surprise anyone in Calgary? they only have about 10 NMC on that team.
GM of the Lakers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:53 pm
Haboiler wrote:Neilson on 1260 said this morning that there is a NMC in the contract. Does that surprise anyone in Calgary? they only have about 10 NMC on that team.

There is a salary cap bump reward if you collect 15 or more.

Suck to be you Edmonton, and your trading abilities
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:59 pm
Flames sign Jiri Hudler to a four year deal worth 16 bigguns. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399779

Suddenly I think the Flames will make the playoffs. It's an interesting team to watch right now. Feaster is going for broke that's for sure.

EDIT: Holy crap! They are almost at the cap already. I retract my previous statement. Feaster is going to have to move some guys for this to work. Nobody is taking Stajan in my view. I bet he got a NMC/NTC too. :lol:

Either it works brilliantly of totally flops.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:08 pm
I have Hudler in the pool, and I'm not so sure I like this, but we'll see. Could actually work out really well. But I thought he might go back to Europe, so at least I still have him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:25 pm
chucker wrote:Flames sign Jiri Hudler to a four year deal worth 16 bigguns. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399779

Suddenly I think the Flames will make the playoffs. It's an interesting team to watch right now. Feaster is going for broke that's for sure.

EDIT: Holy crap! They are almost at the cap already. I retract my previous statement. Feaster is going to have to move some guys for this to work. Nobody is taking Stajan in my view. I bet he got a NMC/NTC too. :lol:

:?:

The cap goes up to 70.2 million this season and other then getting Backlund under contract they have a full team iced.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=9

Cap Space: $4,256,668

The Hudler signing, I'm not too sure about. I have a feeling that this could be another Rene Bourque type who plays when he feels like it, and just got his payday. If he could stay at his 40-50 point pace, I'd be ecstatic but I just dont see it.

Time will tell
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:37 pm
dropit wrote:
chucker wrote:Flames sign Jiri Hudler to a four year deal worth 16 bigguns. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399779

:?:

The cap goes up to 70.2 million this season and other then getting Backlund under contract they have a full team iced.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=9

Cap Space: $4,256,668

The Hudler signing, I'm not too sure about. I have a feeling that this could be another Rene Bourque type who plays when he feels like it, and just got his payday. If he could stay at his 40-50 point pace, I'd be ecstatic but I just dont see it.

Time will tell

Well then. It will be interesting to see how he does after leaving a team like Detroit. I expect Jagr to sign as a Flame now. Not kidding.

Actually your numbers are possibly off. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Fr ... 42766.html

The difference is in the bonuses. Plus whatever Backlund gets and Baertschi get. Somebody has to go.
Last edited by chucker on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:49 pm
Can he get 40-50pts without Zetterberg & Filppula on his line, I didn't watch too much Red Wings hockey over the past year, so I'm not sure how much they helped him out on offense, but reading comments from Wings fans leads me to believe they covered him a lot on the defensive side of things.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:05 pm
Im not too sure about the cap situation, and bonuses are usually touchy things. Although you Edmonton fans may know more than I do, as I believe the bonuses are mostly due towards Cervenka on a rookie contract. Never the less, I believe we will be seeing some sort of move coming soon, not sure who but I think Bouwmeester could be on his way out

Im also not sure he can get 40-50 without Zetterberg or Flip on his line, I guess we will just have to wait and see. He will likely be playing along with Glencross and either Cervenka or Backlund, so there is some potential to put up offensive points but he will certainly have to pull his own weight doing it.

I also take some of what Detroit fans say with a grain of salt. I'm sure they turned on him a bit after he rejected an offer and leaving the team much like any fan base would. I'll wait and judge for myself and see if they are truthfull or spitefull
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:06 pm
dropit wrote:Im not too sure about the cap situation, and bonuses are usually touchy things. Although you Edmonton fans may know more than I do, as I believe the bonuses are mostly due towards Cervenka on a rookie contract. Never the less, I believe we will be seeing some sort of move coming soon, not sure who but I think Bouwmeester could be on his way out

Im also not sure he can get 40-50 without Zetterberg or Flip on his line, I guess we will just have to wait and see. He will likely be playing along with Glencross and either Cervenka or Backlund, so there is some potential to put up offensive points but he will certainly have to pull his own weight doing it.

I also take some of what Detroit fans say with a grain of salt. I'm sure they turned on him a bit after he rejected an offer and leaving the team much like any fan base would. I'll wait and judge for myself and see if they are truthfull or spitefull

I always like Hudler from what I have seen of him. Great hands and speed. He palays a similar style to Gagner and Hemsky. He can be very creative. I think it is a really solid signing. He can move up and down as you mentioned.

The reason I picked up Cervenka was because I had heard a rumour that the Flames were going very hard for Jagr. Jagr and Cervenka played on a line together in Omsk and were very prolific. So here's hoping for my FHL team's sake. :lol:

What is the status of Jackman? I love that guy. Tough as nails and very honest. Pots a few too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:04 am
chucker wrote:
dropit wrote:Im not too sure about the cap situation, and bonuses are usually touchy things. Although you Edmonton fans may know more than I do, as I believe the bonuses are mostly due towards Cervenka on a rookie contract. Never the less, I believe we will be seeing some sort of move coming soon, not sure who but I think Bouwmeester could be on his way out

I always like Hudler from what I have seen of him. Great hands and speed. He palays a similar style to Gagner and Hemsky. He can be very creative. I think it is a really solid signing. He can move up and down as you mentioned.

The reason I picked up Cervenka was because I had heard a rumour that the Flames were going very hard for Jagr. Jagr and Cervenka played on a line together in Omsk and were very prolific. So here's hoping for my FHL team's sake. :lol:

What is the status of Jackman? I love that guy. Tough as nails and very honest. Pots a few too.

Sounds like Jagr doesnt want the travel schedule of a Western Conference team, so I wouldnt cross your fingers there. I believe that may be why Calgary went after Hudler when they found out that Jagr wasnt available.

Jackman is still around, signed a contract extension last year. I was actually hoping he would have been let go and allowed Lance Bouma to take over his role as 'energy guy', but they couldnt really afford to lose the fighting aspect of Jackman's game. He should be sitting on a pretty decent 4th line with Blair Jones and Blake Comeau.

Return to Other NHL Talk