[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

NHL 12

All off-topic discussion goes here.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:32 am
The demo should be out in 2 weeks or so, how many people here play the NHL series and on which console?
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:49 am
I do! I skipped NHL 11 though, which I think must be the first year I've not bought an NHL game. I'll be buying NHL 12 for XBOX 360 this year, for sure.
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:53 am
Xbox360, every year.

Way beyond fed up with the commentators/presentation though. Better give me another set of cutscenes and something less dry for commentary this season :D (And some other things)

Excellent game though. So fun, in fact, that I never play online. I'd go compulsive fast.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:57 am
I used to play it just single player, by myself.. not big online. Then I think for NHL 09 or 10 I played TONNES online and loved it. But you get the odd dipshit that exploits the latest bugs, and it can be frustrating without beating them at their own game (which I learned to do, but didn't like).
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:59 am
Racki wrote:I used to play it just single player, by myself.. not big online. Then I think for NHL 09 or 10 I played TONNES online and loved it. But you get the odd dipshit that exploits the latest bugs, and it can be frustrating without beating them at their own game (which I learned to do, but didn't like).

When I said 'never', I lied. I have had monthly online accounts and played too much for my own good. It's that fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:05 am
i played drop-in games every now and then, got sick of glitch goals in vs
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:11 am
Yah I hear ya there for sure. I got sick of trash talking too, so I just played without a mic, usually. As far as the glitch goals, I either used them back (heavily) or I developed a pretty slick, annoying defense which helped against those goals (i.e. you know it's coming... expect it, and play as though they're going to do something like a slap-pass). Generally, it worked against a lot of those cheater types and it pissed them off. But then you get the odd guy that's way too good at the cheap stuff and you can't do anything about it. I sometimes would just bail on games in those cases.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:42 pm
I don't think I'll be buying NHL 12, I just find the games kind of boring.... I can't play em for more than ten fifteen minutes at a time without it feeling stale.

Starcraft is where it is at...

:P
"You either drop sweat today, or tears tomorrow." - SlayerS'MMA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:31 pm
I have not played hockey on 360, only on the old Xbox system. :(
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:54 pm
iCanada wrote:I don't think I'll be buying NHL 12, I just find the games kind of boring.... I can't play em for more than ten fifteen minutes at a time without it feeling stale.

Giant bugs and stuff? :D

chucker wrote:I have not played hockey on 360, only on the old Xbox system. :(

No zombies. Except for Andy Sutton.

General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:19 pm
Anze kopitar is the zombie leader
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:
iCanada wrote:I don't think I'll be buying NHL 12, I just find the games kind of boring.... I can't play em for more than ten fifteen minutes at a time without it feeling stale.

No no... Terran, Protoss and Zerg. Errr... well I guess it is the same thing. If you've ever played Halo, the entire story from Halo is ripped straight from the original Starcraft. But the staying power is the Multiplayer. And Koreans... I <3 Koreans.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:56 pm
iCanada wrote:
NorwegianOiler wrote:

No no... Terran, Protoss and Zerg. Errr... well I guess it is the same thing. If you've ever played Halo, the entire story from Halo is ripped straight from the original Starcraft. But the staying power is the Multiplayer. And Koreans... I <3 Koreans.

Looks like I'll have to buy it. Too bad I have no money :(
GM of the Wildcats
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:10 pm
since most of you seem to be on 360s feel free to add me on there AlanNFFC1986
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:19 am
So the demo is out, anyone given it a play yet?
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 am
No, Deus Ex came out yesterday, and I'm all over that. But I haven't really been too interested in gaming lately. I will download that this week though for sure.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:26 pm
I've played the demo, it actually feels much less... fluid. Which is surprisingly a good thing. The dump and chase game is suddenly effective, and hitting is much much much more realistic; If you run straight at a guy they will fall down regardless of your hitting stat/their balance stat.

I was testing it out and managed to absolutely obliterate Chara with Samuelsson, as well as Bieksa with Seguin.

Another thing that jumped out at me was that scoring chances at prime locations seemed much less successful, however goaltending seems more realistic. Namely, the Goaltender won't save every shot from a weak angle, yet might make a remarkable save on a stupid good chance. The result makes the game seem much more realistic in that chances are your average shooting percentage will be much closer to 10% no matter how many shots you take... This is a significant improvement as it makes team play much more important, and makes playing like a primadona the same shenanigans it is in real life.

In 2011 it seemed like just throwing the puck on the net would only pad the opposing goaltenders stats. I cannot tell you how many times I played games on maxxed difficulty where shots would be 40-10 in favor of me and i'd still lose.

I also like the changes to BAP mode, mainly that you don't choose your icetime, coach does. Not only that, but you'll occasionally get mandates to do certain things from your coach. From the 15~ games I've played they covered anything from "Go make something happen!", "We need a goal here!", to "Ensure D. Sedin can't get anything done."

I do have some more high hopes for this mode as well, though. Mainly you should be able to start in Junior, and you should actually have "practices" where the game stresses to you what is important for you to actually achieve. While it has never been a problem for me in any previous NHL titles, I have been playing a lot of NBA2k11 and it is ridiculously frustrating to have your grades get slaughtered because of "poor shot selection", "failed to fill lane correctly" or "play the system!" when you aren't exactly sure what IS a good shot selection, how to properly fill a lane, or what kind of system you are playing in general. Even playing NHL 11 you notice at times your expected paths and positioning change depending on how your coach wants your line to play, and you are never really coaxed on when these changes are going to occur... I feel like this would make the mode much easier for outsiders of the sport, and be less frustrating when you change from line 3 to line 2 and suddenly the standard plays youve been doing for 5-10 games be totally useless.

Imagine having a practice before a game against the penguins and having your coach tell you they were changing up the defencsive structure from the more conventional center swing to a leftwing lock in order to confuse the pens star players, while explaining how, why, and what you are to do in graphs. I think that would do wonders in making the mode much much more accessible and realistic... not to say that it would be easy or even possible.

Even things like requesting trades, holding press conferences, or having a training camp would be huge additions to the Be A Pro mode. The frustrating thing is that they have all these features in Madden and their basketball games.

<_<

I take back my previous statement, it is fairly likely I will buy NHL 12. I'm so hooked...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:10 am
you can do a full CHL 'career' in BAP this year
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 am
playing the full version now love it
Coach
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:08 am
Alan-NottsUK wrote:playing the full version now love it

What now? Isn't the release on the 9th in the UK?

Next

Return to Off-Topic