[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

OHL mandates soft cap Shoulder and Elbow pads

Talk about non-NHL hockey such as Juniors, Euro Leagues, etc.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 am
http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=374877

This is something I want to see happen in the NHL soon. I have no doubt that it would lead to a safer yet more physical brand of hockey. Look for the rest of the CHL to follow suit shortly!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:41 pm
That is awesome, and agree hopefully it will be one of the things the NHL looks at in the development thing next year
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:48 pm
Great to hear.. hopefully that carries on to their NHL careers. The NHL needs to wise up and follow suit.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:45 pm
Alan-NottsUK wrote:That is awesome, and agree hopefully it will be one of the things the NHL looks at in the development thing next year

Who knows. This is something that could get put through at any point throughout the season in the NHL. If good results come in the OHL then the NHL would be foolish to not put it through ASAP and maybe save a career or two.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm
This is nothing but good news.

Those hard cap Shoulder/Elbow pads kill, if you threw most of them on the pavement it would be more likely that it would crack then the pads.

The other thing is that as much as the hard ones make things hurt less, I'd rather your average play hurt more and the dangerous ones hurt less, then not feeling the pain until you get concussed by a rock hard shoulder pad.

In the very least, nothing bad can come from this... Except maybe a hit to certain companies profit margins, but meh. That isn't really a big deal. Smart companies will just start removing hard shoulder pads from their stocks with the market trend anyway.
"You either drop sweat today, or tears tomorrow." - SlayerS'MMA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:05 pm
They make bullet proof vests, so why not puck proof? :D In all honesty though this is nothing but good news, I can't believe how long its taken though, even at the OHL level. Hopefully a lot of heads from the suits are rolling at the NHL offices, I'm kind of hoping with this bad rep that the NHL is getting that hopefully they will smarten up sometime soon.

Return to Other Hockey Leagues