[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

The movie thread.

All off-topic discussion goes here.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 pm
So I just watched The Tousist with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie (?sp?)

I give two kernels of popcorn out of five. The plot is somewhat predictable and both actors have zero chemistry together. Some cool Interpol type stuff. I recommend only if you have nothing else stored on the PVR or are a really big fan of one of the two actors. Some good twists, but still predictable twists.
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 pm
Anyone seen 30 Minutes or Less yet? That'll probably be my next movie. Looks pretty funny and the reviews have been good.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:39 am
Last movie I went to see was Pirates 4, partly because it had scenes filmed in Nottingham.

Not sure if there will be anything worth going to see before the new Batman film comes out next year now (also has scenes filmed here)
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:29 am
Oooooh yes. New Batman should be good. Love Ted Nolan's Batman movies. And by Ted Nolan, I really mean Christopher Nolan. :P

Dark Knight is easily the best Blu-Ray I own. Stunning visuals/sounds in that one. I always play the scene where the Joker and his crew are trying to take out Harvey Dent in that armored vehicle. That long scene is incredible for sound and picture.

Last flick I saw was Cowboys and Aliens, I think. I liked it. Some might not go for it, but it had all the right elements that I was expecting from a movie of that title. :P

Also saw Horrible Bosses with OG77 and her sister.. we all loved it. Very funny movie. Definitely was a lot better than The Hangover 2, not that this was hard, imho.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:47 am
I saw Cowboys and Aliens as well as Horrible Bosses, both were very good. I'm sure Dark Knight Rises will be good but I'm a bit nervous with the pictures of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. I really like Michelle Pfeiffer's catwoman and it looks like Anne's is more of a cat burglar, from the pictures she doesn't even have cat ears!

The last really good movie I rented was The Next Three Days. It starred Russel Crowe but it went straight to DVD so when i rented it, i knew nothing about it. Check it out!
Special Thanks To Racki For The Signature!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:12 pm
Watched Mad Dog and Glory. Decent little flick. Bill Murray was terrific. Not a bad show for a free rental. DeNiro is good and Uma Thurman is very young and good too. 2.5 kernels out of five.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:58 pm
Watched Suckerpunch on the weekend. It was quite entertaining.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:11 pm
Loved Rise of the Planet of the Apes. 4.5 kernels out of 5. Batman will of course be epic.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:26 pm
The Help - it's the whole damn bag of popcorn kernels out of 5! Such a good movie.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:40 pm
The Town. Five out of five because I love the genre. Well sequenced good Irish mob film. Chucker approved.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:20 am
otto84 wrote:The Help - it's the whole damn bag of popcorn kernels out of 5! Such a good movie.

is that a chick flick?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:36 pm
Saw Warrior this weekend, very good IMO
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:33 pm
Mr.Majestyk wrote:
otto84 wrote:The Help - it's the whole damn bag of popcorn kernels out of 5! Such a good movie.

is that a chick flick?

Technically it isn't, but I'm sure chicks appreciate a lot more then guys. It's worth watching because of the message it gives. Also, it's genuinely funny: shit pie... that's all I'll say. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:57 pm
Watched the movie Hanna tonight. I thought it was really well done and had an amazing soundtrack by the Chemical Brothers. I'm not usually a fan of electronica but it works well in this movie. 4 out of 5
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:32 pm
Yah I really liked Hanna too. It's not for everyone though. Lots of cutesy story in it (with the family she runs in to). But I enjoyed it from end-to-end. And the soundtrack was quite good, agreed.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:11 pm
Despicable Me. Hilarious animated film. Four out of five.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:47 am
I went to see PJ20, if you like Pearl Jam even a little I'd say you should buy this movie, so much insight into the early time and how the band evolved and continues to do so. Glad I saw it at a cinema.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:17 am
Insidious.

OG77 and I watched this last night. I thought it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. For the most part, the movie does a great job with the suspense. The character development is done well enough that you connect with them. I thought there were parts where I was like "yah right, I would be so outta that house in a hurry if that happened" and they stayed, but other parts that made up for those poor choices by the characters that made you go "OK, these characters aren't completely stupid after all".

Some extra characters I don't want to spoil come into the movie later in the film and add a lot of comic relief to help with the tension (which is still there) too. I will say that many people will hate the ending, or eye roll at it. I liked it though.

This movie seems to borrow a lot from Poltergeist, which is fine by me, because that was one of the ultimate horror movies of my childhood. It almost seems like a cross between that and Nightmare on Elm Street. A little borrowed, but nothing these days is original.

Truth be told, horror movies these days never phase me. This one did a better job though at raising my tension level. Something that never seems to happen with the crap horror movies that come out now (even Paranormal Activity).

I'd recommend it for a Halloween flick.

I give this a 555 out of a possible 666.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:09 pm
I too love horror movies, Insideous was pretty good.

SPOILER!!!

The scene where the wife carries the garbage outside the house and she looks in and see's the guy dancing? If you look closely he's inside the house the whole time and she walks right by him and you can't notice right away. He standing up against a coat rack. It's pretty freaky.

END SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with most horror movies is they have a good set up but fail to tie everything up by the end.

A fun movie to rent on Halloween even if it isn't the greatest movie is Trick Or Treat, not the heavt metal movie from the 80's. For a good thriller/horror movie that I thought was really tense was Haute Tension or the english language film High Tension. I prefer to have them speak in French and read the subtitles though.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 am
Finally saw Terminator Salvation last weekend. It was entertaining enough, though the corn factor with the heart thing was a let down. But really, that movie could've been a piece of shit and i still would've enjoyed it because Sam Worthington is just rawr!

Oh and watching Christian Bale be all intense reminded me of that sig you had, Mr M. Gave me a good chuckle.
Next

Return to Off-Topic