[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Oilers castaways - could they win?

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:29 pm
Since we've just traded away another useful piece that simply couldn't overcome the general misery of the team in David Perron; I was inspired to throw together a lineup of currently active ex-Oilers in the NHL. All these players were cast away from the club in one way or another. Could they beat the current Oilers?

Cole - Gagner - Lupul
Perron - Stoll - Hemsky
Cogliano - Brodziak - Glencross
Chimera - Horcoff - Pääjärvi

Hejda - Visnovsky
Smid - Gilbert
Brewer - Schultz, N.

Bryzgalov
Dubnyk

Now, it's not a brilliant lineup, but could the beat the present Oilers?
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:13 pm
I'd think that group would smoke the current Oilers. There has to be a better 4th line RW though in our castaways..

But anyways, it sucks Perron was dumped, but this was an obvious move to ensure the McEichel tank doesn't get derailed by a hot streak or 6. And I believe Perron has asked for a trade, so if he doesn't want to be here, it makes sense to move him. But this is definitely a big step backwards for the current team, and a hope and prayer for the team 3-5+ years from now. It's a deep draft this year, supposedly, however, so that at least is promising. Do we trust these scouts to do anything outside the top 10 though? This should work out to be around the 25th OV range.

I will say that I think value wise, it is about right, I think. Klinkhammer is a toss in, so I consider him nothing in this trade, and rightfully so. He's 28 with maybe 2 full seasons worth of hockey to his name. Not good. But the Oilers got a 1st overall in a deep draft for a guy who has stunk the joint up this year. That said, the critics will rightfully say that this should have been a move made in the off-season at the start of this year when Perron's value was a lot higher. Hard to say who they could have acquired for him then. This move is all about securing McEichel though and getting an extra high chance scratch ticket with that.

Do I like this trade? No, because it means they're rebuilding the rebuild of the rebuild. This is a fucking joke and if MacTavish and Lowe aren't fired by the end of the year, I may have to burn down a Rexall Pharmacy each day until it happens.

One last note.. tinfoil hat time. I was posting at Oilers Nation one day when I stumbled on a ridiculous post in the comments section from someone that said "Mr Katz doesn't have to win until he's in the new building." and he was dead serious. Pardon-fucking-me??? Are you fucking that daft??? That is unbelievable. I couldn't believe that. No one could be that stupid to actually think that.. except for someone related to the upper management/owner or actually the upper management/owner. The tinfoil hat comes out because I think Oilers Nation is a high profile enough site that someone connected to upper management/ownership probably was behind that post. It's just too ridiculous in this town that is so hungry for blood to come from anyone else. All it did was make me think that Katz probably feels that he really doesn't need to win until 2016, as though a new arena should magically make us forget everything.

As a tier 1 fan, it is a huge kick in the nuts. We've hung on to our seasons tickets for the sake of seeing these kids finally do something, and for the sake of the new arena, so yes, he'd be right if he assumes that fans are hanging in on the hope of the new arena. However, I will push my hardest to cancel the tickets before 2016 if the 2015/16 season isn't a huge improvement. I pushed this year too, but not that hard because I thought this season was going to go better based on the changes made.

/endrant, sorry
Coach
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:04 am
Maybe Colin McDonald is a better suited 4th line winger?

In any case I am disappointed that the Oilers did not seek immediate help in a Perron-trade, but opting to keep the rebuild going with yet another 1st rounder project, and a late 1st at that. If Perron and his new company does what they're good at, it might even be a 29th/30th overall. Could we not get a defenseman from them? Despres? Dumoulin? Fuck, even Bortuzzo would have made sense if we hadn't stocked up with Nikitin and Ference already. But nay, let's draft someone, rush him, suffer through his developing years, then trade him as he comes into his own 5-7 years from now.

And yes, what does the new arena have to do with winning? With the rife losing culture we have, who the hell is confident that can be changed whenever you want? I'd be pissing myself worrying that the new arena sits empty by 2016 because people find the Oilers cancer-inducing to watch. How about them Oil Kings? Will they stay at "Rexall"?
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:35 pm
I think they could have asked for a D, but I would have been surprised if they would have got Despres. That said, I'm probably biased, owning him in the FHL. I also would have hated seeing him in an Oiler jersey for that reason only. But I guess he's at the bottom of their D group there, so maybe I over value him.

The pick is tough to justify at this point though, yes. It is in a deeper draft, which is good, but either way, it'll still be someone who will likely be quite a ways away.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:25 am
The thing about the two Pens D-man that I heard rumoured (Despres and Pouliot) is as nice as they would be to have acquired it really would have just added to our already massive logjam of young, left handed D men(Nurse, Klef, Marincin, etc...).

I've also heard some speculation that the idea with this move was to use it to help the tank for the season and then package the newly acquired first rounder at the draft for a bona fide player that can actually help next season. It kind of makes sense and with the talk of this being one of the deepest drafts in years they just might get good value for it then.

Although that would show actual planning and foresight on this management team so I'm not going to hold my breath that they can pull their heads out of their asses.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:53 am
gr8: I sure to heck hope you're right about plans to package that pick.

That said, Gregor posed the question "what good player was acquired in a draft day trade for a 22-30 range pick in the last 10 years?". First, the "draft day trade" part is a bit should actually be ignored. That's limiting the results, and I wonder if there's a reason he did that (is there a big home run trade that happened well before that date?). Anyways, Brent Burns and Troy Brouwer were the only 2 names people could come up with. I'll have to look through the list again tomorrow maybe and see if there's more outside the draft day (again, I think that's limiting the results unnecessarily, although that's typically when those picks have the most value).

Anyways, bringing this back to my original thought.... if this pick was intended to be traded, I feel a lot better about the deal. A lot better. I don't want Rebuild 3.0. I'm perfectly fine with tanking for McDavid though, if they plan on trying to do major fixes at between now and September. I can't hack thinking of the new arena as the timing point for when winning should start though.

Return to Edmonton Oilers