[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Best Drafting Record By League

Talk about non-NHL hockey such as Juniors, Euro Leagues, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:46 pm
Okay, this might be right up Crott's alley but I was wondering which league has the most/best NHL'ers. I was listening to a podcast of Bob Stauffer's show and he mentioned that he was happy with the roster because it had so many WHL guys on it. Without even looking at the numbers I would guess that the WHL has the most current NHL'ers but OHL has more top tier talent in the NHL.

Anyways, what do you think? Which CHL league has the best pedigree?
Special Thanks To Racki For The Signature!
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:14 pm
My first guess would be that the OHL leads this by a fair margin. I'm sure there are numbers out there somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:37 pm
The numbers are probably out there but sheer numbers don't say if a guy is elite or not.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:48 pm
Well purely based on numbers, I'm guessing the OHL has a substantial positive difference (larger) pool of players to select from purely based on population. I'm guessing Toronto and GTAhas more people than BC to Manitoba combined. I'm not sure on the drafting process on the major juniors but unless you are REALLY good, I'm guessing most players are drafted within a certain radius of the team's city. Based on that alone, just by sheer numbers, I assume that the OHL has a better talent pool o select from.

As for pedigree and overall talent it's tough to say, how do you measure that? If it's by goals and assists, it seems more OHL/Q players become more successful. From what I've seen and felt is that the WHL seems to produce more "gritty/hard nosed players", (consequently with less offensive power than OHL?) and defensmen than offensive stars. But then again I think the question arises, is it the actual league/team developing these young stars, or does it have to do with population size? Most likely both, larger population, bigger talent pool = tougher competition.

As for team/player development the Major Juniors is a never ending cycle, since the age starts from 16 and you can play till 20 is it? So most of the time it feels like more luck of the draw than anything, I'm not saying that coaches and staff do a bad job developing players but more along the lines of the "up and down" nature of the roster due to the age limit.

From my personal view, Red Deer has done a really good job with player an team development from as far as I can remember. We may have not produced a ton of NHL players but quite a few (Phaneuf, Riemer, Fraser, Mason, Vandameer, Woywitka, Ward, Aashom to name a few off hand) and I think a lot of it had to do with the coaching from Sutter. Now we have Jesse Wallin an I think he's doing a pretty good job as well (just not near the level of Sutter though). Anyways to make my point I don't really know any teams in the CHL that have a really high reputation that continue developing players, with the exception of the London Knights (Hunter is a name I come across frequently) and it seems most the talent comes from the larger talent pool, go figure, which is usually the OHL.

Anyways that's my take on it.

Edit: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html - Here is some basic stats, it's a little harder to judge actual pedigree but you'll know where the players come from/how they are doing at least.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:13 am
Good resource Zackman. Bob Stauffer usually knows his stuff but half the time he's full of crap. I have to listen to podcasts of Oilers Now though because its about the Oilers.

P.S. The comments regarding Dan Tencer's twitpic is hilarious.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:41 pm
I remember one guy saying OHL for forwards and WHL for defencemen. Thought it was interesting. Not sure if it is based in facts though.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 am
This is where I get to pipe in with a little homerism, right?

I'd tend to agree with Chucker about the D - The Kelowna Rockets themselves have sent up guys like Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, Luke Schenn, Tyler Myers and (hopefully soon) Tyson Barrie...

As for forwards, there have been a few decent forwards from the Dub, but I think the numbers will likely show that there are really good D coming out of the west.
The Heatwave will return in 2015!

Return to Other Hockey Leagues