[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

All things CBA

Talk about other NHL teams
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:23 am
I think points 3,4,6 and 10 will be argued against by the players.

The HRR split(point 3) wil have to be a gradual reduction before the players will accept it, this impacts points 4 and 10.

With regards to point 6, they'd probably accept the shorted ELC, but fight against the extra year before they get to UFA I'd also expect them to fight to be able longer contracts than the 5 years in the proposal.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:36 pm
I don't see why the NHL would offer a shortened ELC... I mean, I can't see why owners want that. Am I missing something? I presume that's just their concession for the other stuff they are asking for. I am not sure if the NHLPA is for or against that though either, since it doesn't help the loudmouth vets any. So what was the point of that one that I am missing? It's funny, because when rumors first came out, it was thought ELCs would be one year longer.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 pm
I think it's a concession for the other stuff.

Speaking of loudmouth vets.

thecaptainshawnhorcoff - "There’s only so many [NHLPA practice jerseys], The [Oilers] never took mine back in time. I had it from the summer. I said, 'You know what? I’m going to wear this out of spite.' "

If that is actually true and not taken out of context the C should be stripped off his chest. Terrible example to be setting.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:36 pm
I can't say him meaning anything anti-Oiler, so probably just missed context.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:55 pm
Yeah. There is a super long and idiotic thread on HF about this. It was likely him just having some fun and now fans are outraged. Nothing to see here. Just more Horcoff hate.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 am
I'm not taking it as Oiler hate, just the whole I'm spiting the guys that pay me is really petty and not the attitude I'd expect a leader to have.

He could have handled it a lot better.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:58 am
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/10/18/e ... ot-serious

More from Horcoff... this time on their proposals being rejected in record time by the NHL.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:20 am
Apparently the players really suck at math.

the first 2 proposals, eventually might get to 50/50. but if revenues grow the players get a bonus on top of that, so it's not 50/50

The 3rd one 50/50 right away, but all contracts are honoured = 57/43 still, possibly closer to 58/42 or worse depending on how revenues respond to the lockout (already over $150m lost)

And the players are now wondering why public opinion has swung away from them?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 pm
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/1 ... reos-says/

Please, please, please!
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:36 am
The lockout is over... a tentative deal has been reached.

Some details on the blog.
Coach
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:51 am
Racki wrote:The lockout is over... a tentative deal has been reached.

Some details on the blog.

And work begins for us (i.e. you) ;)

:D
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:59 pm
yah, I've been working this past week already, feel like I'm spinning my wheels in mud, but the mud is more motivation than anything, so .. I think I found my motivation.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:10 pm
I posed this question before somewhere.. there will be two amnesty buyouts (apparently). I kind of think that is bullshit, but maybe because I also feel like we have no one to use it on.

The obvious answer is "Horcoff", but I wonder if we even bother to go there now with not much left in his contract. Do you think we do? Do you think we use the other one on anyone else? I don't think we would really have to bother, personally. I don't think there are any obvious bad contracts after this year (aside from possibly Hemsky, which some may feel that way about, but its obvious the Oilers don't).
Coach
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:52 pm
Racki wrote:I posed this question before somewhere.. there will be two amnesty buyouts (apparently). I kind of think that is bullshit, but maybe because I also feel like we have no one to use it on.

The obvious answer is "Horcoff", but I wonder if we even bother to go there now with not much left in his contract. Do you think we do? Do you think we use the other one on anyone else? I don't think we would really have to bother, personally. I don't think there are any obvious bad contracts after this year (aside from possibly Hemsky, which some may feel that way about, but its obvious the Oilers don't).

Nah, no need to alienate a good servant to the club if his contract isn't going to impede us anyway. Had the contract lasted for two-three-four years more I'd think they'd use a buyout, but now...don't see the point. Khabby would be the other one, obviously, but again, the term isn't long enough.

Maybe we'll trade for someone who needs three buyouts and do the dirty work for them (for a fee, naturally)?

General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:26 pm
Actually, NorOil.. if that is possible, that is a good idea. I know they have to do it before the season starts (I understand), but if we did do that, we could probably collect something big. Because we assume all the responsibility with such a move.. cap hits, salary paid, etc... that's no small undertaking, therefore the Oilers would need big compensation.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:32 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:
Racki wrote:I posed this question before somewhere.. there will be two amnesty buyouts (apparently). I kind of think that is bullshit, but maybe because I also feel like we have no one to use it on.

Nah, no need to alienate a good servant to the club if his contract isn't going to impede us anyway. Had the contract lasted for two-three-four years more I'd think they'd use a buyout, but now...don't see the point. Khabby would be the other one, obviously, but again, the term isn't long enough.

Maybe we'll trade for someone who needs three buyouts and do the dirty work for them (for a fee, naturally)?

Wade Redden to the Oilers!!
Coach
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm
Actually, upon closer thought, the buyout amendment might actually be used as a way of "trading" cash - even between teams that have their own 2 buyouts unused. Say Nashville wants to get rid of someone, but do not want to use their own cash to do so, they might be inclined to trade the player and a pick to a team with a sugar daddy, such as the Oilers, for them to pay off the contract.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:Actually, upon closer thought, the buyout amendment might actually be used as a way of "trading" cash - even between teams that have their own 2 buyouts unused. Say Nashville wants to get rid of someone, but do not want to use their own cash to do so, they might be inclined to trade the player and a pick to a team with a sugar daddy, such as the Oilers, for them to pay off the contract.

Yeah. I heard this idea today. A team like the Leafs could trade Komisarek and Franson to the Oil for a pick and a prospect and have Edmonton buyout Komisarek for example.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:30 pm
And in turn the Leafs can donate $100M to us so we can build a new fucking arena finally. :lol:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:45 pm
When the new CBA came out I didn't think much had changed. Travis Zajack signing a 8 year/$46M dollar contract with the Devils confirms this. Ugh....the more I look at that deal the more it reminds me of our Horcoff signing.
PreviousNext

Return to Other NHL Talk