[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Job Advice

All off-topic discussion goes here.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:04 am
I have noticed that my local arena's 'ice store' has a managerial vacancy, and obviously they sell hockey gear etc, I have no real issue with basic retail skills or the management side of things as I had run a bar for a few years up untill being held up at knifepoint a few months back which led to me leaving that company.

However as much as I follow hockey etc, my product knowledge isn't as strong as it could be, so I was hoping some of you could offer me advice as to what to look for when it comes down to gear, and the kind of things that I could/should be advising people new to skating/hockey in any form.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:26 pm
That seems like a very broad question... i.e. there is no "look for this" answer for everything. Probably your best bet would be to check the web for some advice sites that say what to look for, since with hockey there is a lot of different gear to consider.

You can't just say "buy CCM" or "buy Bauer" (the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge argument of the hockey world back in the day) anymore.

It'll also vary a bit on age and what level of playing ability a player has to as to what equipment is best. Most of it will come down to best comfort/fit, but yah, the answer will vary from player to player.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:27 pm
yeah, I figured that, so if i search curve profiles for the blade I guess I can find info on what kind of pros and cons they have making me more able to advise new people, where as more experienced players will already know what they like I guess.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:09 pm
Yeah, pretty much.

You have any questions in particular? We may be able to help.
"You either drop sweat today, or tears tomorrow." - SlayerS'MMA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:32 am
well I told them I'd like to speak to them to get more information prior to making a formal application, however I've not heard anything yet, so I was hoping to have more specifics to add to this by now. Still another 6 days before the app has to be in.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 am
Tell them you are in regular contact with Canadian hockey fans. :P
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:25 pm
'a large network of people who can support me with any technical information on equipment' will be the way that is worded haha
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:03 pm
Alan-NottsUK wrote:well I told them I'd like to speak to them to get more information prior to making a formal application, however I've not heard anything yet, so I was hoping to have more specifics to add to this by now. Still another 6 days before the app has to be in.

HR departments are usually slow at getting back to you, make sure to phone and email. Keep on top of things and do not be afraid to double check and get confirmation. If you have not been to many job interviews, search for common questions so your more relaxed and prepared.

Just my advice having recently switched jobs.

Return to Off-Topic