[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Larry Merchant vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

All off-topic discussion goes here.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:55 am
Those of you that aren't fans of boxing or have barely watched any won't understand the title thread and think it's just any old fight. But those of you know a little about boxing know that Larry Merchant is an 80 year old boxing commentator for HBO that frequently goes down to the ring post-fight to interview the fighters. Like the boxers he interviews, he rarely pulls any punches.

This interview came after a controversial knock out win by "Money" Mayweather. In the fourth round vs Victor Ortiz, Ortiz caught Mayweather with a headbutt, and the referee intervened to stop the fight (temporarily). Mayweather says the boxers touched gloves and echoed the pre-fight referee instruction that a boxer should protect themselves at all times. Ortiz says that the referee never told the two combatants to box after the stoppage (a referee when splitting fighters up will yell out "box" or "fight" before they resume). At any rate, after touching gloves (which I'm not sure happened), Mayweather threw a left hook that stunned Ortiz. He started walking back and looking towards the ref while Mayweather loaded up a huge right that dropped Ortiz to the canvas.

Looked to be a pretty cheap shot, to me.

This video will be gone in no time (copyright), so catch it while you can:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3bKEVcyvjk

Anyways, after the "fight", Larry Merchant interviewed Mayweather and was pretty straight up with him. A very funny interview transpired which ended quite comically (well, for fans watching.. not so much for Mayweather):

Merchant: "You were in charge of the fight. You were aggressive, and taking advantage of what.."

Mayweather: "You know what I'm going to do, cause.. you never give me a fair shake, alright, so I am going to do you a favor and let you talk to Victor Ortiz, alright. I'm through. Put somebody else up here and give me an interview."

Merchant, fired up, turned to Mayweather and replied heatedly: "What are you talking about? What are you talking about?"

Mayweather: "You never give me a fair shake! You are shit and HBO should fire you! You don’t know shit about boxing. You ain’t shit! You're not shit!"

Mayweather started to walk away, and Merchant held him on the shoulder and said "I wish I was 50 years younger... I'd kick your ass!!"

Ahhh, HBO got what they wanted out of that one... thanks Floyd.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:50 am
can't stand Mayweather, he's a coward, who needs to man up and fight Manny Pacquiao.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:11 pm
Alan-NottsUK wrote:can't stand Mayweather, he's a coward, who needs to man up and fight Manny Pacquiao.

Larry Merchant is my hero! Love to see Manny kick pretty boy Floyd's ass!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:43 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sPqu7FB ... eos_sports

Something seems very off with this whole process, especially the manager mentioning money and rematch, and the mood of Ortiz.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 pm
zackman35 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sPqu7FBllw&feature=topvideos_sports

Something seems very off with this whole process, especially the manager mentioning money and rematch, and the mood of Ortiz.

That's just how Victor Ortiz is.. he has a very light, relaxed demeanor. As for his manager, I think he was trying to slag Floyd "Money" Mayweather in saying that he basically is all about the money and not so much about the sport or its ethics... perhaps. But I don't think it was any sort of intentional setup controversy, if that's what you mean. I wouldn't put it past boxing at all. But I also wouldn't expect a guy to drop his guard and take two hard shots in the face in order to spur up interest in a rematch, if that's what you were implying...?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 am
I think if Larry Merchant was 50 years younger Floyd would probably knock his ass out.
Special Thanks To Racki For The Signature!
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:48 am
hahah for sure. Larry Merchant even admitted to it after. It was still a funny thing for him to say though.

Return to Off-Topic