[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Dubey Traded - Scrivens & Hendricks Join Oil

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:48 pm
Dubey goes to Nashville, a 3rd rounder goes to LA, Ben Scrivens and Matt Hendricks make their way to Edmonton...

2 UFA goalies at the end of this year. MacT keeping options open, or setting up for failure? who knows.

Hendricks is a big boy that can play the game, and manages to play gritty. I like the pickup - of course I now wish I could have kept him on my FHL roster (no Oilers for the Heatwave).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441293
The Heatwave will return in 2015!
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm
I actually like this move as a WHOLE. Dubnyk was also a pending UFA.. so it's one pending UFA for another. Some would argue that Scrivens is a great goaltender stuck in a tough situation. Hard to really say that. The Kings obviously have a far better defense than the Oilers, and one could say the same about Toronto. In fact, one could say that about 29 teams in the league. The Oilers really have the worst defense in the league, I'm sure of it.

That said, I don't believe any goalie will fix our problems here. MacT will have his hands full because a #1/#2 d-man is definitely needed here. The Oilers tried the death-by-thousand-papercuts defense, and it didn't work. They need someone who is a rock back there. They don't necessarily need a 7M man, but they need someone very reliable. They need more guys who can play defense. I never liked this offense first approach for defensemen. To me it's stupid and goes against over 100 years of NHL hockey. Defense should always be able to take care of their own end first and foremost.. any offensive ability on top of that is cake.

As far as Hendricks being on your FHL roster... are you bloody serious? You want an Oilers fourth line banger on your FHL roster? This isn't two time champion talk. I'd steer clear of him. He might be someone to be a little excited about, but I'd be surprised if he manages 10 points in a year here. His good years seem to far behind him now (stats wise) and I feel we got little in return for Dubnyk. On the whole, I love the trade though. But if you isolate that one piece, I was really questioning it. But hey, Dubnyk has crap value right now.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:55 pm
Hummm....... Interesting moves. I really like the Scrivens trade as I've always like Ben. With our D I highly doubt that he makes any difference but if he can be signed on past this season then I think a 3rd round pick will look like peanuts when all is said and done.

Regarding the Nashville trade: I know we had to make room for Scrivens but bringing in a 4th line guy on a $1.85M contract with 3+ seasons left on it seems kind of suspect to me. I would have preferred to get a Nashville player on his last year or a low pick for him.
General Manager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:31 pm
Yah, I honestly don't really get the Hendricks move, myself. I do get that this team needs some toughness and guys who are willing to get dirty, so I'll keep an open mind, but it seems like Dubnyk should fetch you more... however, we're talking about a pending UFA goaltender who hasn't proven squat... so, maybe not. In fact, very likely not.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:34 pm
Lol - you forget, Racki, Hendricks already has a Norack Cup ring.

But, I traded him away at the right time. I'd just like to have another Oiler on the roster.
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:10 am
Hey, Colin Fraser has an actual cup ring that matters. Just sayin' :P

Most players that come here lose talent not gain it, so I think it's crazy. But what do I know, not having an illustrious cup ring?? :P You sound more like KLowe than Patrick Roy.
Coach
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:14 am
I believe Colin Fraser has TWO rings - CHI and LAK.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:00 pm
Oh yes, I believe you are right. Of course those rings were all him too.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 pm
Racki wrote:Hey, Colin Fraser has an actual cup ring that matters. Just sayin' :P

Most players that come here lose talent not gain it, so I think it's crazy. But what do I know, not having an illustrious cup ring?? :P You sound more like KLowe than Patrick Roy.

Hey - I think I know a thing or two about winning... You Tier 2 fan! LOL

On a serious note - I think Hendricks price tag for his production is off, but at less than $2M, it's not a huge pill to swallow. If he can provide some sandpaper support to a kid like Gazdic, then that's one thing; but, Hendricks has been able to play up and down a lineup (he actually had some time on a line with Ovi, briefly), can kill penalties, and manages to be a solid checking forward. We can use that.

With the cap going up next season (back to $70M is the word 'round the campfire) then a $2M contract isn't so bad.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:17 pm
i like the Hendricks pick up, Oilers need more hard nosed players and apparently Hendricks never stops talking from the bench either, so it's going to be good for the younger players to have that around
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 pm
Well look what the cat dragged in! Good to see you up on the boards again, Alan.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:47 pm
haha new job means less time watching NHL hockey, so i've not had much to say, combine it with the new levels of suck the Oilers have bought this season and theres not much to talk about.

Though i've been informed of a billboard on Yellowhead stating This Is As Lowe As We Go!! and also apparently someone had parked a Lowe's Gotta Go sign outside the Oilers office near Kingsway Mall for a few hours today as well.

I'm hoping the Olympics can bring back some hockey love to this forum/blog since the Oilers seem to have killed it recently

Return to Edmonton Oilers