[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Oil Change... for real finally?

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 pm
So the media caught wind that Chiarelli's hiring will be announced tomorrow. Bob McKenzie seems to think he'll take over Hockey Operations completely, which means what, exactly (if true)?

Well, both Scott Howson and Kevin Lowe are part of this. So to me, that would mean both are gonzo. Chiarelli won't want anything to do with a loser regime, especially guys he had no choice in. Next up will be GM interviews....

I'm confident the OBC's days are numbered, but only if Chiarelli really is being hired on as POHO.

And well, let's talk about McDavid... not even an Oiler yet, and he may be this teams savior, as he alone will attract some smart minds, and those smart minds in turn will attract some good players. All aboard the Oilers bandwagon... we may turn a corner just yet!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:43 pm
I know...it really does feel surreal. I'm scared to be excited.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:07 am
I can't ever remember a week like this. The amount of good Oiler news is mind-blowing. McDavid.......Chiarelli.......Pens pulling a solid to give us pick #16....

I read on twitter that this is the 1st time in franchise history that the Oilers have hired a GM with previous GM experiance.... Just Wow
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:17 am
That pick also could drop to 15. Not a huge diff, but it's a difference. That would involve the Flames making the West final though, which isn't probably worth it at all :P

But yah, new GM, soon a new arena, new generational superstar (remains to be seen though, I suppose).... crazy how things can change. That said, I've gotten excited every off-season for the last 9 years and each one of them I've uttered the phrase "I really do believe it this time!". Fuck you, Oilers, for making me so cynical!
Coach
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:31 am
Just a reminder: Nothing has changed. We're still a very bad team until proven otherwise. I made a poem.

We draw new lines and dream

Slot in new guys and scream

This is our year, this is it

Scrivens in net, the lamp is lit

All we have seen is shit and steam

As it has been this is our theme
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:06 pm
I agree that the team isn't a good team until it's a good team (channeling my inner Harry Caray here), but I think this is promising as heck. McDavid saved the franchise. The Oilers don't win that lotto, and Chiarelli thinks a little longer about where he wants to go, and interviews with some other teams...

The Oilers have to milk this like hell this off-season, as you want to strike while the iron is hot. McDavid hasn't even played yet, and I am not saying for certain he'll be a generational player.. he could flop.. but if the Oilers keep making good changes now, it won't matter, I don't think. But I don't think he will flop. He's the Oilers Sidney Crosby, and as such, he should keep attracting good players to come here (finally).

Listen (channeling Dallas Eakins now), we are all jaded, cynical fans now. But to me, this is the TSN turning point. It may still be another shitty year, who knows, but this is a big step in the right direction. An image repair was drastically needed here. My only beef is that Katz balls still haven't dropped (aside from lotto balls) as MacT and Lowe are still employed here so far (wtf!!).
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:28 pm
Since we're channeling our inner Eakins.

Listen, the problems with this team isn't just media donuts and too much ping pong, the problem is not enough Will Actons. It's about COMPETE. We need to commit to compete and and be committed to commitment and have the commitment to compete. I don't care how good you are, you can be our top Defenseman and number one draft pick and I will scratch you in a heartbeat....you must be an ex Marlie to have the compete and commitment I deem necessary to be successful at competing in this league. Listen, unless your name is Justin Schultz and and want to half ass a back check I demand nothing but holding everyone accountable. Except Schultzy...Craig says he's Norris caliber so Schultzy can just Schultz as much as wants...why? Listen...it's because at least he's COMMITTED to half assing it...

Look, my hair is getting in my eyes and I need to get back to overseeing Will Acton waterboard Yak and Petry...you know...look, it's not my fault Yak actually skated...we can't have that, he made Schultzy look so bad out there by actually trying...that's not how to show commitment or compete. Especially while we have Petry out there actually playing NHL defense, how can I keep gifting all that ice time to Schultzy?

Goodnight.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:10 am
Lol +10 FHLP!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:07 am
NorwegianOiler wrote:Just a reminder: Nothing has changed. We're still a very bad team until proven otherwise. I made a poem.

QFT.

Not sure what to call this feeling.
Cautious optimism? no. Oilers fans know better than that.
Tempered cynicism? Perhaps.

All I can say is I haven't felt like I want to kill myself in a hockey context in over a week. And friends, that is saying something.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
Coach
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:14 pm
hemmerlady wrote:
NorwegianOiler wrote:Just a reminder: Nothing has changed. We're still a very bad team until proven otherwise. I made a poem.

QFT.

Not sure what to call this feeling.
Cautious optimism? no. Oilers fans know better than that.
Tempered cynicism? Perhaps.

All I can say is I haven't felt like I want to kill myself in a hockey context in over a week. And friends, that is saying something.

That's it. It shall one day be a relief to actually care again - but being subjected to moronic management and hapless end product for years on end dulls the senses.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:21 pm
Buzz Killington and Madam Killjoy!

Haha seriously though, can't disagree... I'm guarded in optimism too, but far more optimistic than pre lotto. I'm pretty certain the lotto saved the franchise. Hell, even if McDavid doesn't pan out, it might, because by the time people figure it out we will have attracted ourselves some decent support cast finally.... Maybe.
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:44 am
Racki wrote:Buzz Killington and Madam Killjoy!

Haha seriously though, can't disagree... I'm guarded in optimism too, but far more optimistic than pre lotto. I'm pretty certain the lotto saved the franchise. Hell, even if McDavid doesn't pan out, it might, because by the time people figure it out we will have attracted ourselves some decent support cast finally.... Maybe.

You could be right the lotto may well save the franchise. NorOil and I have to hang on to negativity as a means of self-preservation. Lol. No one can deny this franchise has subjected its fanbase to a sadistic level of pain. I'm keeping my head down in the fear management will smack us again.

