[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

TRADE TALK:

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Since it's always fun playing an armchair GM thought I'd start a thread.

Weigh in on rumours, your own trade ideas or comment on others.

I'll start with some of the speculation I've heard out there and that's that Bogosion and the Oilers have been linked again in trade rumours...that and the fact that E. Kane can't seem to fart nowadays without the press jumping all over him and it seems like a change of scenery might be good for both him and the Jets, and so considering the Oilers need for a power forward that can skate with the wonderkids and it probably being benficial for a player like E. Kane to be somewhat in the shadow of some other stars the Oilers might be the perfect fit.

So, what might a blockbuster look like to get Kane and Bogosian?

Well, I personally wouldn't give up any one of Nuge, Hall, Eberle or Schultz, so I think that pretty much leaves Yakupov as one of the cornerstones to a trade as a starting point.

It's risky for both sides since Yak has extreme elite goal scoring potential but on the other hand E.Kane is a proven NHL commodity and the Pepgers might not be wiling to make that gamble.

Another issue is Bogosian is coming off surgery and might miss the first part of the season so there's risk involved there, the bonus to that though is it might bring his value down a bit, but boy would a 22 year old big bodied defenseman with his skillset fit in nicely with the Oilers.

So, all of that said, what gets that deal done?

Yakupov
Omark
Teubert
and a 2nd round pick

for

Evander Kane
Zach Bogosian
and Jim Slater

Too Much? not enough, about right?

Hall Hopkins Eberle
Kane Gagner Hemsky
Smyth Horcoff Harski
PRV/Eager/Hords Slater Jones

Petry Smid
Whitney Schultz
Schultz Bogosian

I gotta say....Bogosian(with a healthy Whitney) suddenly makes our D corps look pretty fanatastic.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:33 pm
Trade talk is a fun past time but unfortunately 999/1000 it's just that. I do agree with you though gr8one, like I mentioned in the rebuild series, The Rebuild Part 3: Building a Championship Team, I think we are just a couple acquisitions away from being a true force to be reckon with. Adding a power-forward and a number one or first pairing D-man could really push the Oilers over the top however, I strongly oppose the idea of trading Yakupov, especially when we don't know what exactly we have yet.

There is little doubt in my mind he will be a big time performer, the magnitude is yet to be determined. Right now I'd be okay with Tambo sitting on who we have, at least for forwards. It may not be the perfect top six yet but it seems like it's pretty darn close *knock on wood*. As for the D, ST may add but I doubt he'd move a big piece, at least not until the trade deadline.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:38 pm
I love your trade idea.. I mean, sure we're giving away Yakupov before even knowing what he can do. But I think Bogosian is going to be one of those reliable two way guys that can shutdown opponents, and I've always wanted us to try and get him. RHD.. 2-way with physical prowess.. yes please. Evander Kane brings some good muscle/toughness, and already looks like he can provide good offense. Both these players would be huge additions to the team. We also gain another solid faceoff man with Slater. Speaking of... where is Belanger, BTW?

I don't know if we'd be giving enough here or not. Omark is a decent talent, but already proven to be unneeded here... so there's questions whether he'd be needed anywhere. We might have to give up more to make this deal work. That said, we're giving away a #1 talent in Yakupov.. someone with star power who could rile up a lot of excitement in Winnipeg for years to come.

I would do this deal in a heartbeat, which makes me wonder if the Jets would do it.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:39 pm
Racki wrote:I love your trade idea.. I mean, sure we're giving away Yakupov before even knowing what he can do. But I think Bogosian is going to be one of those reliable two way guys that can shutdown opponents, and I've always wanted us to try and get him. RHD.. 2-way with physical prowess.. yes please. Evander Kane brings some good muscle/toughness, and already looks like he can provide good offense. Both these players would be huge additions to the team. We also gain another solid faceoff man with Slater. Speaking of... where is Belanger, BTW?

I don't know if we'd be giving enough here or not. Omark is a decent talent, but already proven to be unneeded here... so there's questions whether he'd be needed anywhere. We might have to give up more to make this deal work. That said, we're giving away a #1 talent in Yakupov.. someone with star power who could rile up a lot of excitement in Winnipeg for years to come.

I would do this deal in a heartbeat, which makes me wonder if the Jets would do it.

That is also where I'm with it...but if it's not enough, what would you add/subtract to make the Peg bite?
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:49 pm
It's tough, but maybe we move one of our more solid D prospects in place of Omark/Teubert. I would really like to move Omark finally though since he isn't part of the team. I'm horrible with deals, so I guess I'd say you up the ante and substitute Teubert and instead place in .... oi.. jeez, I dunno. Let's go backwards a step here and instead of suggesting a D prospect, maybe we could give them Nick Schultz or Ryan Whitney instead. :lol:

Seriously, I'm not even sure... but I'd love to see Bogo in an Oil uni!

Maybe they'll leverage his name and have BOGO beer sales!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:07 am
I guess I'm in the minority here but I'm not a fan of Kane at all. I might go watch a few more Jets games on GCL but I really don't see anything special about him.

Bogosian I would love, but I'm not sure I'd do it at the expense of Yakupov without seeing what he can do first.

I think the Jets would want an established D+ a couple of good prospects.

Return to Edmonton Oilers