[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Justin Schultz is an Oiler

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:50 pm
As per the Oilers, Dreger, Rishaug, Matheson, Spector, et al

Now we just havt hope he's as good as everyone believes. Of course with 25 teams trying for him that definitely is a good sign.

Nice to see the Oilers finally win a big UFA bid.
The Heatwave will return in 2015!
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:49 pm
Dooooon't stop....... beelllliieevinnnn'...... *duhn dunh duh dunnnn* Hold on to the feeeeeelin'!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:06 pm
Sweet victory.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:59 pm
Cautious optimism, how I've missed thee. Let me count the ways.
Hopefully some more movement tomorrow during free agent frenzy...though that may be pie-in-the-sky.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:16 pm
I think this sums up the day quite nicely

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:41 pm
It just feels good to have a highly touted player (albeit only a prospect at this time) CHOOSE to come to Edmonton. And, money wasn't a factor - couldn't outbid anyone.

And, it's funny to see the Anaheim media bitching about it. I didn't hear them raise too much of a stink when it was CFP rejecting the Oilers.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:06 am
Also curious for other's thoughts on this:

Do you think the kid actually said "guaranteed roster" spot?

By the sounds of things, he was a good guy at Wisconsin - hard worker, team guy, leader in the room. Basically a strong character kid. I'm wondering if he didn't just tell his agent "I want to go to a team where I can play this season" and that got blown out of proportion in the media?

To me there's a huge difference between "want a team where I've got the best opportunity to play" and "I want a guaranteed roster spot".
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:11 am
Ktown wrote:Also curious for other's thoughts on this:

Do you think the kid actually said "guaranteed roster" spot?

By the sounds of things, he was a good guy at Wisconsin - hard worker, team guy, leader in the room. Basically a strong character kid. I'm wondering if he didn't just tell his agent "I want to go to a team where I can play this season" and that got blown out of proportion in the media?

To me there's a huge difference between "want a team where I've got the best opportunity to play" and "I want a guaranteed roster spot".

Well, since he is supposed to be better than Murray, I'd say his spot is safe, but yeah, he knows he has to prove himself. The kid made no bones about letting it be known he expected to have a roster spot though. Based on what I have heard and seen,, it won't be an issue. Detroit even guaranteed him a roster spot.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:15 am
Actually, I listened to an interview with him today. And well, maybe it was blown out of proportion.. or maybe he was just saying what the media wanted to hear.. but he clearly said that he did NOT expect a roster spot and he wanted to earn his spot on the team.

I tweeted about it earlier.. it's an interview between he and Ryan Dittrick. He made it pretty clear in that interview that he wasn't expecting to come right in and make the roster... he knows he has to work for it. So I wouldn't worry too much, although i don't think people were too concerned anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Pretty impressive signing for the Oilers, and kind of ends the jokes about nobody wanting to come to Edmonton.

Cant really comment much further, as I really have not seen anything from this kid and only heard things about him, but it sounds like people are pretty sure he will be a solid top 4 defender right away
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:50 pm
Yah, talk about mounds of pressure for him though. Ahh well, he did put a lot of it on himself though, so I assume he is able to handle it.

But the word on the street indeed is that he is the real deal... calming presence on the blueline.. great offensive skills. Can't wait to see what he brings, although I expect it to take some time.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:00 pm
Racki wrote:Yah, talk about mounds of pressure for him though. Ahh well, he did put a lot of it on himself though, so I assume he is able to handle it.

But the word on the street indeed is that he is the real deal... calming presence on the blueline.. great offensive skills. Can't wait to see what he brings, although I expect it to take some time.

Well, it sounds like he has even better potential than Gilbert. I hope that is the case, but really, even if he can outlet like the confident Gilbert and defend well, he will make our team better. It's hard not to get excited about his offensive skills from the tape I have seen.

I think best case is he comes in and has a great camp and just continues to learn and mesh with the rest of the boys.
General Manager
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA62fsldQMU

That hipcheck he throws at around the 50 second mark is Legen... wait for it..... wait for it some more... dary.

I also couldn't help but notice he wears #6..... more reason to move Whitney.. lol jk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 am
Racki wrote:Yah, talk about mounds of pressure for him though. Ahh well, he did put a lot of it on himself though, so I assume he is able to handle it.

I think the thing to watch for this season with Schultz is, as you said if he can get over the hump of what is huge expectations that came with all of this offseason.
Not to mention the hateful reputation he has gained too, it reminds me of the Tim Erixon situation last year.

If he can get past all the controversy and questions that people will continue to bring up then he should go a long way as a top 4 defenseman. One more top 4 defenseman and a decent goalie and the Oilers could be icing a solid 3 lines
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:43 pm
Interesting article posted on Oil on White that says the Oilers were gonna select Ryan Murray with the 1st overall pick until the team was contacted by Schultz and/or his agent prior to the draft, saying that Schultz intended to sign with the Oilers.

http://oilonwhyte.com/2012/07/31/how-ju ... nhl-draft/

Really I don't see any truth in this.

If the Oilers were contacted (prior to the draft) by the Schultz camp about signing with the Oilers then I think that would be considered tampering since Schultz did not become a free agent until June 25th(after the draft) and was still property of the Ducks.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:42 pm
I agree. Plus, neither of these guys, theoretically, should be impact players this coming year. So really, I can't see it that we'd have to choose one or the other, or must have one now to succeed now. Yakupov was the better player, and I'm pretty sure the Oilers wanted him for quite a while
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 pm
I think it is worth noting that Schultz went his last 28 AHL games without taking a penalty and has only taken 3 minors all year. Really and underrated part of his game. Brian Campbel/Lady Byngl like!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm
The biggest disappointment with the lockout ending is that Schultz didn't get to finish setting the rookie D scoring record (and likely the D scoring record) in the AHL.

Not that I'm complaining about seeing him in the NHL, but that would have been cool.

Benefits of living in Kelowna - a really close friend is also close with Schutzie Sr. I'm hoping for a signed jersey in my near future - if not some game tickets!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 am
Schultz will wear #19 per @edmontonoilers. I love this for a couple reasons: Stevie Y and it's my lucky number!

Excited to see him play with the Timbits on the main stage.
the sultriest singer in the federal league
triforce siggy courtesy adrianl of the OMB
Coach
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 am
Marty Reasoner tribute!
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15

Return to Edmonton Oilers