[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

2013 WJHCs

Talk about non-NHL hockey such as Juniors, Euro Leagues, etc.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:26 pm
So, Team Canada just wrapped up a 9-3 win in their first official game of the tourney against Germany.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins stood out for Canada, earning 1 goal and 4 assists, and getting the player of the game award for Team Canada. The German player of the game was Leon Draisaitl, who looked like one of few Germans who were really in the game... so that was well earned on his part. Edmonton prospect Tobias Rieder had the first goal for the Germans on a back-door play on the powerplay. He was left unprotected behind Malcom Subban, and banged a cross-crease pass home on the one-timer. Later in the game, Subban got revenge though.. on a similar play 5-on-5, Rieder was in tight for a cross-crease one timer, and Subban made a remarkable kick save.

Good game all around for the Canadians. Some shakey play here and there, to be expected. The top line of Jonathan Huberdeau, "The Nuge" and Mark Scheifele is also as dangerous as you might expect. Huberdeau and Nugent-Hopkins, in particular, have incredible chemistry together.

Boxscore: http://www.tsn.ca/WORLD_JRS/scores/boxscore/?id=2083059
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:23 pm
There is life! Are you guys going to post GDTs for the WJ's? And I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season!
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:14 pm
So far I've put up a summary post of game 1. I haven't decided whether I want to keep doing post-game summaries, or do GDTs like I used to. These guys do deserve a bit of effort on my part, unlike their NHL counterparts. ;)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:11 am
So depressed about the loss to the US. Jan 2 was my birthday - clearly team Canada did not get the memo. :s

Well I'm staying up to watch the bronze medal game. The Yak hasn't been playing well. Lets hope for HL's sanity that trend continues for this game. And after the tourney he starts tearing it up.

On another note: I hope the greedy bastards (dear both NHL and NHLPA: this means you) get a deal done and so there can be some effing hockey--however, I'm not waiting with bated breath. /cynic
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:13 pm
4th place for Canada. Can't say I'm not disappointed. But I will say though that I'm happy that it's no longer a cakewalk for Canada and expected for us to win a medal (often gold). There is more competition now. Sweden is a big force.. the US (unfortunately gold medal winners) are a big force.. the Russians.. well.. they were about as good as Canada in this one. Scatterbrained. But they were just good enough to take the bronze.

But that said, not one of our best teams at the WJHCs.

Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins with the player of the game awards for this one. Yakupov had two goals (shut up critics?), and Nuge had 1 goal and 4 assists.

P.S. thumbs up to the beauties handing out these awards! *grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowl*
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:34 pm
Goal summary:

Russia 1: Awful, ridiculously bad shot by Khokhlachyov somehow beats Binnington. He sticks the pad out to make the save, but somehow it gets under his pad, and trickles into the net.
Russia 2: (PP) Yakupov gets the puck over to the other side of the ice. The defensemen skates in low. Yakupov sees this, hustles to the side of the net where he gets the back door pass and puts it in.
Canada 1: (PP) Nuge gets a rebound in the slot and wrists it stick side
Russia 3: partial screen, but overly.. point shot down low

*SUBBAN NOW IN*

Canada 2: (PP) Nuge to the point.. shot by Murphy.. rebound on the side of the net is put into yawning cage by Huberdeau
Canada 3: (PP) Nuge feeds a backdoor pass from up near the point right to the slot where Scheifele buries it.
Russia 4: Mozer gets a loose puck and skates in past the hash marks and beats Subban glove side
Canada 4: (PP) Nuge passes it over to Huberdeau who throws it back to Murphy at the point. Murphy blasts a one timer through traffic for the goal.
Russia 5: (PP) Kapustin and Yakupov are behind the net (opposite sides) with Kapustin carrying the puck. They both pop out in front, and Kapustin fires it across to Yakupov who easily redirects it into the net.
Canada 5: Harrington is down low and tries to pull the puck through traffic in front of the net but loses it. Ritchie gets the loose puck and pokes it in

Russia 6: (OT) Nichushkin gets the puck up at the blueline from a pass banked to him. He skates in and blows around Murphy across the front of the net and beats Subban with speed, tucking it just around the right pad.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:56 pm
Tournament all-star team (Selected by media):

Forwards: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (duh) John Gaudreau (USA) Filip Forsberg (SWE)
Defense: Jacob Trouba (USA) Jake McCabe (USA)
Goal: John Gibson (USA)

MVP of the tourney: John Gibson (USA)

John Gibson was absolutely stellar throughout the tournament. Him winning MVP was a no-brainer.

Return to Other Hockey Leagues