I'm still in shock that we won the lotto. Now there's a hint of excitement in my stomach. Watching this kid play is something else. Save us McJeebus...
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:52 am
Well, I've worn my Oilers ball cap a few times already this summer. Right now, with the wave of excitement, it seems like the best time to do so.

But, like everybody here, I've been fooled far too many times by "expectations" with this team. My only hope is that with new management, and McLellan coaching, we may actually see some real hockey being played.

Granted, the defence and goaltending still need some work, but I'd be happy just being able to watch a full game without being disgusted by the lack of heart. Unlike many of Craig's fan focus group, I was NOT satisfied to see them just complete a few passes in a row...
The Heatwave will return in 2015!
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:57 pm
I feel like the Oilers gained a lot of legitimacy this off season. I definitely had them down as another bad season until the McDavid win sparked everything.. Bam.. Crosby potential Player added... GM with good name/track record added.. Legit NHL coach added.

Now I'd like to think that the combination of these 3 additions will help change the image here, which was drastically needed. The defense changes need seem like it can't be accomplished in one season, and I still see a need to tweak the forwards and fix the goaltending issue. So Chia will be a busy man, but I don't think we need him to fix everything in one season. Just make some smart personnel changes this off season with out fucking yourself long term. From Jonathan Willis' articles, looks like the Rangers and Hawks are good trade targets. I'm not confident Seabrook could have the impact we need, but they have some good forwards I'd look at. Defense needs to be addressed at a team level.
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:28 am
Racki wrote:I feel like the Oilers gained a lot of legitimacy this off season. I definitely had them down as another bad season until the McDavid win sparked everything.. Bam.. Crosby potential Player added... GM with good name/track record added.. Legit NHL coach added.

From Jonathan Willis' articles, looks like the Rangers and Hawks are good trade targets. I'm not confident Seabrook could have the impact we need, but they have some good forwards I'd look at. Defense needs to be addressed at a team level.

Agreed on the legitimacy, and I think that gives Chia a little bit more of an opportunity to pull a UFA defenceman into the mix this off-season. Although, I also agree that it won't be an overnight fix.

I think, with guys like Nurse, Klefbom, and even Marincin to a degree in the pipeline, what the Oilers need is to establish a little bit more of a system on the backend, and an attitude that will be far more beneficial to the younger D guys WHEN they're ready to come up (not next season).

I think if the team can create the right atmosphere in the next season or two, they'll be giving themselves a really good shot at growing a strong, talented defensive corps. That's where I see a good, solid, skilled veteran being a really good addition.
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:48 pm
Ktown wrote:Well, I've worn my Oilers ball cap a few times already this summer. Right now, with the wave of excitement, it seems like the best time to do so.

But, like everybody here, I've been fooled far too many times by "expectations" with this team. My only hope is that with new management, and McLellan coaching, we may actually see some real hockey being played.

Granted, the defence and goaltending still need some work, but I'd be happy just being able to watch a full game without being disgusted by the lack of heart. Unlike many of Craig's fan focus group, I was NOT satisfied to see them just complete a few passes in a row...

With all the good that has transpired here in Oilerland lately I forgot about those comments from Craig. Wasn't that comment made at some type of season tickets holder event??? Looking back, those comments may have been the final nail in the coffin for the Mac in Bob N's eyes. What a truly stupid thing to say to your direct tier one fans. Wow.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:54 pm
Well, 8 games, a 3-5 record, but honestly - aside from some horrific defence that hangs goalies out to dry - I am seeing a difference in the team. They look competitive, at least and have been doing some basic things well (basics we haven't seen in a long time).

I'm liking their neutral zone play for the most part, the willingness to dump the puck into the zone, some fairly aggressive forechecking, and some pretty good d-zone clears and breakouts.

It's been enough that I've at least picked up Gamecenter to watch. Although, in fairness, I did take the month to month option because, well, Oilers. Lol
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 pm
Speaking of Gamecenter, I got a free year by being a Rogers customer.. specifically, by changing to a share everything plan. They also gave 2 years of Spotify. Loving both.

Anyways, the record actually is better, I think, but they do revert to stupid hockey from time to time. Even Nuge and McDavid made a couple of big, costly defensive errors last night. McDavid's mistake was being way too soft of the guy at the side of the net waiting to tap it in, and Nuge's mistake was leaving the guy he was glued to to double team Sekera's man. Derp. I feel though that these mistakes are getting fewer in most games. Last night was that odd game where we just see a lot higher frequency of stupidity. I think McLellan needs to constantly remind players about coverage.

I think he's pissed at some players too.. not sure which ones. My guesses would be Sekera, Ference, Fayne, Schultz (who slips back into Jultz mode now and then)... maybe some others. I don't think the young guys have been close to consistently bad like the first 3 names I mentioned.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:11 pm
Agreed. Still some brainfarts out there, but thankfully bookended with actual hockey.

And, yes - I get the feeling that most of last nights D is gonna get ripped a new one. I know the Caps are a fast team, but speed is supposed to be a hallmark of the Oil. I heard McClellan is going to be holding a few 1-on-1 conversations. I don't think I'd want to be in one of those.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:26 pm
Sekera is nowhere near what I thought he would mean to this defence but for the time being i'd put it mostly on getting accustomed to a new team. If we are still having this conversation at the 20 game mark I will start getting very concerned.

On the flip side I have been very impressed with Gryba. I'm starting to think of him as a 3rd pairing guy who can fill in on the 2nd pairing as well. A higher ceiling then I originally had him pegged as.
Next

Return to Edmonton Oilers