[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Olympic Thread

All off-topic discussion goes here.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:42 pm
I'm a hardcore olympics nut, got to get this off my chest:

Uh, officiating in the olympics = Awesome! Really top notch! :evil: Boxing=Fail. Who the hell are these people kidding? The ref is clearly ignoring the holding violations, and we keep losing matches because of it. Women's soccer=Fail. What the hell was that "time violation with no warning" call?

Arggh. And there's nothing we can do.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm
I'm a big fan of the sport soccer. No league in particular but I grew up playing soccer and have coached the last four years and have absolutely loved it. I didn't expect Canada to qualify (not that I really follow) but low and behold we were going for gold! I watched a few of their games and closely followed the semi final game on radio and then on TV. I caught the game when Canada went up three two...

What really stuck out for me was the "delay of game", then the penalty kick off the free kick for the states... Oooohhhh man was I frusterated. Another blatantly obvious mistake was when the American girl, who was clearly a few feet out of bounds behind the goal line riccoched sp* off our girl and then they got a corner kick.

The biggest thing though was in OT, when one of our girls helped up one of the girls from the US team when she fell during play. I think it's kind of a stereotype and I'm damn proud of it.

I wanted the girls to beat the yanks more than anything and I'm sure if they ended up playing for or winning gold, girls soccer participation in Canada would increase tenfold.

Sinclair is a hell of a player - I thought I'd add that.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:00 am
Britain are doing awesome.

Also I am currently in love with Jessica Ennis.

edit: didn't see the women's semi final, wanted Canada to win what actually happened?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:32 pm
Alan-NottsUK wrote:Britain are doing awesome.
indeed, good for you guys.

Alan-NottsUK wrote:
edit: didn't see the women's semi final, wanted Canada to win what actually happened?

It was crazy. Sinclair got a "hat trick" ( Is that what they're called in soccer? Has this ever happened in the history of the sport? <- I'm kidding on that one). She was effing awesome.

We were up, can't remember at what point, and our keeper McLeod got called for delay of game for holding the ball too long. With no warning, our players said. One of the US players was apparently counting, yelling the seconds in the ref's ear. So McLeod got called for 10 seconds (it was nowhere near that in my observation). I just read that Sinclair told that to the ref who "giggled and said nothing". USA got a free kick, then there was this handball controversy that I don't understand so I'll just post the CBC writeup for you:

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/soccer/story/2012/08/06/sp-olympics-soccer-women-canada-usa-day-10.html

They scored on a penalty shot. Eventually we lost 4-3 in (2nd) Extra Time.

It was just such complete bullshit, blatantly obvious something was off with the ref. Either favoritism or utter incompetence. I'm not a soccer fan really, enjoy playing it more than I do watching it, but I was really getting into the game cheering for our ladies. They played so well and just got robbed. I'm still pissed.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:44 am
Just found the highlights on the bbc website.

She did hold it for 10 seconds, there should be no issue over the indirect free kick.

The penalty decision was really harsh though, it was handball but it was hard for the defender to get her arms out of the way, so some refs wouldn't have given it.

Also the woman reporter in the link you gave really had no clue at all :lol:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 am
Bronze medal for Canada's women over the French in the last minute of the game. Ah it's always fun when that happens :D
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:21 am
Didn't realize it was on so early, otherwise I'd have watched before coming into work. Stat sheet looks like we maybe shouldn't have won, but after the bitter semis I don't think anyone will complain. Well except maybe the French. Perhaps they'll go on strike.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:38 pm
Alan-NottsUK wrote:Just found the highlights on the bbc website.

She did hold it for 10 seconds, there should be no issue over the indirect free kick.

The penalty decision was really harsh though, it was handball but it was hard for the defender to get her arms out of the way, so some refs wouldn't have given it.

Also the woman reporter in the link you gave really had no clue at all :lol:

I really wouldn't know as this isn't my sport...

I was wondering more about the "no warning" on the holding - first, not sure if the keeper actually wasn't warned (I read somewhere she was?), and second, is it typical practice to first issue a warning?

Really friggen glad we won today. :D
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:44 am
You tend not to get a warning for anything unless it's persistant little fouls, but that's more of a case of one more and you'll get a yellow card.

The keeper should know not to keep holding the ball for 10-15 seconds at a time, I think the official rule is still 6 seconds, but it's quite a slack rule unless someone is taking the piss with it. From the various different things I've read and watched it seems your keeper was holding it for a long time a lot.

What she should have done is drop the ball and wait for the US player to run to her before punting it down the pitch :lol:

Return to Off-Topic