[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Dallas Eakins -Should he stay or should he go?

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:32 am
This is really the biggest issue heading into the summer. Now I know that firing & bringing in yet another coach is really gonna look bad on the organization but IMO Eakins is probably the worst coach we've seen in this never ending rebuild. His distribution of ice-time really bugs the crap out of me and the special teams.......well I don't even need to say anything about that, we all know the problems there.

Having the players learning another coaches systems from scratch would be asking too much of them so really my solution would be to fire Eakins and all the assistants and replacing him with a guy that most players in this organization have familiarity with.....Todd Nelson, who I feel was overlooked last summer would be my choice. He always seems to get the most out of his players. Heck , when the lockout ended a few years back and OKC lost most of its star power Todd Nelsons team actually improved.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:53 am
It's hard to figure Todd Nelson would be an improvement, since he has zero NHL experience. But he at least seems able to adapt his game however needed, as he's taught the same system the Oilers use down there to keep things consistent.

I think for me, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. The players have had too many extra lives. A coach can only do so much. On a powerplay, they'll tell you how to position, but not tell you "don't pass to Yakupov" or "don't shoot, just pass it until it goes in the net".

Now on the flip side of the coin, I haven't seen anything from Eakins that says "keep this guy". I like him, personally, but in what areas has he improved the team? I'm thinking zero? I could be wrong there.

I hate having to start fresh over and over, but I'd wipe the entire coaching staff clean, and bring in Todd Nelson and whatever crew he wants. Bye bye Buchy finally, bye bye Smith. Eakins might deserve that opportunity as well, but again... with their being no sign of progress, I'm not so sure that's the case.

Really, Eakins came at the perfect time (for his own sake). How do you fire the coach yet again? That's the only reason to keep him, IMHO. You just don't want to keep giving the players excuses every year to suck. It's time for them to step up, and MacT has to keep wiping out the players that don't show up every night. That's job #1... the figurehead.. well... I wouldn't complain if Eakins was fired, but I wouldn't be too terribly upset if they gave him more time. It's more important to me that they fix some problems on this team, like get a VETERAN blue line.
Coach
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:02 pm
Most disappointing part is how our special teams have gone from good to bad so fast.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:48 pm
Racki wrote:It's hard to figure Todd Nelson would be an improvement, since he has zero NHL experience..

Not entirely true. While Todd has never been the lead guy on the bench he did spend some time as an assistant coach with the Atlanta Thrashers.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:54 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:Most disappointing part is how our special teams have gone from good to bad so fast.
You know, one thing that sticks out in my mind is that game where we gave up a shorthanded goal while using a 5 forward powerplay.

We had just started using that 5 forward power play and had some success with it in prior games but once that 1 shorthanded goal was scored(Vs the Blackhawks I think) our PP was never the same.

Is that how fragile this team has become?
General Manager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:45 pm
Metal&Oil wrote:
Racki wrote:It's hard to figure Todd Nelson would be an improvement, since he has zero NHL experience..

Not entirely true. While Todd has never been the lead guy on the bench he did spend some time as an assistant coach with the Atlanta Thrashers.

Oops, probably should have looked it up before I said that comment, but I stand corrected.. 2 years behind the Thrashers bench as an assistant.

OK, so he's got similar experience to Eakins. Gotta start somewhere, I suppose? But I really think this next coach they really have to get right. I'm on the fence on Nelson. But if you keep going going with guys without a proven track record, you could be asking for the same results. So, it's hard to say what the right choice is. I think you have to ask though.. in what area(s) did Eakins improve the team? Do you hang on to him because the team has gone through so many coaches now? I don't think you can justify that entirely. Ungh.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:24 pm
I must admit that at the time of his hiring I did like the Eakins hire. It didn't last long though. I started getting worried when Dallas started doing things like banning donuts/junk food for the media & also doing things like taking down the Oilers memorabilia in the dressing room. Focusing on things like that never resonated with me. What does that have to do with improving a hockey club???

Also I remember earlier this year hearing that Eakins does not join the team on the ice for practice, instead watching from the stands. I'm not too sure if that was a one time thing or if he sometimes does & sometimes doesn't hit the ice for this valuable 1 on 1 time with his players but IMHO it's imperative for a coach to be on the ice with his team as much as humanly possible. Does anyone know the real story on this?
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:12 pm
I actually loved the whole donuts thing. I thought it was hilarious. Sometimes the media here get on my nerves, so it was comical to me to see Eakins boot them around a bit.

The thing I DIDN'T like though was his insistence on pushing the swarm on a group that clearly wasn't getting it. I give him credit for giving up on it eventually, but it took too long to do so.

As far as him being up in the stands, I'm guessing that's a once in a blue moon thing, cause I'm pretty sure I've seen a fair bit of practice pics/footage with him on the ice.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:28 pm
Racki wrote:I actually loved the whole donuts thing. I thought it was hilarious. Sometimes the media here get on my nerves, so it was comical to me to see Eakins boot them around a bit.

The thing I DIDN'T like though was his insistence on pushing the swarm on a group that clearly wasn't getting it. I give him credit for giving up on it eventually, but it took too long to do so.

As far as him being up in the stands, I'm guessing that's a once in a blue moon thing, cause I'm pretty sure I've seen a fair bit of practice pics/footage with him on the ice.

Yes from that perspective the donut thing was pretty funny but from a team perspective it raised some red flags in my view that maybe Eakins priorities were not where the perhaps should have been........ the on ice product.
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 pm
A dude can multitask.. :P

It was just his "no one is safe" attitude at play. It wasn't like he ignored the players and said "no donuts, media!", while Hall was off scarfing down chocolate cake. :lol: At the same time, he was instilling his fitness-first attitude in the players too.

Return to Edmonton Oilers