[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

British hockey

Talk about non-NHL hockey such as Juniors, Euro Leagues, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:46 pm
Elite League season started on saturday.

Not sure how many of you care, but hey I've met quite a few players from Alberta so you guys may actually know some of them :p
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:45 pm
I'm unaware of the British league, when I hear guys sign in Europe I automatically assume it's the Swedish Elite League or KHL. Is there a designated British League? What's it consist of (levels/ages), how is the skill level/fanbase?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:04 am
It's not great in terms of skill level to be honest, but the fanbase seems to be growing which is a good thing.

Ages are from 17-late 30's, we had quite a few ex NHL players come to the league as well, not that many notable ones but the fact a lot of teams offer university education to 'imports' helps get a better quality of player over.

I'll see if I can find some decent quality game footage, but it's kinda hard since games are rarely shown live and we get one crappy highlight show per week

Also unlike most of the other euro leagues we allow fighting here

http://youtu.be/ru_DeHbNmDI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 pm
I heard about a infamous bench clearing brawl last season, i still have yet to see that. And of course Theo Fleury trashing the league after destroying the records in one season during his deamon period. Still me being a big fan of my heritage and british roots i should check it out. Hence my team being from my familys home town in skipton
GM of the Lexington Lugers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:33 pm
Fleury played a season or two in the Brit league I believe.
Last edited by chucker on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:00 pm
he played for belfast a couple of years ago I think it was
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 pm
Panthers won 10-1 tonight against a team that are usually very competitive in the league, kinda pissed off I was at work and not at that game
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:34 pm
rhbdken wrote:I heard about a infamous bench clearing brawl last season, i still have yet to see that. And of course Theo Fleury trashing the league after destroying the records in one season during his deamon period. Still me being a big fan of my heritage and british roots i should check it out. Hence my team being from my familys home town in skipton

British Hockey Hooligans?
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:37 pm
I'd watch it just so when someone scores I'd hear "GOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!"
Special Thanks To Racki For The Signature!
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:41 pm
LOL nice. Goooooaaaaaal! GOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! GOOooooooooooooOOOOAL!

Do they remove the jersey and soccer slide on the ice? :P
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:48 pm
Racki wrote:LOL nice. Goooooaaaaaal! GOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! GOOooooooooooooOOOOAL!

Do they remove the jersey and soccer slide on the ice? :P

You wish! no wait...that's me. If it's Michael Owen or Becks.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:47 am
The bench clearing brawl was the link I posted earlier

Mr.Majestyk wrote:I'd watch it just so when someone scores I'd hear "GOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!"

you need to watch the italian league for that kinda stuff :lol:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:43 am
well i went to my second game of the season here, and I think the NHL is kinda ruining British hockey for me, the skill level I can deal with, but there is one thing with an even bigger difference, and that's the officiating.

5+game for a cross check (the player who got this penalty was being slashed and cross checked for about 5-6 seconds before he threw one back.

5 minutes for fighting, but only to one player, no instigator called, no instigating with a visor called.

Holds and hooks constantly going on without any calls.

And to top it all off, when everything is reaching boiling point and 2 players wanted to drop the gloves the officials all dove in to stop them, keeping tension high for the rest of the period with more slashing and hacking going on.

The second period of the game took longer than most NHL ones and we don't have TV time outs.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:34 am
Well our regular season is done.

Belfest are the league champions
Nottingham are the cup champions

And the 1st round of the playoffs have started, Nottingham lost 3-0 in Braehead the first time they got shutout all season, then won 5-1 in OT here to advance to the finals weekend.

We work aggregate scoring over 2 legs for the 1st round here. Then it's 2 semi finals on a saturday and the final on a sunday in single games, all played in Nottingham.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:35 pm
Nottingham won the playoffs again :D

The closing segment from the TV broadcast.

Also a little late now, but the weekly highlight show was added to youtube each week after it had been shown on TV. So if anyone wants to look back over it it's on the youtube channel this video is on.

There is also a full game on there from just over a year ago.

Return to Other Hockey Leagues