[ Click to visit the Putting On The Foil Blog ]    

[ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.ca (CANADIAN) through this link ]     [ Support the Foil by shopping on Amazon.com (UNITED STATES) through this link ]

Ch-ch-ch-ch-channggesss..

All talk about the Edmonton Oilers
General Manager
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:09 pm
So MacTavish has made some serious changes since being hired in April 2013. The Oilers have not a single roster player from 2009/10 season. Wow. Unbelievable. Complete turn-over.

What do you think of the team? Me, I like it. They've been focusing on "possession" players. They've failed in some regards, but I think for the most part this is a much improved team. They definitely overpaid on some guys, like Pouliot and Nikitin. But I think they are good additions.

I learned this past month that Gagner is a 4 letter word (thank you Chucker, for introducing me to that world)... so on that note, the team got a good player in return. This trade added much needed size. That's really what MacTavish has done in the last year.. added a lot of size.. and a bit of .. Corsi.

I'm always optimistic come this time of year. But this is looking more and more like an NHL team.

He mentioned he still wants another C, as well as a "shutdown" d-man. Music to my ears. Too bad they didn't grab Boyle though. $2M per is cheap.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:38 am
i'm happy with the changes, the best part of them is MacT didn't just aquire size, he got size with skill.

though I like Gagner as much as everyone seemed to hate him for his play he was always one of the first to stick up for his team mates something hardly anyone else did, and I think he'll surprise a lot of people in Phoenix where he will be able to play with bigger players and within an actual structure, something the Oilers lacked for a lot of years.
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:48 pm
yah My thoughts on Gagner were similar to yours. But I will say that he did have a fairly weak defensive game and I think that part was detrimental to the team. The critiques about his toughness on the puck, that was something I didn't quite agree with, but maybe I was blinded there and couldn't see it.
Coach
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:39 am
Still don't understand why we've not signed Daniel Winnik to a 1-2 year deal for about a million per. Serviceable solid checking line winger who can PK.
General Manager of the VIKINGS

NORACK CUP CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16
FHL PLAYOFF CHAMPION 2013-14, 2014-15
General Manager
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:17 pm
Ya, I'd agree. But perhaps he's being picky and doesn't want anything to do with the Oilers? I haven't heard anywhere that the Oilers were interested though, which, agreed, is wrong.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 pm
NorwegianOiler wrote:Still don't understand why we've not signed Daniel Winnik to a 1-2 year deal for about a million per. Serviceable solid checking line winger who can PK.

Totally agree, I said pretty much the exact same thing yesterday on a Lowetide thread.

I can't believe he's still available.
-Bringing mediocrity to a new level of awesome-

Return to Edmonton Oilers